BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me say hello. I have been a member here for a few years, but really just lurked now and then. I have owned and maintained a number of M vehicles (a couple of E46 M3s, and an M635CSi), and am seriously looking at an E39 M5.

I spent a fair amount of time searching on this topic, but likely did not put the right words together to find what I was looking for. I apologize if that is the case; please give me a bag of sand and I will go pound away (search terms or a link would be much appreciated too!).

Anyway, tomorrow I am checking out a 2002 M5 with 53k miles on it. Current owner has had it in his posession for 4 years. From speaking with the shop that has maintained it, he has had in in there 2x since 2008 for relatively minor things. What had raised my curiosity is this: It currently has 53,xxx miles on it, and when the car was in the shop in 2008, it had 52,5xx miles on it. Can this type of ultra low usage breed specific issues in this vehicle? I purchased a 1987 635CSi a few years back that had had similar usage, and shortly after buying it, I had leaks from numerous seals. Is that a distinct possibility on this model? I understand that, if I were to purchase it, I have a complete fluid exchange in my very near future, and probably a battery too, but welcome any other insight on this situation. Thanks.

Ed

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. The overall mileage is not that low and a few years of not being driven much shouldn't do any damage. Get a PPI, change the fluids, and start driving!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The biggest problem with really low mileage cars, especially ones that have been garage kept here on the East coast are mice and other rodents.

There have been at least 2 different M5 recently that have had strange electrical issues due to mice damage.

As I recall one car had airbag light problems due to mice nesting under the console where the air bag controller is located.

The other car had CEL for fuel issues, turned out there had been a mouse nest on top of the gas tank and some wires and/or hoses had been chewed.

Just something to think about and ask anyone doing a PPI to specifically look for nests or mice activity.

I even had a friend that found a dead snake wrapped up in his suspension at one point. Not sure if the snake was looking for mice or was just foolishly in the wrong place?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input! I agree that the mileage is not that low...just wanted to ask the question. If it gets to a PPI, then I will be sure to raise the infestation question.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I checked out the vehicle today. Turns out the mileage is about 56k, so it has moved about 1000mi/yr the last four years. Car is in pretty good shape, with a couple of minor, but common issues (pixels, rear view mirror). I also noticed seepage on one of the PS hoses. I will be taking it in for a PPI this coming week, so hopefully it will all check out!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
So, I checked out the vehicle today. Turns out the mileage is about 56k, so it has moved about 1000mi/yr the last four years. Car is in pretty good shape, with a couple of minor, but common issues (pixels, rear view mirror). I also noticed seepage on one of the PS hoses. I will be taking it in for a PPI this coming week, so hopefully it will all check out!

PS leaks are common...nothing to be alarmed about. My beast just rolled over 50k a couple weeks ago. I am a bit meticulous and preemptive when it comes to preventative maintenance, but here's a few notable items I've serviced within the last 5-10k miles.

-Exhaust CPS (Both Banks)
-Intake CPS (Both Banks)
-MAFS (Brand new OEM
-Guibo flex disk
-Fuel Filter
-Brakes (New pads on four corners + new rotors up front)
-Sway bar brackets (very common for these to break: highly recommend BP brackets. Very worth it, many others will agree: BeastPower Rear Sway Bar Brackets - for the BMW 5-series (e39) - includes 1 set (2 brackets) | BeastPower Motorsports

Again, not all necessary but might be a few things to take a look at. Hope that helps! Good luck with your purchase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts