BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Hell no. Dealerships cant touch the beast so absolutely NO for pep boys!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
OK, I'll be the dissenting opinion and say that in THEORY I would take it there for the following reasons:

1. Clutch replacements aren't rocket science - heck clutch technology in general hasn't changed much in a hundred or so years (OK, the throwout bearing are usually hydraulic now and some clutches are dual mass).

2. Pep Boys is generally not so good for diagnosis and better at parts swapping (true for a lot of shops really)

3. The clutch is a Luk unit - decent brand used by lots of folks on this board and others.

Having said all that. Here are some downsides

1. Ad is for clutches up to $275...the M5 unit lists for $314 on their website so you'll be on the hook for the additional $39 dollars - no biggie.

2. Does not include a new flywheel or flywheel refinishing. BMW now charges an INSANE amount for a new flywheel - $1300+ - and Pep Boys doesn't even show to carry it. Pelican Parts lists a Luk flywheel for $775. If your car needs a refinish or new one - you could be in trouble here - when you are working on your own car that's one thing, but when a shop is halfway into the job you can be sort of held hostage in these situations (not true for just Pep Boys obviously).

3. The BMW vs. Pep Boys Factor - invariably, Pep Boys will come up with some excuse for why they can't do your car. As an example, I couldn't get my wife's car aligned by them or various suspension parts replaced because of the "special BMW requirements". In the case of the suspension parts that meant: tighten the bolts with a loaded suspension and X lbs of weight in the seats, trunk, etc (all of which can essentially be done with some bodies in the car simulating this - which is ironic because the weights are in fact simulating bodies).

Anyway, my guess is that if you take it to them they will tell you outright they can't do it OR will give you some excuse part way into the job as to why they can't do it or complete it.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
The one I bought long ago didnt...maybe it's changed

perhaps; but, i'd still be willing to bet 50% of them throw it out and remove the self-adjusting mechanism, just like high-volume glass installers remove all the spacer blocks from E39 windsheilds because they think they're just packaging.

·
Registered
879 Posts
The one I bought long ago didnt...maybe it's changed
The current LUK kits should come with the SAC mechanism pre-loaded and locked in place. They don't come with the centering tool, but that's readily available from a number of sources.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
They don't come with the centering tool, but that's readily available from a number of sources.
The last (4) E39 M5 clutch kits I installed in the past 16 months did come with the centering tool and the SAC. All of which were purchased from Ebay.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
they come with the disc, pp, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and generic alignment tool. the tool you have to cut in half to use correctly.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Sure and that homeless dude that hangs out on the corner shouting at unseen demons would probably do a good job baby sitting your kids and watching your house....

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Sure and that homeless dude that hangs out on the corner shouting at unseen demons would probably do a good job baby sitting your kids and watching your house....

Dude, your signature is

HUGE......

·
Registered
2,022 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
The only think I buy at PepBoys is oil for my old car. Everything else at that place is........ including their labor......
Heck I don't even drive my M5 to PepBoys :eek: !

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I use it to keep track of all my maint...but you are entirely correct I will work on it.

·
Banned
106 Posts
so did anybody actually take advantage of the offer? I'm curious to hear if pepboys came through in the clutch... (see what i did there :grinyes:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts