BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Would you lower your E60 M5 again if given the choice?

• Yes, I would do it again. A lowered M5 is the only way to go

Votes: 30 83.3%
  • No, I would not lower my M5 again

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am about to pull the trigger on a set of H&R Lowering Springs, but want to see if the guys who have installed lowering springs on their cars would do it again.

Obviously, the car's looks are improved with the more aggressive stance.

However, is the ride affected much by lowering it? I test drove a car with RD Sports and definitely thought it was firmer but not in a bad way. Though it was just a 15 minute test drive and not long term ownership. Sometimes I feel that firmest EDC setting can be jittery at times, especially on bumpy roads.

Your feedback would be appreciated

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
nope, i would buy a worthy car, meaning one that a compromised ride wouldn't matter ......

·
Registered
135 Posts
i just

ordered a new m5- 08, and got HR lowering from the start.. my old m5-05 was also with, HR... looks good... i would say its like riding the car in sport mode, OEM...

if we say the three differences is normal, sport and race..

also its riding like you hit the EDC button one time... hope you can follow....

But it looks sick and very good... and its more firm..

if you search under my name you can find pics of my new Alpine white m5, and its lowered...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I would definitely lower again. I have the Dinan set-up and there is very minimal sacrifice in ride quality. The cost/benefit was a no-brainer for me.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have the H&R and If anything I think the springs are alot more progresive, over small bumps at slow speed it is as good if not better that stock, but once moving at speed or bigger bumps the springs firm up quickly.

No complaints from my wife either and she would complain if I had the EDC set to normal over some roads with the OEM springs.

I'd say it is probably about half a EDC setting different.

No problems with the height either, I'm a little more careful when parking towards a kerb, in fact I tend to reverse in now, but no problems with speed bumps etc.

·
Registered
538 Posts
So, I was thinking that the EDC button affects more than the suspension dampening (i.e. steering also). Maybe I am not correct and need to re-read the manual.

Do you guys find that you rarely use normal mode and never or hardly ever use sport?

Basically, I am usually in normal or sport and rarely in comfort with OEM...

I am thinking it feels like the steering loosens up a bit from normal or sport to comfort. I know P500S also firms up the steering. So is everyone with springs cruising around in comfort mode all or most of the time or are you still able to use sport? Is sport too stiff even for high performance driving with springs?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just bought the H&R springs and spacers. I can't wait to get them installed. I have not decided if I will add the Dinan FRC and Anti-sway

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Low is the only way to go....

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
my H&R's are coming in tomorrow.......can't wait to install

hey bill, where did you buy the spacers and who are you going with to install?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have H&R springs... I hardly notice a difference in the ride quality on the comfort setting, a bit more firm, not really rough... its a good feeling...

I do definately notice it on the sport setting but its not really all that bad...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the input guys. I decided to order the RD Sport springs and can't wait to have them installed.

How many hours labor should I expect the shop to charge to install the springs? Is this something that can be done by a home mechanic?

Tony

·
Registered
65 Posts
What..??!!

Thanks for all the input guys. I decided to order the RD Sport springs and can't wait to have them installed.

How many hours labor should I expect the shop to charge to install the springs? Is this something that can be done by a home mechanic?

Tony
:eek:oohhh: That aluminum suspension can be sensitive to knocks. One slipped spanner and you could damage it without knowing. I would not have thought it worth the risk.

That said, the crazy mechanical tinkerer in me would love to have a go....

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

Tony
Unless you have done springs before, I would stay away from this one. My H&R springs took about 6 hours to install from a shop that knows what they are doing. The rears are a b*tch.....

Cheers ///

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I would not do it again on the M5. It's either a full suspension or OEM the whole way. This is the first and last time I go with just springs.

'Rocket

1 - 20 of 22 Posts