BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife needs a new car and we found a nice 2008 Land Rover 3 Discovery (LR3) with most all options and 40,000 on the clock. Black exterior with Alpaca/Black 2 tone Interior. 4.4L V8 and with DVD, GPS, 3 Sun roofs, front and rear heated seats, etc. $35K out the door. Anyone here own one of these trucks and if so how reliable are these. We need a third row to haul the kids+family/friends. Opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Oh god please dont do it. I hope Im not offending any RR owners but my family has experience with two models.
RR sport and LR Freelander SE...All sorts of issues. I know they look very tempting because they look and ride so nice and are cheap
used but they are just aweful.

Do some googling my friend....Im pretty sure I could fill a page of issues regarding our experiences with these nightmares..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ations-unreliable-cars-consumer-watchdog.html

I would personally look at the Lexus GX if your looking at midsize SUV's. I owned 2 LX470 behemoths that were
Bulletproof.....same drivetrain...but there are many good SUVs out there...

·
Registered
353 Posts
FWIW we were shopping for a nice SUV for my wife a few years ago. I thought the LR3 would be cool and we tested it. The best way I can describe my impression of it is "hard." The modern but rugged design and definitely the ride seem hard. Then we looked at the Volvo XC90 V8 Sport. Smooth, powerful, sophisticated. We went with the Volvo and love it. Completely trouble-free in almost 40k miles.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a 2008 HSE ... it is my winter DD and does all the heavy and dirty jobs for me....

Zero problems in 2.5 years, the 2008's also come with all regular maintenance paid by LR for 4 years

it is a heavy truck, and fuel economy wise is worst than the M5 in my hands
this is the first car/truck I had where you never feel any chassis flex under any conditions, the air suspension is great, the overall feeling
is like driving inside a concrete bunker on top of an air pillow...

0-60 is about 10 sec but once you pick up some speed it moves quite well, I have no problem driving it quite spirited in the highway,
handles pretty well actually despite being tall and heavy

YouTube - LR3 at the Nürburing

overall a great truck, except for the 0-60 times IMHO, fuel economy is to be expected from a 6000+ lbs truck

·
Registered
321 Posts
Oh god please dont do it. I hope Im not offending any RR owners but my family has experience with two models.
RR sport and LR Freelander SE...All sorts of issues. I know they look very tempting because they look and ride so nice and are cheap
used but they are just aweful.

Do some googling my friend....Im pretty sure I could fill a page of issues regarding our experiences with these nightmares..

Land Rovers voted the nation's most unreliable cars by consumer watchdog | Mail Online

I would personally look at the Lexus GX if your looking at midsize SUV's. I owned 2 LX470 behemoths that were
Bulletproof.....same drivetrain...but there are many good SUVs out there...
I follow all the LR forums much as I follow this forum, and the amount of complaints is minimal though, in most cases nothing serious actually.

had an LX470 myself and although a great truck it does not ride as well as the LR's, and I hated the fact that it showed rust after 2 years and that the oil based suspension would freeze in the winter.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Two LR3's in a row , 2006 and 2008 , no problems. 2006 was 75k+ klms and the 2008 was sold lately , had 66k klms. Only thing worth mentioning that on the newer LR3 the steeringwheel starter peeling, but was replaced under warranty in 2 hours (wasn't even late to work)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
X5 not an option?
I need a third row that can actually fit people. Also the back seat offers more room in the LR3. I like the X5 but the wife thinks its still too small.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Ahh I understand. The X5 has useless 3rd row seating. Of course I think the leg room in the LR3 in the second row is a joke. Probably how they squeeze more room for the backseats :)

I don't speak for the LR or the RR as a whole but friends and neighbors have sworn not to buy another LR or RR again due to their persistent problems.

The Caddy Escalade? Nissan Armada, Infinity Q56? I know bigger but does offer great 3rd row options.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have had a D90, 2001 Range Rover HSE and 06 Range Rover. All Great. 01 currently has 120k and no problems. 06 had a/c clutch problem, but otherwise perfect. I will buy another one when needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Beautiful trucks to drive but......

Rangie owners are a loyal bunch. I had a Disco II since new, it was "perfect" for 3 years. All of sudden, its like it was engineered to fail on the 37th month. Trans,moonroof,window motors,cooling,radio,brake pads annually,alignment issue. You name it. It broke once the warranty expired. Absolutely lovely to drive but a nightmare regarding maintenance. Just my 02 cents, take it for what its worth. Make no mistake about it, we are a loyal bunch but its a love hate relationship for sure.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking of adding an aftermarket warranty after the manufacturer warranty runs out. I would image that would be helpful. I bought one for my M5 and it has come in handy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rangie owners are a loyal bunch. I had a Disco II since new, it was "perfect" for 3 years. All of sudden, its like it was engineered to fail on the 37th month. Trans,moonroof,window motors,cooling,radio,brake pads annually,alignment issue. You name it. It broke once the warranty expired. Absolutely lovely to drive but a nightmare regarding maintenance. Just my 02 cents, take it for what its worth. Make no mistake about it, we are a loyal bunch but its a love hate relationship for sure.
Now that sounds like the ML Mercedes we bought new in 2001. Great until the warranty ran out. After that, nothing but problems. Transmission, electrical, security, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im not denying they are a sweet ride but I assume you are like me, a glutton for punishment. There are so many other options out there.
I would suggest you give your head a shake and resolve the lust issues before jumping in. lovelove Now Im basing my experience on my new Disco II not an LR3 but I was part of that internet community for years so I learned a lot.

On the other hand, 50% will say perfection while the other 50% say,stay away. I now prefer to buy cars where 95% say great and 5% cry foul. Im not saying others are perfect thats for sure but you might want to explore other options. My buddy is a hardcore LR fanatic, he wont drive anything else, anything from Japan is junk but hes the first honest person to admit his Disco is not reliable at all but he doesnt care. Google is indeed your friend - LR3 lemon
Once again just my 02 cents.

BTW My Mother owned an old XJ6 for 20 years and never had one electrical issue so there you go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello mate, owned a 55plate diesel for the past year, initially had quite a few problems but all sorted under warranty, suspension etc, I prefer them to rr sport as I also needed the 3rd row and just more practical all-round, probably the best out the lot as an all rounder, look the part as well! Do it,

·
Registered
321 Posts
Michigan M5

The LR3 much like the M5 was designed to do things that none of us do most of the time, check out some of the youtube videos of it wheeling and you will understand that during mall and PTA duty the truck does not even brake a sweat, much like the M5 does not break a sweat at 90 mph in the interstate

IMHO the one piece of it that might be questionable is the Jaguar derived engine, although in real life they seem to be holding pretty well, even the SC ones. The rest of the systems are pretty much what you would have in any other similar make these days, the trans is a ZF unit, much like BMW's, the audio is HK exactly the same as BMW's. etc etc

Every major system in the truck is sealed from water and dust, including the engine, trans, electronics etc, and designed to survive the rigor of wheeling over the most unforgiving land. Check how well the seal system of the doors is put together, and have a look at the suspension components and under the truck. Then go and compare with the X5 ..... a tin can in comparison..

So... I would worry more about the history of the specific truck you have in mind rather that anything else...

Did they do all the maintenance to date ?
Did the previous owners use it to tow, did he use it for wheeling, any signs of water crossings, mud anywhere etc
any signs of neglect / abuse, I am sure you know the drill

the price sounds right, although maybe you can find another one with 30 K miles for about the same price if you get lucky, my dealer seems to move them pretty fast

Finally get the extended warranty if you can

Good luck with you decision

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Michigan M5

The LR3 much like the M5 was designed to do things that none of us do most of the time, check out some of the youtube videos of it wheeling and you will understand that during mall and PTA duty the truck does not even brake a sweat, much like the M5 does not break a sweat at 90 mph in the interstate

IMHO the one piece of it that might be questionable is the Jaguar derived engine, although in real life they seem to be holding pretty well, even the SC ones. The rest of the systems are pretty much what you would have in any other similar make these days, the trans is a ZF unit, much like BMW's, the audio is HK exactly the same as BMW's. etc etc

Every major system in the truck is sealed from water and dust, including the engine, trans, electronics etc, and designed to survive the rigor of wheeling over the most unforgiving land. Check how well the seal system of the doors is put together, and have a look at the suspension components and under the truck. Then go and compare with the X5 ..... a tin can in comparison..

So... I would worry more about the history of the specific truck you have in mind rather that anything else...

Did they do all the maintenance to date ?
Did the previous owners use it to tow, did he use it for wheeling, any signs of water crossings, mud anywhere etc
any signs of neglect / abuse, I am sure you know the drill

the price sounds right, although maybe you can find another one with 30 K miles for about the same price if you get lucky, my dealer seems to move them pretty fast

Finally get the extended warranty if you can

Good luck with you decision

You are quite informative. The car has had all regular maintenance done and there have been no real problems based on the carfax report. The truck was driven by a mom and I highly doubt that they took this off roading. I am buying it from a Land Rover Dealer and they initially leased it out so they have all records for the car. I talked to the salesman and I can add another 2 years and up to 75000 miles to the warranty for $2900. I think we might go that route. I just sold the ML350 today so time is of the essence.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. After some research I see the LR3 is actually less problematic than the Discovery's of years past.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I own the 06 LR3 and I did not have any problem at all. The LR3 are just like any other SUV, when the service light came on just bring it to the service station to get it done and keep on trucking. The ride is good, and the air suspension work very well for long distance drive. I took my family to LA from the Bay Area 3 times a year and hall all kind of stuff with the LR3 and I never have any problem with. I think you'r like it.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
My wife needs a new car and we found a nice 2008 Land Rover 3 Discovery (LR3) with most all options and 40,000 on the clock. Black exterior with Alpaca/Black 2 tone Interior. 4.4L V8 and with DVD, GPS, 3 Sun roofs, front and rear heated seats, etc. $35K out the door. Anyone here own one of these trucks and if so how reliable are these. We need a third row to haul the kids+family/friends. Opinions appreciated.
We have an '07 RRS Supercharged (same platform) and it has been a great vehicle. Nothing more than a hood latch sensor and a few other minor things. Handles great, is fast and has such road presence. I say go for it. Don't get mired in the sea of average SUV's, get a Land Rover. We have a continental warranty which added 2 yrs and 24k miles and is virtually bumper to bumper - it was offered to us by the dealer and they have been great on the few claims we had.

Regarding the ML Mercedes, our neighbors had an electrical fire start under the passenger seat which burned down their entire garage. Only the cement fireboard required by law saved the rest of the house.

These are my experiences with said vehicles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great cars, had a 2006 V8 SE for 3 years with zero issues and a 2008 SE for the last year with zero issues. Absolutely kid proof. Replacement car will be a LR4

1 - 20 of 26 Posts