BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 M5 at 6,600 gave me the warning that the oil is at minimum level. I was like WTF, the next service is 12,000 miles so why the oil disappears? I added 1 Quartz and then I brought it to the local dealer and before I can even drop it off, one of the guys says it is "NORMAL" for high performance car like this.

I told him I have a Lamborghini and a 1,020 Horspower Viper that NEVER LOSE oil. I accepted it and gave him the benefit of the doubt. BUT, 1,000 miles after and I got the warning again! WTF? Is this normal for M5? I checked my garage and no oil drips

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 2013 M5 at 6,600 gave me the warning that the oil is at minimum level. I was like WTF, the next service is 12,000 miles so why the oil disappears? I added 1 Quartz and then I brought it to the local dealer and before I can even drop it off, one of the guys says it is "NORMAL" for high performance car like this.

I told him I have a Lamborghini and a 1,020 Horspower Viper that NEVER LOSE oil. I accepted it and gave him the benefit of the doubt. BUT, 1,000 miles after and I got the warning again! WTF? Is this normal for M5? I checked my garage and no oil drips
If you push the car hard it's normal to add 1 liter of oil every few thousand kilometer.
It happen to my F10 and E60 M5. BMW's and Audi's do that and it's normal.
But if you don't push it at all and it needs oil, than take it in and insist that they check it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
1000 miles is excessive for sure, i think BMW have a lower limit on oil usage now, check it out, I think 1000 miles is BELOW what they allow, your engine needs looking at.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Like I said, it's normal during the break in period, and somewhat normal to an extent, after that. Bmw will not do anything for your car right now aside from top off the oil. Besides, do you want them cracking open a brand new motor?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Like I said, it's normal during the break in period, and somewhat normal to an extent, after that. Bmw will not do anything for your car right now aside from top off the oil. Besides, do you want them cracking open a brand new motor?
M Cars have been in for testing here that are using 1000 miles per litre, and been repaired/replaced.
Like I said there is a limit BMW have placed on these cars that use excessive Oil , the dealership needs to contact BMW to find out how to test and what can be done, NONE of my M cars ever burned oil like this, all in fact use almost none.:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I typically add about two quarts between scheduled oil changes. The dealer gives me free oil every time I go in for service.

·
Registered
362 Posts
M Cars have been in for testing here that are using 1000 miles per litre, and been repaired/replaced.
Like I said there is a limit BMW have placed on these cars that use excessive Oil , the dealership needs to contact BMW to find out how to test and what can be done, NONE of my M cars ever burned oil like this, all in fact use almost none.:)
I work at a dealer. I'm just telling you from experience that on a motor with less than 10k miles they aren't going to do anything for a little oil consumption. The piston rings are probably barely even seated. It's the same with every N63 or S63 engine. The turbos blow oil, and the crank case vent system isn't the best design on these motors.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I work at a dealer. I'm just telling you from experience that on a motor with less than 10k miles they aren't going to do anything for a little oil consumption. The piston rings are probably barely even seated. It's the same with every N63 or S63 engine. The turbos blow oil, and the crank case vent system isn't the best design on these motors.
It would seem the dealers in the states would rather give out Oil than put the route cause right, as I said cars now are being tested hear that use a lot of oil ( i can get the procedure if required), this "M engines use oil bull seems to be accepted by many, but the truth is modern none race engines at least should not eat Oil at that rate.
As for "less than 10K mile and running -in periods" BMW should and do do something to negate this here.
I have run all my M cars once hot , hard for the first 50 miles or so, never topped the oil up , did 12K miles in the LCI M5 No oil used at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Race engines outside of Baja don't last 1000 miles! No serious race team runs oil more then 1 race. Dragsters (highest output) make it barley 3/4 of a mile between major overhaul.

My cars oil consumption went from 1 litre/4000km to 1 litre/10000km between 8-9k.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Race engines outside of Baja don't last 1000 miles! No serious race team runs oil more then 1 race. Dragsters (highest output) make it barley 3/4 of a mile between major overhaul.

My cars oil consumption went from 1 litre/4000km to 1 litre/10000km between 8-9k.
Good news but thats not heavy Oil consumption is it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, really? I have a Lambo and a 1,000HP Viper which NEVER lose oil. They are more hig performance than the M5 so why this is "normal"?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Wow, really? I have a Lambo and a 1,000HP Viper which NEVER lose oil. They are more hig performance than the M5 so why this is "normal"?
MHO is it's the way the car is run-in, if it's babied it will burn more Oil, if when first hot it's worked for say 40/50 miles it will not burn much if any Oil.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just today had dealer add a quart, 1320 miles since last quart was added. Seems the F-10, at least the 2013 one that I have, uses more oil than the 2008 E-60 that I had. Maybe the turbo's? In the "for what it is worth" category, service advisor told me that BMW bulletin allows for as little as 750 miles per quart for M cars....:Thumbdown:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Just today had dealer add a quart, 1320 miles since last quart was added. Seems the F-10, at least the 2013 one that I have, uses more oil than the 2008 E-60 that I had. Maybe the turbo's? In the "for what it is worth" category, service advisor told me that BMW bulletin allows for as little as 750 miles per quart for M cars....:Thumbdown:
Here in the UK, that would NOT be allowed by BMW, we have had cars in for that consumption and up to 1000 mils/ltr, BMW will cure cars drinking that amount of Oil here.
Personally if mine was that bad I would out it.:sad2:
PS) not put a drop in 3000 miles on the new M6GC CP I have, and added NONE to the LCI M5 i put 12000 miles on, both run hard once hot for the first 40/50 miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have 60kkm on my 2013 and it burns a liter every ca. 6000km
Had an issue recently with "oil consumption" but that had to do withe the cold temps and short rides.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What's a little bit of oil amongst friends :-} If you think the F10 M5 drinks a lot of oil you should have owned the E60 M5. Now that 10 cylinder baby drank oil like water and was highly regarded as one of the best production engines ever produced.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts