BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been reported that Alpina is working on an LSD for the B5. Did anyone heard anything about this?

Someone, who has close contacts to Alpina, stated that recently and I was wondering if it was just a rumour or did Alpina listen to the complaints about bringing the power to the asphalt.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Yes, they will do one was the word fro mFrankfurt. It was avail. for the B8 4,6 as well, not too many sold. Same will probably go for the B5, but it is good to have to silence the critisism from that Autocar test.

Oh, as they said at IAA: Don't track your Alpina. It should not be on the track!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Gustav said:
Oh, as they said at IAA: Don't track your Alpina. It should not be on the track!
I thought they would be quite good round a track - especially a badly surfaced one.

I would still take the B5 over the M5 - LSD or no LSD - I dont think my balls are really big enough to explore the absolute limits of either car - so if the B5 can only 99% of the M5 then that is more than enough for me.

PS I cant afford either!

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Alpinas are a bit soft on the track and you really cannot compare a M5 vs a B5 on the track. Just as you reallly couldnt compare a B6 3,5 vs M3 E30 on a track. But on Autobahn its bye bye :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Does this mean that B5 Alpina's in 2006 will have a LSD ?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Here's hoping it's also a retro-fit option...

I suspect that, with 285 P-Zero Corsas on the back end and an LSD, the B5 would be a much sharper driver's tool - body roll doesn't necessarily slow you down too much if you adjust your style to it.

Having said that, my wife now wants to move to the 'burbs, so I can't see me getting that many chances to stretch my new baby's legs on a country road, anyway...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Andy Bovenseipen took me for several fast laps around Donnington in the B5 (all electronic intervention off) and it was pretty impressive. Some black lines out of corners but blindingly quick with limo comfort. Doubt he could have got around any quicker with an LSD!

·
Banned
664 Posts
Frank Sytner took me round Donnington that night too ;)

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Am I the only person who wasn't invited to that gig???

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think they pal'd you out because you asked for badge deletion on your new car! :7:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Heuer said:
I think they pal'd you out because you asked for badge deletion on your new car! :7:
Yeah, cos the silver Alpina stripes are oh-so-subtle! :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
hythe said:
Here's hoping it's also a retro-fit option...

I suspect that, with 285 P-Zero Corsas on the back end and an LSD, the B5 would be a much sharper driver's tool - body roll doesn't necessarily slow you down too much if you adjust your style to it.

Having said that, my wife now wants to move to the 'burbs, so I can't see me getting that many chances to stretch my new baby's legs on a country road, anyway...
I understand from Sytner, who have just spoken with the factory, that a LSD is under development and should be an option from Spring 2006. A retrofit option will be available to customers, and Alpina are aware they probably need to do a good deal on a retrofit price to avoid upsetting early customers.

Steve

·
Registered
890 Posts
I was informed,by ALPINA of course, that they will introduce LSD in the beginning of 2006 as an option.

·
Registered
339 Posts
In order to keep development costs down they need to spec it as standard into one of the cars - so I understand that the B6 coupe will feature the LSD as standard and it will be an option on the B5 and B7.

Apparently also in the testing stage they trialled the LSD from the M5 in a B5... it lasted 4 minutes!!! before it was destroyed apparently it couldn't cope with all that torque...

·
Registered
11 Posts
At the risk of sounding ignorant, I never knew Alpina produced normal differential cars?!?! How can a 15 year old 325 come with LSD when a high performance high speed saloon like the B5 run without one?!

Sam

·
Registered
339 Posts
none of the E39 B10's came with LSD's nor the E46's not sure aboutthe E36's ( i think the B8 did... )

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sampharo said:
At the risk of sounding ignorant, I never knew Alpina produced normal differential cars?!?! How can a 15 year old 325 come with LSD when a high performance high speed saloon like the B5 run without one?!

Sam
I would agree with the sentiment - it is an omission and one they are putting right. I think part of the answer, however, is that modern traction and stability control systems are so sophisticated that they can be tuned to affect a car's handling and thus avoid the need for a LSD. However, personally, I like to be able to drive a mechanical feeling car and I don't want electronics nannying me when I don't want them!

Steve

·
Premium Member
8,803 Posts
D4 said:
none of the E39 B10's came with LSD's nor the E46's not sure aboutthe E36's ( i think the B8 did... )
It was an option on the B8.

And I believe it was an option on the E39s and E46s.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
the lsd will be available as an option from early next year according to alpina, depends on how high you want to get :1: :1: :cheers:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts