BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I got my 06 with 31k miles, it was making a little of the VANOS noise in idle. I did my own oil change with Liqui/Lubro Moly Race tech 10W60, and I have not heard this noise since (overall quieter). Also I have used my car for over a month now and my oil level has not dropped any from the day I did the oil change. With the Castrol the Vanos noise was audible and the oil compsumption was higher. Seems like the Moly is a better oil.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> Has anyone else experienced this?

P.S Did not use Castrol because here in PR it costs $21 to $30 dollars a liter, I got the Moly for 10 to 11 dollars a liter. My local dealer cuoted me at almost 400 dollars on just the oil and filter (no labor). I got a MANN oil filter and 9 liters of Moly for $120.

·
Registered
311 Posts
$120 is definitely cheaper than $400!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I've heard good things about liqui-moly, but i have yet ti tried their motor oil. I've been running redline 10w-60 motor oil in mine and has no issues.

·
Registered
452 Posts
My M5 has Lubro Moly oil. Zero issues.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i am using the 10-60 liqui moly on my car, better oil temps then the castrol anytime.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I use Lubro/Liquid Moly, based on the review of oil specifications it is second to none.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Lubro/Liquid Moly ive heard is made in germany from what i hear and is just as good and a tab cheaper but sofar reviews are up and down but seems like its just as good any more feedback ?

·
Registered
230 Posts
It sounds good, but it would be helpful if someone sent a sample to Blackstone for oil analysis after 7k miles or so to see how it holds up.

·
Registered
766 Posts
using oils other than TWS

One reason to beware when choosing oils other than TWS is that the oil may contain phosphorus compounds. These compounds are used to enhance the anti-wear properties of lubricating oil. Phosphorus is also chemical poison for catalytic converters, reducing their effectiveness.

TWS has no phosphorus, so it's not likely to kill the cats, especially at the rate than many M5s consume oil. Not wanting to replace the cats down the road, I've stuck with TWS. A little savings now could cost me a lot in the future, especially since I plan to keep mine for quite a few more years.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
One reason to beware when choosing oils other than TWS is that the oil may contain phosphorus compounds. These compounds are used to enhance the anti-wear properties of lubricating oil. Phosphorus is also chemical poison for catalytic converters, reducing their effectiveness.

TWS has no phosphorus, so it's not likely to kill the cats, especially at the rate than many M5s consume oil. Not wanting to replace the cats down the road, I've stuck with TWS. A little savings now could cost me a lot in the future, especially since I plan to keep mine for quite a few more years.
I'm running catless so that shouldn't be an issue :)

Reactions: USAF and MIGHTY5

·
Registered
766 Posts
TWS

Ten - W- Sixty

·
Registered
39 Posts
Buenos dias

PRM5 donde conseguiste el aceite.. Yo estoy por el área del señorial y trabajo
En Humacao.. Me gustaría tratar ese aceite... Como te ha seguido funcionando
El carro?

·
Registered
53 Posts
hi

Buenos dias

El carro?

Saludos DRM5 compre el aceite Liqui/Lubro Moly $55 el JUG Race tech 10W60 por este post y
trabaja mejor en temperatura que el Castrol 10w-60 y incluso no se quema como el
Castrol , De ahora en adelante cero castrol.

Liqui/Lubro Moly Race tech 10W60 is best for me than Castrol 10w-60 because the evaporation
point is burn less than castrol.And the temp of my car run best with Liqui/Lubro Moly Race tech 10W60.

Vamos a reunirnos los M5 , Ah y el aceite compralo en Euro Mania en Guaynabo

·
Registered
452 Posts
Saludos DRM5 compre el aceite Liqui/Lubro Moly $55 el JUG Race tech 10W60 por este post y
trabaja mejor en temperatura que el Castrol 10w-60 y incluso no se quema como el
Castrol , De ahora en adelante cero castrol.

Liqui/Lubro Moly Race tech 10W60 is best for me than Castrol 10w-60 because the evaporation
point is burn less than castrol.And the temp of my car run best with Liqui/Lubro Moly Race tech 10W60.
Si, opino lo mismo! siempro uso Lubro en mi M5.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Haven't had a problem with Castrol and it's $12/L from the dealer where I am so no cost difference either.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Gracias antonio y Miguex...Cuando se quieran reunir yo estoy disponible.
Miguex que hace en canada.. temperaturas no aptas para latinos...jajaja

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Buenos dias

El carro?
Hola, lo compre en piezas europeas en caguas. Me salio a $50 por 5 litros. Me funciona mejor que Castrol TWS, no se consume tanto como el TWS Y los VANOS suenan menos. Soy del area de bayamon me dejan saber cuando se quieren reunir.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts