BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I use to own a Corvette ZR-1 that was prone to overheating in SoCal. Several Corvette mechanics recommended that I add Red Line WaterWetter to my radiator. I did and the water temps fell about 15 degrees which was the margin I needed to prevent further overheating.

This weekend I added WaterWetter to my Beast. I've been told the cooler an engine runs the more power it produces. This may be a myth but I thought I would give it a try. The first thing I noticed after adding WaterWetter was my temg gauge showed a decrease of about 10-15 degrees which is what I expected. The next thing I noticed was my oil temp also dropped the same amount. This surprised me! I don't belive this is coincidence. I then added WaterWetter to my 98 328is and achieved the same results. Below is the WaterWetter claim from Red Line. I am a believer! :M5launch:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=prodtext>WaterWetter®</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=red height=1><SPACER height="1" type="block"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
WaterWetter® is a unique wetting agent for cooling systems which reduces coolant temperatures by as much as 30ºF. This liquid product can be used to provide rust and corrosion protection in plain water for racing engines, which provides much better heat transfer properties than glycol-based antifreeze. Or it can be added to new or used antifreeze to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems. Designed for modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze systems. Compatible with all antifreezes, including the latest long-life variations.

·
Registered
250 Posts
4ocious said:
I used to own a Corvette ZR-1 that was prone to overheating. Several Corvette mechanics recommended that I add Red Line WaterWetter to my radiator. I did and the water temps fell about 15 degrees which was the margin I needed to prevent further overheating.

This weekend I added WaterWetter to my Beast. I've been told the cooler an engine runs the more power it produces. This may be a myth but I thought I would give it a try. The first thing I noticed after adding WaterWetter was my temg gauge showed a decrease of about 10-15 degrees which is what I expected. The next thing I noticed was my oil temp also dropped the same amount. This surprised me! I don't belive this is coincidence. I then added WaterWetter to my 98 328is and achieved the same results. Below is the WaterWetter claim from Red Line. I am a believer! :M5launch:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"
border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=prodtext>WaterWetter®</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=red height=1><SPACER height="1" type="block"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
WaterWetter® is a unique wetting agent for cooling systems which reduces coolant temperatures by as much as 30ºF. This liquid product can be used to provide rust and corrosion protection in plain water for racing engines, which provides much better heat transfer properties than glycol-based antifreeze. Or it can be added to new or used antifreeze to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems. Designed for modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze systems. Compatible with all antifreezes, including the latest long-life variations.
Any pics and info where to get one? Thanks

·
Registered
12,776 Posts
I thought we had this discussion once before, and that the temp reductions were in the head. The WW smoothed out the temp fluctuations. Of course, it can't do any harm and it is hard to argue with the gauges...........................
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
artur323 said:
Any pics and info where to get one? Thanks
My 03 with 12.5K miles runs GREAT so I wasn't looking for WaterWetter when I ran across them at my local Auto Zone. I've also seen WaterWetter advertised in Bavarian AutoSport and several other magazines e.g., Roundel I believe. I paid $6.98. I believe you can also order WaterWetter directly from Red Line.com. Sorry, but I didn't think to take any pictures.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
gsfent said:
...Of course, it can't do any harm...

I used WW in my drag cars, but I don't trust it in a $25,000 BMW engine.

·
10,445 Posts
did you just dump it into the overflow reservoir? I don't see a direct way into the radiator.
Mike

·
2,485 Posts
ELEVENS said:
I used WW in my drag cars, but I don't trust it in a $25,000 BMW engine.

Why not? Hot spots in a block or more importantly, a head, is a problem. Drag car or a high compression street engine. WW is just a base, its not like it is going to eat away your heads or cooling system.

BTW, the S62 short engine is $18,702.00, p/n 11001407802.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mottati said:
did you just dump it into the overflow reservoir? I don't see a direct way into the radiator.
Mike
I poured it directly into the radiator after starting the car, letting it warm up, saw the thermostat pop and then I added it.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I do not trust water wetter for use in an E39....a $10K SCCA Club Ford or ponycar, yes.

I have two concerns about this product. First, it is widely accepted that water wetter drops temps about 5 degrees. Secondly, it has not been tested for use in a BMW. Red Line does no compatibility testing with BMW & using is akin to taking generic anti-freeze and dumping it in. That said, I will concede that quite a few E36 M3 owners are experimenting with Red Line Water Wetter and problems are not being reported (yet). As with other coolant system issues, results may not be known for years & each "motor type" will have it's own corrosion & gasket degradation concerns.

If it reduces temps more than 10 degrees, then I think the ratio of coolant to H2O has probably been altered or a pre-existing issue like low coolant level in rad has been corrected. As we know, more coolant increases temps while raising the boiling point. More water and/or water wetter reduces temps.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
de Witt said:
Why not?...
My reservations are based (OK, biased) upon RedLine's poor track record regarding compatibility issues. Similarly, my BMW gets BMW oil, while my other cars are perfectly happy with Mobile1. BMW does it's homework, and ties its' warranty to that research.

de Witt said:
...the S62 short engine is $18,702.00, p/n 11001407802.
$25,000 is only a number I heard thrown around - never needed to get an actual quote! Not to be argumentative, but $18,702.00 is for a short block? W/ heads, etc. aren't we getting close to $25Large? Just curious, now.

·
2,485 Posts
ELEVENS said:
My reservations are based (OK, biased) upon RedLine's poor track record regarding compatibility issues. Similarly, my BMW gets BMW oil, while my other cars are perfectly happy with Mobile1. BMW does it's homework, and ties its' warranty to that research.
Yeah, the truth of the matter is that un-tracked cars dont need WW. Never had the need to put WW in any of my BMWs.

ELEVENS said:
$25,000 is only a number I heard thrown around - never needed to get an actual quote! Not to be argumentative, but $18,702.00 is for a short block? W/ heads, etc. aren't we getting close to $25Large? Just curious, now.
That includes the heads. All you need are throttles, plenum, and electronics, but you already have those pieces.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
de Witt - thanks for the info. Certainly $19K is nothing to sneeze at, either :cheers:

·
Banned
300 Posts
I performed a full OEM coolant flush with Redline waterwetter combination.....it lowered my oil temperture by several degrees ....average of 165F in 85F+ ambient temp.

·
Registered
530 Posts
marcvip said:
I performed a full OEM coolant flush with Redline waterwetter combination.....it lowered my oil temperture by several degrees ....average of 180F in 85F+ ambient temp.
Thats interesting; not the cooler temps, but that you did a coolant flush yourself--did I read that right? I have read many posts dissuading the casual (or even experienced) mechanic from doing this yourself, as the BMW factory coolant exchange system gets all those hard to reach areas in the block.

Was there any special techniques you used to do this--assuming of course, you did this yourself...

·
Banned
300 Posts
I had the BMW dealer perform this.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I've used WW for about nine years in the M3 w/o any apparent problems. It visibly dropped the water temp. guage needle the width of the needle - I don't know how many degrees that corresponds to. Even so, I'm with Lscman on this, who's to say that the benefit outweighs the risk of using it?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I've been running it in every BMW I've had since the mid 80's.
I haven't had one issue with it in the E39's and I change my own coolant on the 540i with no problems.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
actually i believe that all Redline products meet or exceed BMW's standards...while the Water Wetter does not state it out right, it would make sense. BMW makes no products such as this so what kind of standard would there be for it.

I wonder why people are so against it but will run Redline's gear oil/tranny fluid with no issues..

also here is a write up by redline on it
http://www.redlineoil.com/whitePaper/17.pdf

·
Banned
300 Posts
Well we now know that Redline tranny fluid with hurt the M5 tranny seals.....maybe that's where the paranoia comes from...

·
Banned
300 Posts
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
I wonder why people are so against it but will run Redline's gear oil/tranny fluid with no issues..
Well we now know that Redline tranny fluid with hurt the M5 tranny seals.....maybe that's where the paranoia comes from...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts