BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have a M5 F10 year modell 2012-3 production. And I have notic a strange behavior with oil temp. The oil temp travels a bit, from 80-95 degrees C. I do not follow the gauge because it is not correct allways.

The coolant is almost allways at 105 degrees C. It drops a bit when you floor it and back to 105 like normal.

But the oil temp goes very low when I cruis on autobahn, all from 110km/h to 180km/h it is very low. I am not used to it from my old M5 e60 when it allways stayed at 95-100ish.

When I drive on city or speeds up to 90km/h it stayes stabil at 88-93 degrees C the oil temp.

Is this normal? Should it be like this? Oil level sensor also works good and no fault codes. No fault codes or something like that. Car runs perfect really. Here is a picture down below. This is like 2-3 hours of driving and gauge is that low. From what I have calculated, the first pin from 70 degrees is like 95ish degrees. So that must be like 80 on that speed.

Hope someone have any input on this.

Regards

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
What is the ambient air temp? (outside air) That temp looks fine to me if cruising for an extended period of time and the outside temp is cooler or cold.

Edit - my bad, I realized I can see the outside air is 17C. The oil cooler is large on this car. That said, the engine manual states the oil thermostat opens at 100C. Maybe you have a problem where it is not closing enough, but with low load conditions for so long, it is possible the engine isn't generating enough heat to warm the oil further?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the ambient air temp? (outside air) That temp looks fine to me if cruising for an extended period of time and the outside temp is cooler or cold.

Edit - my bad, I realized I can see the outside air is 17C. The oil cooler is large on this car. That said, the engine manual states the oil thermostat opens at 100C. Maybe you have a problem where it is not closing enough, but with low load conditions for so long, it is possible the engine isn't generating enough heat to warm the oil further?

Yes, should be a normal sensor to change out? I have no fault codes or something like that.

it is only at speeds from 110km/h it drops in oil temp. Under that it goes up. Some say it is normal, some say water thermostat but that is also good and it feels like it should behave diffrent if it was water thermostat.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts