:eek:oohhh:
ONLY 124MLS AND IT'A A 2000 MODEL YR
http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/find/4100_results.asp?bsubmit=true&lmodelflag=10118&lmanufacturer=10016&whatbutton.x=0&page=0&lCarID=1759969

·
Registered
430 Posts
And it's in Switzerland. Oh bugger. :(

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
wow that is low any how john we just toook in a 01 m5 38k on the clock we are asking 35k for it

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
ok lrt me know when u start looking agian and ill keep my eyes open

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Is that carbon black or an individual?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Are you guys considering the exchange rate? That car is over 60 grand USD

·
Registered
437 Posts
That low mileage works against an 8 year old car. The odometer didn't go up, but the seals, tires, and all the rest (technology) is still aging. If the owner bought it and kept the miles low to be an investment, he really F'ed up. Take the cash it cost to buy the car and invest it even in a bond and it would have appreciated to become worth a helluva lot more.

The only way you make out in a deal like this is to drive it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
That low mileage works against an 8 year old car. The odometer didn't go up, but the seals, tires, and all the rest (technology) is still aging. If the owner bought it and kept the miles low to be an investment, he really F'ed up. Take the cash it cost to buy the car and invest it even in a bond and it would have appreciated to become worth a helluva lot more.

The only way you make out in a deal like this is to drive it and enjoy it.
I'm not surprised that there are some ultra-low mileage examples out there. There might be speculation, it might be a car acquired for a large private collection, who knows. There are often ultra low mileage cars popping up on the Barrett Jackson auction. Iirc, there was a early 70's Vette (not the most desirable model) with less than 200 original miles at the most recent auction. Don't remember what it went for.

Some guys with too much money might be into acquiring and preserving certain cars that have appeal to them. The first MY e39 M5 may have some collector interest. Time will tell if these cars become more desirable as the decades pass. I hope this particular one stays 'preserved'. It is indeed special (although I'm not sure I'd have changed the wheels. I hope the stock wheels come with the car.)

Dave

·
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Actually the first MY99 m5s would be collector items since they cost something like 70k pounds before bmw or whomever fixed the price and brought it down...the BMW magazine w the orange and white AC schnitzer z4 with that tiny single stand roof spoiler mentioned this when they had an e39 buyers guide in a late 07 issue

·
Registered
437 Posts
Actually the first MY99 m5s would be collector items since they cost something like 70k pounds before bmw or whomever fixed the price and brought it down...the BMW magazine w the orange and white AC schnitzer z4 with that tiny single stand roof spoiler mentioned this when they had an e39 buyers guide in a late 07 issue
Wouldn't it only be a good collector if it fetched well over that 70K pounds equivalent now? I don't know what the value of the 70,000 BPS was in 1999, but it sounds like it would still have to go for a bunch more than that to be a collector-well, I should re-state that. Anything you keep is a collector, but is it a collector that you can make significant money on when you figure in what you could have done with that money in a safe investment and then the storage, taxes, whatever other costs you have.

I was into vettes. Had three at the same time. An 82 collector edition, a 1991 ZR-1 with 40k on the odometer, and a highly modded '99 coupe 6 speed in light platinum with 27K on it. Motor had everything new and dynoed 525 RWHP. I lost money on all three. I made 5K on the 82, but spent 5K and countless hours. The ZR-1 and the 99 were traded 4 months ago for my 2000 M5 and cash back to me. I'd say I lost 4K on the ZR-1 and 10K on the '99 at a minimum. Were any of these cars collectibles- you bet! There are loads of ZR-1's out there with less than 500 miles on them, but they cost 65K or more when new plus some commanded a premium to the dealer and I guarantee you NO Zr-1 will cover what it cost. None of them. I bet the M5 here is the same. Collectible yes-profitable NO.

·
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Wouldn't it only be a good collector if it fetched well over that 70K pounds equivalent now? I don't know what the value of the 70,000 BPS was in 1999, but it sounds like it would still have to go for a bunch more than that to be a collector-well, I should re-state that. Anything you keep is a collector, but is it a collector that you can make significant money on when you figure in what you could have done with that money in a safe investment and then the storage, taxes, whatever other costs you have.

I was into vettes. Had three at the same time. An 82 collector edition, a 1991 ZR-1 with 40k on the odometer, and a highly modded '99 coupe 6 speed in light platinum with 27K on it. Motor had everything new and dynoed 525 RWHP. I lost money on all three. I made 5K on the 82, but spent 5K and countless hours. The ZR-1 and the 99 were traded 4 months ago for my 2000 M5 and cash back to me. I'd say I lost 4K on the ZR-1 and 10K on the '99 at a minimum. Were any of these cars collectibles- you bet! There are loads of ZR-1's out there with less than 500 miles on them, but they cost 65K or more when new plus some commanded a premium to the dealer and I guarantee you NO Zr-1 will cover what it cost. None of them. I bet the M5 here is the same. Collectible yes-profitable NO.
70gbp is 140+us now it's not gonna fetch more than a 99 that had the price adjustment but still i think it's a collectors car

·
Registered
437 Posts
What I am trying to say is this. Was it smart for someone to buy this M5 for the going rate then...store it for 8 years hardly ever driving it or getting any enjoyment from it, to then sell it for 32,000 BPS (about 62,000 USD)? Sounds like a plan that never materialized into anything at all for the seller, doesn't it? I must assume the only reason a new 2000 M5 exists is for investment purposes and I would say in this regard it failed miserably. The car is likely not as good as a car driven a 1000 miles a year. See what I'm saying?

·
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

What I am trying to say is this. Was it smart for someone to buy this M5 for the going rate then...store it for 8 years hardly ever driving it or getting any enjoyment from it, to then sell it for 32,000 BPS (about 62,000 USD)? Sounds like a plan that never materialized into anything at all for the seller, doesn't it? I must assume the only reason a new 2000 M5 exists is for investment purposes and I would say in this regard it failed miserably. The car is likely not as good as a car driven a 1000 miles a year. See what I'm saying?

i agree with what you said before and a 99MY is my favorite so regardless the cost i'd consider it a collectible...if it was a failed attempt at an investment or the guy died his/her loss is someone elses gain...hell i wish it was my gain...i would think replacing the plasic hoses and seals {maybe not so much the gaskets since they're lined with some metal and even if it's aged it would just last less than a fresh one}, would do the job...also what's the story on the pumps, and other systems of the sort, would they be completely shot or could a little individual use{stretch their legs, go throught the break in as you would had you just taken delivery back in 2000} be all they need {the car never even made it past it's first break in point so could that help}

after all aren't all the oem parts for the e39 already made, just sitting in a warehouse in germany?

·
Registered
96 Posts
From the UK, I've recently (this week) seen an ad. for a Black 01 in NY/NJ with 11,000 miles........asking $49k (a little ambitious me thinks).

I agree with some others on the board that if it isn't driven, it may be full of niggles......

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Maybe the dude had his chauffer/car tender drive the car every so often for a few miles to get the fluids up to operating temp. If he is trying to preserve the car, he might presumably be smart enough to change fluids, etc rather than having the car sitting on block for eight years with a car cover.

The only guys that make real money in the collector car biz are the high rollers that can turn around the really desirable, really rare, fully restored and 100% correct pieces. Even then it is a gamble. I think most of the rest of us would be in it for love of cars more than big returns on investment. Cars are notoriously bad investments.

Did anyone catch the Barrett Jackson collector car auction a couple weeks ago (Speed Channel). Some bunko paid $420k for THE 'General Lee' '69 Charger. Yeah, right. There probably were 100's of 'General Lees' mocked up (and destroyed) for the TV show and movie shootings. No matching numbers, no documentation, an incorrect engine, but hey, John Schneider was there at the auction pumping up the value by climbing on the roof and leading the hall in a rendition of 'The Dukes of Hazard' song. Amazing what free beer and some star power will do. :hihi:

Imagine the guy trying to unload this car years from now without all the fanfare.... :bawling:

Dave

1 - 20 of 31 Posts