BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
For the first time, I maxxed out my DSP sound system, which actually has M B Quart speakers and Alpine powered (2) 10" JL subwoofers. The system was loud but I was truly surprised at the limit of the DSP system. I wanted it to be louder but it was maxxed out. There was ZERO distortion and the music was totally clear. I just wished it could be louder than what it was. Is there a way to INCREASE THE LOUDNESS ??? If there is, Im unaware of the method. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to increase the overall volume/loudness.
Thank you very much.
Robert

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Re: DSP Stereo experts, is there a "loudness" adjustment for our stereo system?

FAST 5 said:
Hi Guys,
For the first time, I maxxed out my DSP sound system, which actually has M B Quart speakers and Alpine powered (2) 10" subwoofers. The system was loud but I was truly surprised at the limit of the DSP system. I wanted it to be louder but it was maxxed out. There was ZERO distortion and the music was totally clear. I just wished it could be louder than what it was. Is there a way to INCREASE THE LOUDNESS ??? If there is, Im unaware of the method. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to increase the overall volume/loudness.
Thank you very much.
Robert
Maybe another AMP is in order. How loud do you need it? It takes something like 10X the power to get 2X the loudness if I remember correctly :eek: I could be off, but for some reason that ratio came to mind. Maybe there is a way to increase the input signal from the head unit to your amp without adding more distortion or noise. I am sure there are some car stereo experts that will chime in. Good luck.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
977 Posts

Chuckc said:
Maybe another AMP is in order. How loud do you need it? It takes something like 10X the power to get 2X the loudness if I remember correctly :eek: I could be off, but for some reason that ratio came to mind. Maybe there is a way to increase the input signal from the head unit to your amp without adding more distortion or noise. I am sure there are some car stereo experts that will chime in. Good luck.
:thumbsup:
General rule of thumb is 2x the wattage for every 3dB you want to add.

The DSP is part of the amp right? FAST 5 is running MB Quart components and 2 Alpine 10" sybs off the DSP amp? If so, that's the issue, need to get rid of the DSP amp and put in an aftermarket.

Audio Control (and others I'm sure) have a line output voltage booster which would help get more output out of your system, but if you just simply replace the amp, you'd be set.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

HDClown said:
Audio Control (and others I'm sure) have a line output voltage booster which would help get more output out of your system, but if you just simply replace the amp, you'd be set.
Not trying to start an argument, just posting because I thought I had read on the board (or another) that replacement of DPS is a little more complicated than just one amp to replace another if you want full function of the system afterwards?
DPS came 'stock' with the M, but I would not have ordered it as an option in that there are better arrangements for equal or less money imo.
Ken

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys.........

Hi Guys,
First off, Im not getting rid of the DSP stereo amp becuase of the fact, its needed to make other aspects of the NAV screen work. I m stuck with it. So I tried to work with the stock amp. The stock DSP amp is powering all of the M B Quart speakers. The 2 JL Audio sub woofers are powered by its own amp, which is an Alpine amp. The Nokia woofers were removed and the 2 (10") sub woofers were put in place of the Nokia woofer box.

So does anyone know if there is a "secret" audio gain or loudness increase feature, that I can adjust to maximize the stereo's sound ???
Thanks for your help.
Robert

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Re: Guys.........

FAST 5 said:
So does anyone know if there is a "secret" audio gain or loudness increase feature, that I can adjust to maximize the stereo's sound ???
Thanks for your help.
Robert
If we tell you then it wouldn't be a "secret" anymore... hiha hiha hiha

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

FAST 5 said:
I wanted it to be louder but it was maxxed out. There was ZERO distortion and the music was totally clear. I just wished it could be louder than what it was.
Isn't the impedance of the stock speakers 8 ohms? Your MBQ's are proably 4 so the amp should be putting out a bit more power....unless....there is a circuit in the amp that senses this impedance (among other things like distortion) and limits the amp to a specified db level.
Even with the stock system, you can turn it as loud as possible without distortion. I'd also bet the amp has a circuit that prevents clipping hence the reason you can turn it as loud as it goes without distorion. It prevents the amp from overload and the speakers from damage. .
Just a though.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Boost,
You are correct about the stock speakers being 8 ohms and my replacement M B Quart speakers are 4 ohms. Th stereo shop also said the same thing, as they were under the assumtion that the stock DSP amp should make the
M B quart speakers louder, being that they are 4 ohms.
So I take it, there is no loudness or gain adjustment, to maximize the volume ??? Other than the volume button, is there another adjustment that can be made to increase sound, excluding the tone setting and the EQ setting options.
Thank you.
Robert

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

Not that I'm aware....but that doesn't mean there isn't. I'll check around.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

boostmiser said:
Not that I'm aware....but that doesn't mean there isn't. I'll check around.
Thank you brother. I appreciate you looking into this for me. it would be fantastic if you found a solution to my situation. I eagerly await for your reply.
:M5thumbs:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts

You could try boosting every frequency in the EQ- but this will probably change the sound unfavorably. In general I think you have hit the limit on the stock equipment. My experience with keeping the stock head unit was that it was a sonic liability and I eventually went to an alpine head unit. Much better sound.

·
Registered
931 Posts

Robert,
Interesting post. Since I have a nearly identical setup, I just had to test this limit. Ok I just did the 'max the dial out'. IMHO that is some serious sound level, not distorted at all. I could feel the pressure wave pounding my chest, with all of the windows down!!!! I will have to try this again out on the road at speed, perhaps with the wind, the sound level won't be so high.

Good luck to you, I said good lu.... I can't hear anything....
:1: :1: :1: :1: :1:

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Bock,
yea don't get me wrong my stereo was not low sounding with respect to volume, BUT............... like I said, I was expecting MUCH.............................................
MUCH more than what I have, and I can tell that the speakers can easily handle more power, even though the volume is maxxed out. For me the maxxed out volume should be 70% instead of being at 100%. Know what I mean?!?!?
Anyone????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
931 Posts

At work, we have a decible meter. I used it last year to measure the exhaust sound with the Tubi Style pipes..... 95 db just reving in the parking lot.

I will borrow it again and thst the car's audio, with the windows up and down. This should be cool, may need ear plugs with the windows up :haha2::M5rev:

I should be able to do this on Monday......

·
Registered
837 Posts

Stupid question,,,, however I am wondering after reading several posts about the MB quart speakers, Can I simply have these speakers installed in my stock system and see a noticable improvement? I like the current system, but if you guys are replacing the speakers and having a noticable improvement I would also like to upgrade, I am not a audiophile so I do not know much about this, but if you guys could school me in price and speaker name and model number that I would want, I would appreciate it, Josh

P.S. Soory for the poor grammer, the friday beers are taking their toll

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

BMWUSA,
based on what you've written you should absolutely do the M B Quart speaker replacement upgrade. The improvement is worth it. Plus you maintain your NAV head unit, keeping all of the NAV features/functions working. There are two different series for the M B Quart speaker line. Referenze and Q-Series. The Q-Series (last I checked) is the highest grade. The only thing I'll add is that the stock BMW DSP amp (in my opinion) is underpowered, but its something you will have to live with, especially if you wish to keep your NAV stereo head unit. I just wish the stock amp could crank out a bit more juice to push the M B Quart drivers.

·
Registered
931 Posts

Josh,
As FAST5 wrote, upgrading to the MB Quart speakers is a good thing. I am not a audiophile either, but the MB Q's seem crisper, brighter, and while listening to farmiliar songs, I would hear instuments that I never noticed before! I used set my speakers up like a coaxial (tweeter in the center) and mounted them in the OEM speaker enclosures. Be sure to keep the wiring straight, which wires go to which cone and polarity!!!!

Best of Luck to you and anyone else who upgrades :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,289 Posts

Josh,

you boob, you should just ask me about it. I was going to do the MB upgrade on the 5 just like Robert did.

The Qseries are about 500-600 for each set.

Although JL, Infinity and a few others would also be quality upgrades for much less

·
Registered
837 Posts

Robert, Bock , thanks for the input, I think this sounds like a good idea, and will investigate further. Did you guys replace all your speakers except for your subwoofers or only select speakers in key locations? Thanks Josh

Rob, leave me alone I know what your doing right now with those working women of the night:nono:

·
Registered
931 Posts

bmwusa said:
Did you guys replace all your speakers except for your subwoofers or only select speakers in key locations?
Here is what I did... M-subs were replaced with 10" JL Audio 10W3v2-D4 Subs and added Alpine MRV T320 amp. I used 1/2" thick high density board as an adapter. Speakers mounted to the board, the board mounted to the car metal deck. By the way, I covered the top of the adapter board with Dynamat Extreem to isolate any resonence between adapter and the car structure. While I had the rear deck out, I ran the Sirius Radio antenna.... I mounted mine under the deck opposite the NAV antenna. Works well.

The rear deck left and right coaxial are replaced with MB Quart PCE-213, as are the front door speakers. I had the front door panels off, but I did not try and get into the window sill speakers (tweeters?). I left them alone. I did all of the work myself, took my time, did a nice install.

Search the internet for good deals....

Well worth the effort :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts