BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just install my Dinan stage 3 suspension & had the rear shelf all apart with the c-pillar trims to access the tops of the rear shocks, after install everything back together I test my radio function & even made a 20 min trim listening to my an FM station. After getting back into the car 2 hours later, I had no FM reception!! AM & my i-pod set all worn fine, it's just my FM!!!

Please advise on what can be wrong!!

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Could be a number of things, but I'd start with making sure all the wires are plugged in correctly and not cut (a lot of people trap wires when replacing rear suspension).

After that I'd check the region of your radio to ensure it didn't reset itself somehow. It is in the double-secret probation menu; turn on the radio, then press and hold Select for about 10 seconds.

Anything other than that is going to require equipment to diagnose...

d-

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a similar problem, but it's even more random and intermittent. About 40% of the time I turn on the FM radio (or start the car when the FM radio is on) I get terrible reception. Switch to AM or CD and sound is crystal clear, switch back to FM and still terrible. Then if I turn off the car and restart it, the FM is fine. I'd say this restart solution works about 4 out of 5 times I need to use it.

I'm sure it's just a loose antenna connection but I haven't gotten around to pulling components. Any one have the same issue? Regardless, can someone give me the exact location of the FM-specific diversity connection? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I have a similar problem, but it's even more random and intermittent. About 40% of the time I turn on the FM radio (or start the car when the FM radio is on) I get terrible reception. Switch to AM or CD and sound is crystal clear, switch back to FM and still terrible. Then if I turn off the car and restart it, the FM is fine. I'd say this restart solution works about 4 out of 5 times I need to use it.

I'm sure it's just a loose antenna connection but I haven't gotten around to pulling components. Any one have the same issue? Regardless, can someone give me the exact location of the FM-specific diversity connection? Thanks in advance.
Your rear window contains the antenna. The radio in your left rear trunk is connected via the black round cable.

There may also be an antenna amplifier / combiner, but you'll need to trace the line to find the specific location.

d-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts