BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was always under the impression that there wasn't any difference between both flywheels, LUK and OEM, except for the branding.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Yesterday I replaced my OEM flywheel with a brand new LUK flywheel and the mechanic and friend who worked on the swap told me that there was a significant difference in weight. He says the LUK flywheel is lighter!
How come I never read this anywhere before? <o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I was always under the impression that there wasn't any difference between both flywheels, LUK and OEM, except for the branding.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Yesterday I replaced my OEM flywheel with a brand new LUK flywheel and the mechanic and friend who worked on the swap told me that there was a significant difference in weight. He says the LUK flywheel is lighter!
How come I never read this anywhere before? <o:p></o:p>
The OEM flywheel and clutch were ALWAYS manufactured by Luk. The aftermarket Luk part has always been 100% identical to stock. Unless Luk made a running change in design your mechanic a full decade after release of this part, your mechanic and friend are drinking some good beer. I vote for the latter, so ask them what brand.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
A running change is possible, but only likely IF:

a.) There were reports of issues or...
b.) This flywheel was used on a variety of models (or continues to be used) and Luk is trying to have one model satisfy the needs of multiple cars. This isn't uncommon with a lot of parts, but I would think this one is pretty unique in its applications.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts