BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
I finally took the time to dyno my E39. My car is 03 with about 60k. Evolve alpha R with no MAF. CAI w/ KN filters. Kellingers cat back. New trans oil (BMW), new rear end oil (RP), new engine oil.
Dyno was done in Las Vegas on a mustang. It was probably 60 or 70f. No other issues with the car.
I expected better peak numbers. Any ideas why so low?
Thanks
Sky

Attachments

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Most likely your CPS sensors. Did you hook it up to a computer to see if any codes were showing? (They will not throw a SES light)

Could be VANOS solenoid or seals as well

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
Did anyone else notice this is a Mustang (heartbreaker) dyno? Typically runs 10-11% lower than dynojet. Multiply the hp by 1.1 and see how the numbers look.

And the run should be to redline (7000) as peak hp is made at about 6600. The hp/TQ crossover is typically 5252 rpm.

Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: Kelster

·
Registered
816 Posts
I would just like to add that I have put my cars on a dyno at least a dozen times. And have never ever had the numbers live up to what I expected. I will now only waste money on a dyno if it's purely for tuning purposes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car has an evolve flash. I think the redline is higher than 7k. They did hit the limiter, I was going to pull the abs fuses. The mustang couldnt sync to the obd2, something with thier software. It looks like the vanos is activivating as there is a major change in the mid range. Im just surprised the hp doesnt flatten out. It makes me thing something is choking the engine. I can only guess at the cats. I guess I wouldnt be worried about the peak numbers, but the hp curve doesnt look right.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Did you pull the fuses as asked above? It doesn't look like it because, assuming you have stock rear end gearing, the ~125 mph you got at the top is about 6300 rpm in 4th gear and only 5100 in 5th.

As an aside, why the hell would a dyno operator plot the HP/TQ against road speed? It doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Not the easiest task getting the ideal conditions to make good power on a dyno. Search for iat heat soak and you'll see how much heat soak impacts power output. I have personally seen a 30whp peak difference on a stock m5 on a dyno with lower iat's.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Besides the fuses....

have you refreshed your vanos? running the vanos function test, it is perfect? No marginal actuations, etc?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Guys, I thought the Evolve tune eliminated the need for pulling fuses on the dyno. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The evolve alpha r must override the abs fault. The car did hit over 7k. They did do a sheet with rpm, but it's extrapolated from wheel speed, software couldn't link with obd2. I'm offshore on a rig and my data is super slow, but I'll try to get the rpm sheet up. I have not checked the vanos. The car occasionally throws post cat o2 codes. I appreciate the input from you guys.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Guys, I thought the Evolve tune eliminated the need for pulling fuses on the dyno. Am I wrong?
I have never heard of that (and I always pull fuses 17 and 30 before dynoing).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts