BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lease on my '04 M3 is up in a few months... now i need to decide what my next car is going to be.

These last few months i was thinking there's really only one logical step... the E60 M5. I mean, i came from a 328ci, to the M3, now to the M5...

I test drove the M5 many months ago and wow, talking about the complete package... As you guys know the car has it all, awesome ! ...im hooked !

Then last Friday night i found myself at the Porsche dealer... test drove an '08 997cs and absolutely loved it, car had full leather & the Porsche Sports Exhaust, man what a car...

Yes, the M5 and the 997 are two very different cars, but sheeeeit, they both give me goose bumps... this is my situation, what car would you choose based on the following:

* My wife drives an SUV, so i have the Home dept. runs covered, so i don't think my next car having only two seats will change my life for the worse...

* The car will be a daily driver, only 14 miles round trip to work so i don't have a long commute

* I do a handful of track days a year

* I will be the only one in the car 90% of the time

* I drive up to Santa Barbara often (from LA) so MPG is kind'a important

I'd love to hear from the M5's driver point of view, thanks in advance !

-LinoD.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If MPG is important then go for the C4S. That 14 mile round trip will turn out to be a 40 mile trip on the dash.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Hmmm.........

The lease on my '04 M3 is up in a few months... now i need to decide what my next car is going to be.

These last few months i was thinking there's really only one logical step... the E60 M5. I mean, i came from a 328ci, to the M3, now to the M5...

I test drove the M5 many months ago and wow, talking about the complete package... As you guys know the car has it all, awesome ! ...im hooked !

Then last Friday night i found myself at the Porsche dealer... test drove an '08 997cs and absolutely loved it, car had full leather & the Porsche Sports Exhaust, man what a car...

Yes, the M5 and the 997 are two very different cars, but sheeeeit, they both give me goose bumps... this is my situation, what car would you choose based on the following:

* My wife drives an SUV, so i have the Home dept. runs covered, so i don't think my next car having only two seats will change my life for the worse...

* The car will be a daily driver, only 14 miles round trip to work so i don't have a long commute

* I do a handful of track days a year

* I will be the only one in the car 90% of the time

* I drive up to Santa Barbara often (from LA) so MPG is kind'a important

I'd love to hear from the M5's driver point of view, thanks in advance !

-LinoD.
Ah yes, the age old question, high performance sedan/coupe; or sports car?? I own both (albeit different models than you're comparing; but similar enough to make a couple of points). 1) For the occasional track day, Porsche is far more entertaining and a "natural" athlete (showroom to track is no problem). 2) Gas mileage - your cruise mileage in Porsche will be mid to high 20's (even my highly mod'd TT gets that). Both mileage and range on the new "M" models is disappointing, according to most owners who post on here.

Based on your comments, 'seems Porsche would meet/exceed your needs.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
LinoD....nice to see ya. How are things over at Disney?

I would go for 997. There are many reasons, but you have hit on a few. Go for it!

·
Registered
994 Posts
If MPG is important then go for the C4S. That 14 mile round trip will turn out to be a 40 mile trip on the dash.
I'd go for the regular Carrera S as AWD is not of much benefit in SoCal and the RWD setup will yield better MPG. I had an 02 996TT and that got me 25mpg on a run to say Vegas. Haven't seen better than 15.1mpg on the Beast and that was driving like a fairy in 7th. The range is paltry with the small 70liter tank, but that's my only criticism of the car and I blame BMW not Motorsport for that.

The Carrera S is nowhere near as fast but man do they handle and stop. The other members have hit upon how easily accessible the track becomes in one, especially the stick shift.

Go for the P-car, you won't regret it as wifey has the people hauling covered.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Haven't seen better than 15.1mpg on the Beast and that was driving like a fairy in 7th.
Lets see how ya do going to Vegas this weekend....I will bring ya some pixey dust

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the comments guys...

I've got to say I have had a great run with BMW these last 8 years, my M3 was bullet proof and i hope to be in a BMW soon enough... but for now it does look like i will be joining the Porsche family.

Cosmos, what's up ! Disney Animation is going well, working on a film called BOLT due out this holiday season, think you guys are going to love it, im really proud of it !

997cs, here i come !

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'd go for the regular Carrera S as AWD is not of much benefit in SoCal and the RWD setup will yield better MPG. I had an 02 996TT and that got me 25mpg on a run to say Vegas. Haven't seen better than 15.1mpg on the Beast and that was driving like a fairy in 7th. The range is paltry with the small 70liter tank, but that's my only criticism of the car and I blame BMW not Motorsport for that.

The Carrera S is nowhere near as fast but man do they handle and stop. The other members have hit upon how easily accessible the track becomes in one, especially the stick shift.

Go for the P-car, you won't regret it as wifey has the people hauling covered.
yea I was going to say the regular CS, but then he specifically said C4S. Even the C4S would get better mileage than the M5.:cheers:

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
As it has been said, they two different types of sportscars.
I have an M5 and both 997 GT3 and RS. I love them but with different reasons. Sometimes I never want to get out of the M5. The comfort and power are fantastic. The GT3 is offers unbelieveable handling, power and unmatched track day enjoyment.
My friend we can tell you detail comparisons until tomorrow but only you really can tell what will bring a smile on your face.

It's a fun position to be in, so enjoy the process and good luck to you.

BTW do you want to buy a GT3RS? Orange with black graphics/wheels?

M5Ranger

·
Registered
282 Posts

You did not like it?

·
Registered
994 Posts
As it has been said, they two different types of sportscars.
I have an M5 and both 997 GT3 and RS. I love them but with different reasons. Sometimes I never want to get out of the M5. The comfort and power are fantastic. The GT3 is offers unbelieveable handling, power and unmatched track day enjoyment.
My friend we can tell you detail comparisons until tomorrow but only you really can tell what will bring a smile on your face.

It's a fun position to be in, so enjoy the process and good luck to you.

M5Ranger
How come you're selling it and not the regular GT3? What's the mileage and does it have PCCBs, air con? Also, could you post pics in this thread (as it is relevant since we're on about P-cars).

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I had a 997 (hense my user name) and its like comparing apple and oranges... If you need the room then get the M5... if you dont get the 997... If you want the power get the M5 or a 997 TURBO :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
VW's get great gas mileage.:biggrinbounce:

SW
Toyota Prius gets even better mileage......

And Prius starts with "P" and so does Porsche....:biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well if u want speed go for the 997 turbo if u want luxury and performance go for the m5...

Reactions: BD 997

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Lets see how ya do going to Vegas this weekend....I will bring ya some pixey dust
Ohhh. . . That kind of fairy!ouich

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just to ratchet the price up a bit. I test drove, and almost pulled the trigger on a 997 Cabriolet S. My thinking is if I am going to lose the rear seats, then at least, I want a convertible. After driving it, comparing the price, I decided I need the rear seats. I will own a Porsche at some point. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts