BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep getting an intermittant warning that my oil is low. Only seems to happen when I turn the engine off.

I check the dipstick every time.

There's plenty of oil in there.

Faulty sensor? If so, where is it!!??

Cheers,

R

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hi Rob

1. Not coming to rest on a hill are you? Oil would be low in the sump as it is still distributed around the engine?

2. I think the sensor is located on the bottom of the sump pan. have a look under the car and you will see an electronic component secured to the sump pan.

Cheers

brian

Rob Plummer said:
Keep getting an intermittant warning that my oil is low. Only seems to happen when I turn the engine off.

Cheers,

R

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've also had false warnings form the oil level sensor. As Brian says - steep hills can often confuse the system - my false warnings tend to follow a drive which involves a steep hill with a hairpin-type corner. It's a sign that you're driving the car as M-Division intended...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys.

Happens most often when parking at home, which as you know Kurt, involves driving down a steep hill - but then parking on the level.

BUT, it happens after a steady drive - not when I've been thrashing the nuts off it...................... ??????

Obviously nothing much to worry about, cos there IS oil in there - just a bit annoying as it makes me check the bl00dy engine oil every couple of days. But then again, that's no bad thing!!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Happening intermittantly when starting up engine now.

Checked oil level and it's above the bottom marker on the dipstick - so maybe it DOES need filling up!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Rob Plummer said:
Happening intermittantly when starting up engine now.

Checked oil level and it's above the bottom marker on the dipstick - so maybe it DOES need filling up!
I get the same thing...

A warning when I need to put oil in it!!!!

Steve

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Mine came on at just under half way!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
BURTON said:
Mine came on at just under half way!
Likewise mine comes on around half way!!

I guess the intention is to warn you that the oil needs topping up rather than, the thing is bone dry!!!

Steve

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mine also comes on when the oil is half way between the markings on the stick. I also know that in some cases it may signal if the electrical connection from the floater in the oilpan is a bit loose. If memory serves me right, there is a connector on the left hand side of the engine. Check and see if it is loose or if the hot engine can cause a malfunction.
On my car the actual electrical wiring was broken some 10 centimeters from the oilpan. I had a constant oil warning. I think it may have been hit by a stone or something.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Same thing in my car... lots of "low oil" alarms when i turn off the engine.

ilundber said:
Mine also comes on when the oil is half way between the markings on the stick. I also know that in some cases it may signal if the electrical connection from the floater in the oilpan is a bit loose. If memory serves me right, there is a connector on the left hand side of the engine. Check and see if it is loose or if the hot engine can cause a malfunction.
On my car the actual electrical wiring was broken some 10 centimeters from the oilpan. I had a constant oil warning. I think it may have been hit by a stone or something.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
same here, warning at 1/4 level between the markings when shutting off the
engine, this is an intended pre-warning to make the driver AWARE -
-
because, if you intend to take the car on a high-speed-ride for a long
distance, like 500 km on a german 'autobahn' with no speed limits, then
oil-consumption might rise to 1/2 liter and above, depending on the circumstances - this cud lead to a critical low-oil situation and you do NOT
wish to see a 'low-oil-warning' at high-speed, do you :mad:
-
so, it seems to be intended that a low-oil-warning is given 'early', just
to make you aware !!! :byebye: for normal driving there is no problem
as long as the oil-level is above the minimum-mark but it cud be IF you take
the car for long-distance high-speed run - 'does this make sense' ???

brgds
Karl

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Used to have a 525i M50, which would be fine when I drove it, and would give the low-oil warning after every time my then-girlfriend used it and switched it off. When asked how she drove it, she replied: "I always try to get from the tollbooth to the house under 8 minutes:rolleyes: , why?"

That's 10 miles of curvy backroads, so do your own maths....

When given a proper cool-down, the car never gave the warning. Never mind about her:hihi: .

Rob Plummer said:

Cheers,

R

·
Registered
183 Posts
I get the low oil warning when mine's about 1/3 up from minimum, so it looks like the warning was calibrated that way - which makes sense

1 - 15 of 15 Posts