BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I am doing a major service on my 82 Alpina B7S, and wondering about fluids:

Oil: Mobil One 0/40 or 15/50? keeping in mind I am in Canada, but like to drive to California.
Transmission: ?
Differential:?
Brake: BMW/Mercedes/ Dot 4
Coolant: BMW..

The Gearbox is the ZF in this case, conventional shift pattern, build sheet says "Overdrive".

Any advise? Any tricks to the Diff with oil radiator?

Cheers, Lawrence

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hi Lawrence,

Whats the milage of the car?
What (engine) oil did you use on previous services?
How much was the oil consumption?
Is the car only used for long runs or also for "supermarket trips"?

When I know these answers it must more easier to choose the right oil.

For gearbox and diff I shall have a look.
Coolant is the same BMW used for the M30 engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The car is new to me buy the service records have 0/40 Mobil One. Car has 82,000 miles, and doesn't have any indication of oil consumption or any engine problems, it has been on synthetic for the last 20 years from what I can tell. I usually just drive the car on longer highway trips, it is not much fun in town.

The main reason for my post is that the local BMW guys are putting ATF in manual transmissions in Canada, presumably because of the viscosity, and shifting ease in cold weather. But that doesn't sound like a good idea to me...
Cheers, Lawrence

·
Registered
756 Posts
If it doesn't consume oil than stick whit Mobil 1 0W-40. I use it to in high perfromance engines. A lot better than thicker oil (no lubrication for the camshaft which is a high attention point on M10,M20 and M30 based engines).

ATF in manual gearbox is common on BMW vehicles. Gear shifting will be less hard in cold weather. Only negative side is more noise from the drive train. Thats only, no wear problems are indicated or stated by BMW. Otherwise SEA 80.

Do not use synthetic or multigrade oil in de gearbox in any case (says BMW).

·
Registered
424 Posts
Make the switch to Motul. They know what they are doing when it comes to lubricants, I trust them in all aspects.

·
4,395 Posts
huh?

is it a conversion thing or are Canadian Oils simply thicker due to processes and additives?

U.S. 0W40

@ 40º C 75
@ 100º C 13.5
Vis Index 185

HTHS mPa•s @ 150ºC 3.8
Total Base Number 11.8
Sulfated Ash, wt% 1.3
Density @15.6 ºC, g/ml 0.85

CANADA 0W40

@ 40ºC 80
@ 100ºC 14.3
Vis Index 187

Sulfated Ash, wt% 1.2
HTHS Visc mPa-s @ 150ºC 3.6
Density @ 15ºC kg/l 0.855

U.S. 15W50

@ 100ºC 18
@ 40ºC 125
Vis Index 160

Sulfated Ash, wt% 1.21
HTHS Vis mPa•s @ 150ºC 4.5
Density @15.6º C g/ml 0.87

CANADA 15W50

@ 40º C 131.2
@ 100º C 18.1
Vis Index 154

Sulfated Ash, wt% 1.21
HTHS Vis mPa•s @ 150ºC 4.50
Density @15º C kg/l 0.87

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the same problem here,

I got the car back in July and it as been stored since then, I had to buy new tires and I said to myself why buy them now and drive for 2 more months...anyway I want to change the oil in the transmission and differential this spring and I was wondering what I should put too.

My engine is the M50 (Alpina B3 3.0) it as been running on 10W60, but I dont know about the rest.

The transmission is an automatic switchtronic too.

thanks,

Benoit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts