BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys I really need your help with this one.. about 4-5 months ago i replaced my OEM Angel eye bulbs with a aftermarket LED one from ebay all was working fine up until the rain really started kicking in Portland and started getting allot of moisture in my headlights.

Yesterday my passenger side HID flashed and then turned off with the error msg LOW Beam Malfunction.... I originally thought it was just the HID bulb but i swapped it out with another bulb which i knew was working and still no go... so then i thought it must be the igniter so i tried using the one from the driver side which was working and that still would not bring it on..

So I basically ruled out the bulb and the igniter... anything else I can test?

Car is an 07 M6 with D2S bulbs if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your help!

-Lucian

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Blown fuse due to H2O seepage would seem a logical next look. Not sure if each side has a separate fuse. Consult the fuse guide located in the trunk. Moisture could also temporarily cause a short that may dry in time with or without a blown fuse, meaning your ignitor and bulb are actually OK. Trying the suspected bad bulb and ignitor on the other side, which will rule those components out.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Lucian, it's also possible that the nature of a short might tell the LMA module (Light Module), to cease voltage to that side of the low beams until the fault clears. That would mean once dry, you would need to clear the fault with the coding program/cable or a Peake, or other reader. If the fuse is good and you're sure the bulb and ignitor are good, I would suspect this is the issue.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
I tried the igniter put the igniter from the side thats not working to the driver side and it powers it up just fine..
the link you post above is the ballast. if that went bad, hid light bulb will not power up. i am not sure what you mean what is the igniter
i use to sell HID kit but not anymore. if light does not go on then, possible bulb, ballast, or fuse. if you already try the bulb on other side no problem, then it might be either ballast or fuse.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the link you post above is the ballast. if that went bad, hid light bulb will not power up. i am not sure what you mean what is the igniter
i use to sell HID kit but not anymore. if light does not go on then, possible bulb, ballast, or fuse. if you already try the bulb on other side no problem, then it might be either ballast or fuse.
here's a picture of the ignitor i am talking about... http://myweb.wit.edu/nguyent13/images/ignitor01.JPG

is this the same thing as the ballast or is that something else? If so ive rulled out the ignitor and verified on the driver side that it works fine..

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
380 Posts
here's a picture of the ignitor i am talking about... http://myweb.wit.edu/nguyent13/images/ignitor01.JPG

is this the same thing as the ballast or is that something else? If so ive rulled out the ignitor and verified on the driver side that it works fine..

Thanks for your help!
that is the base of D1 bulb. it is like a adapter from wire to bulb.
but for most of D1S bulb it is 1 piece and the whole thing is expensive, we just sell a D1 base and put the D2 bulb on top. in case one of them bad, we just need to change 1 thing. D1S bulb is like $75, but base is around $20 and bulb is dirt cheap $10.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that is the base of D1 bulb. it is like a adapter from wire to bulb.
but for most of D1S bulb it is 1 piece and the whole thing is expensive, we just sell a D1 base and put the D2 bulb on top. in case one of them bad, we just need to change 1 thing. D1S bulb is like $75, but base is around $20 and bulb is dirt cheap $10.

so this is just the ignitor not the ballast? do you know where the ballast is located on this car?

thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lucian

i have an extra set of PIAA's LED angel eye bulbs that is brand new never installed that is just a plugs in with no fault codes. if you would like to buy them i live in portland. i also i have 07 m6.

ALEX

·
Registered
559 Posts
This is a copy of a reply i did in another thread.

Just be careful what you install. I tried several AE replacements.

One set was open in the back and allowed moisture, actually water, in the housing. Cost me a light module and active module as well as a set of headlights. If they are not waterproof from the back, don't even think of putting them in your car. This has happened to me and a number of 6 owners.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts