BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually keep the key in the center console ash tray, but somehow I lost it. I think it must've been one of my services a long time ago. Has this happened to anyone and how did you fix it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi,

I had it ones and I fixed it with a chisel and a hammer.
Sounds so un-M but it works.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
This happened to my Dad about 10 years ago
He went to the local dealer (Baron's of Hindhead) and they got a junior mechanic to sit there with the entire BMW locking wheel nut range until he found one that fitted! It took the poor guy over an hour ouich.

After all that though, they only charged Dad the price of ordering a new one.

Cheers,
Barney.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
The reality is that there aren't that many key combos so most dealers will have enough to find the right one that fits. The BMW sets come with 2 keys. What happened to the other one?

·
Registered
947 Posts
when i bought my car i realised the wheel nut key was lost.

went to my BMW dealer and with the chassis number they were able to order me one from BMW.

Took a few days but the key came and was spot on

Will only work if the locks are the originals which if an unmodded car shouldnt be an issue

good luck
foxy

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I don't know if this will work on the BMW locks, but I've read that on some wheel locks, if you can find a tight-fitting, sacrificial socket, you can hammer it onto the wheel nut or bolt. The interference-fit might be tight enough to allow loosening. It that works, you'll probably want to buy a new lock (and a new socket).

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
After market locks come with a serial number on a card to order replacements. Do the BWM locks come with that? That obviously would be kept at home. None the less, a dealer should should be able to look it up by the VIN or smething and get a replacement.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
went to my BMW dealer and with the chassis number they were able to order me one from BMW
I don't see how they were able to do that. The cars are not equipped with wheel locks from the factory. They are added afterwards, and the lock/key combo you get is entirely random based on what's in the parts inventory at the time you get the locks. So there's no matching of the keys to the chassis or VIN number. Unless the dealer inputs a key code or something into the maintenance database at the time of installation, I don't see how providing a chassis or VIN number can help except to narrow the range of locks that might fit (e.g. locks for an e39). But obviously it worked for you so maybe there's something I'm missing here. hmmm

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Need4Spd said:
The reality is that there aren't that many key combos so most dealers will have enough to find the right one that fits. The BMW sets come with 2 keys. What happened to the other one?
I completely forgot about that. I should look around my garage and see if I can remember where I put it. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
ELEVENS said:
I don't know if this will work on the BMW locks, but I've read that on some wheel locks, if you can find a tight-fitting, sacrificial socket, you can hammer it onto the wheel nut or bolt. The interference-fit might be tight enough to allow loosening. It that works, you'll probably want to buy a new lock (and a new socket).

This is why most wheel locks (except mcgard spinning) are jokes to a dedicated 'custom wheel harvester'....

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
And I finally got my 2 new 'front stock' sized rims..and am ready to take my E-bay purchased new-to-me used Winter tires..to my 'quality' mechanic..and no wheel lock tool in sight!

I have no way to take the tires/wheels off... and I'm at least 170km from the nearest BMW location. That's just freaking great. They never gave me the thing when I bought the car. From a BMW dealership... I might add. And the dealership I bought it from..is 400km away.

Nice.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Are wheel locks standard? I have cleaned my wheels and don't recall seeing a wheel lock. What do they look like? Photo of one of my wheels is attached (just happened to have one!)

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Stickman said:
Are wheel locks standard? I have cleaned my wheels and don't recall seeing a wheel lock. What do they look like? Photo of one of my wheels is attached (just happened to have one!)

Thanks for your help.
Not standard from what I remember. You certainly don't have one in that photo.

·
Registered
572 Posts
KBK said:
And I finally got my 2 new 'front stock' sized rims..and am ready to take my E-bay purchased new-to-me used Winter tires..to my 'quality' mechanic..and no wheel lock tool in sight!

I have no way to take the tires/wheels off... and I'm at least 170km from the nearest BMW location. That's just freaking great. They never gave me the thing when I bought the car. From a BMW dealership... I might add. And the dealership I bought it from..is 400km away.

Nice.
Nuts - sorry, poor joke.

You'd have to get them to send it to you. I bet they have no idea which one it is though. Most dealers keep the key away from the vehicle for security reasons. I had to remind mine just before I drove the 250km home.ouich

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
The sad part is, I have to drive 25 km to my mechanic and the weather is perfect for that right now. By the time such a wheel lock device gets here, my time will have passed and the weather will be nasty again. Like, undriveable, with the dunlop 9000's.

·
Registered
12,935 Posts
KBK said:
The sad part is, I have to drive 25 km to my mechanic and the weather is perfect for that right now. By the time such a wheel lock device gets here, my time will have passed and the weather will be nasty again. Like, undriveable, with the dunlop 9000's.
One mechanic trick is to get a socket that barely fits over the lock, hammer it on, and then remove (now non reusable) lock and socket. I think 6 pt. works best for grip. Try SAE for metric sizes and vice versa.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
talked to my shop of choice..they have a BMW master key. All is sort of well. I still need one myself. I'm not going to be stranded on the highway with no way to help myself.

I mean, I just rebuilt the DSP amplifier last night. I am not without capacities or resourses. And I don't blindly pay for anything. Ever. Unless it's sex, she's great, and it's cheap. Ie, a coffee. Like that's going to happen tomorrow. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts