BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I have lurked on here for about 5 months and really enjoyed the site. I think most forums for individual model autos harbor people who are very passionate about the choice of their vehicle and the ways by which they came to the decision. I have a Toyota 4Runner, and it is truly an awesome site that I have used to my advantage for the vehicle and given back through experimenting of my own.
The 4Runner is my daily driver, ; I live in NW Indiana. South bend, for all you Notre Dame fans. I have a 2006 Porsche C2S Cab. I bought it in Florida, where my dad lives, and love the car, as I have always wanted one. The problem I have is that I really do need a more functional car, even though it will still be my toy. I am keeping the 4Runner no matter what, as it is great in the snow, and I do Triathlons, hockey, and I camp with my son, so it is great for all the gear and rough-housing.
I have pretty much set my sights on the M5. I think it goves me the power that I like, and some room as well - something the C2S does not have. While I don't expect the M5 to be as NIMBLE as the C2S, I think it will provide a better driving experience overall for me, as I will drive this more than the Porsche. I am planning on getting rid of teh Porsche and buying an M5, so I would have the T4R and the M5.
OK... I am rambling. I really would like the SMG. My C2S has 6 speed MT, but the SMG intrigues me. I have driven an M3 with SMG, and thought it was nice but would take getting used to. I saw that there have been and are issues with the M5, but really, all German cars have their issues, but as the next model year comes out, I find that the issues are cleared up, and become less and less.
I have done searches and looked all over, but I would like some fresh insight on the following, please.

A) Any doubters or regrets out there on their M5?

B) Have the SMG issues been mostly taken care of?

C) Have the software issues been remedied for the most part?

D) If I get one in the next 4-8 weeks, a 2008 model, are there any glitches or inherent faults still at large on this model.

I believe that the M5 is the car for me. I love MB, but I don't really want an E63, or CLS55. This fits more what I want. I appreciate any replies you all give, and I look forward to hearing from you all!!!!

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Hello all. I have lurked on here for about 5 months and really enjoyed the site. I think most forums for individual model autos harbor people who are very passionate about the choice of their vehicle and the ways by which they came to the decision. I have a Toyota 4Runner, and it is truly an awesome site that I have used to my advantage for the vehicle and given back through experimenting of my own.
The 4Runner is my daily driver, ; I live in NW Indiana. South bend, for all you Notre Dame fans. I have a 2006 Porsche C2S Cab. I bought it in Florida, where my dad lives, and love the car, as I have always wanted one. The problem I have is that I really do need a more functional car, even though it will still be my toy. I am keeping the 4Runner no matter what, as it is great in the snow, and I do Triathlons, hockey, and I camp with my son, so it is great for all the gear and rough-housing.
I have pretty much set my sights on the M5. I think it goves me the power that I like, and some room as well - something the C2S does not have. While I don't expect the M5 to be as NIMBLE as the C2S, I think it will provide a better driving experience overall for me, as I will drive this more than the Porsche. I am planning on getting rid of teh Porsche and buying an M5, so I would have the T4R and the M5.
OK... I am rambling. I really would like the SMG. My C2S has 6 speed MT, but the SMG intrigues me. I have driven an M3 with SMG, and thought it was nice but would take getting used to. I saw that there have been and are issues with the M5, but really, all German cars have their issues, but as the next model year comes out, I find that the issues are cleared up, and become less and less.
I have done searches and looked all over, but I would like some fresh insight on the following, please.

A) Any doubters or regrets out there on their M5?

B) Have the SMG issues been mostly taken care of?

C) Have the software issues been remedied for the most part?

D) If I get one in the next 4-8 weeks, a 2008 model, are there any glitches or inherent faults still at large on this model.

I believe that the M5 is the car for me. I love MB, but I don't really want an E63, or CLS55. This fits more what I want. I appreciate any replies you all give, and I look forward to hearing from you all!!!!
A) No
B) Yes
C) Yes
D) No

·
Registered
831 Posts
Welcome...
So far, I have had no issues mechanically with the car (knock on wood); would get it again in a heartbeat.
I like the SMG, but I also had it in my previous car, so I had three years of practice before getting the M5.
You won't regret the decision.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you have one car...there is NOTHING like the m5...that should answer EVERYTHING...haha

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome aboard!

(a) No comment :ziplip:
(b) Yes
(c) Yes
(d) No

·
Registered
4,813 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm new to this board and making my first post. Two weeks ago I traded a 2005 Artic Silver 997 C2 (modded with 371 chp, lowered, etc.) for my dream car. When I got the used 997 in 2006 there was still quite a premium price on the new 2006 M5 so I choose the 997 and knew I would be waiting a few years to get the M5. These are very, very different automobiles. I feel the M5 has status, power, looks (although only the educated few even know what it is), comfort, and technology. The 997 is a all the above with much less comfort and no technology (electronic goodies [BT, voice, etc.]). The M5 clearly does not handle like the 997, but who would expect it to. I am so pleased with the decision to trade the 997 for the M5 and have seen only one drawback. This is the that I am getting to know the gas station attendant's name as I am there every 4 day. :cheers:

Reactions: Gustav

·
Registered
8,300 Posts

..You Have Been Cleared For Take-Off !!!!
............Now Go Out There And Get Them........cherrsagai
...............................:2:................................................

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My OP was so long and yours were so concise. I am looking into getting rid of the 997 first then into picking up an M5. I am scheduled for atest drive in FL Saturday, so we will see what we will see. I will keep you posted.
THANK YOU to everybody that replied! I really appreciate the input.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I can't speak to the comparison with the Porsche, but if you look at my signature, I have gone through a lot of cars. The M5 is the best overall car I have ever owned. You will not regret a 2008 M5.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
As much as I love the M5, and since you said you're keeping the 4Runner, dump the C2S and get a TT. You won't regret that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i was in a very similar situation... the lease on my M3 was up and i couldn't make up my mind what car to get, the '08 997CS or an '08 M5...

After months of sleepless nights, i couldn't deny the all around package that is the M5. This car can do it all ! As a daily driver there is NO car more capable then the M5, NO CAR. Family trips are no problem, large boot, nice airy cabin, very comfortable ride, Nav, bluetooth, cooling/heating seats, Sat radio, park assist... Then you push the M button... Dr. Jekyll, meet Mr. Hide

the M5 really is an automotive master piece.

·
Registered
994 Posts
As much as I love the M5, and since you said you're keeping the 4Runner, dump the C2S and get a TT. You won't regret that.
:nono:

I came from a P-car Turbo and prefer the M5 in every way. Cannot beat a naturally aspirated V10 producing 100bhp/liter.

Andrew Sherman answered the 4 questions you had and was spot on with those answers.

Enjoy your test drive and make sure you bring your check book.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I came from a 996 C4S to the M5. I'm mixed on the transition.

Engine/Transmission/Sound - wins for the M5. I love the SMG, and I suspect the double-clutch DSG will be even better. M5 sounds so much more exotic, although a tad quiet, but the 911 needs to sport exhaust to sound really good.

Performance - acceleration wins for the M5, but in every other way, I miss the 911 - better braking stability, tighter handling, more feel and involvement.

Comfort - Win for the 911. Yep, seriously. I just don't like the suspension in the M5, on any setting. It seems as though the engineers just couldn't find a sweet spot where they could control the mass of the M5, and give adequate ride comfort or handling. The ride is pretty harsh, but the overall grip level isn't high enough to justify it. Weight transfer during acceleration tends to make the M5 pogo up and down at the rear. My C4S handled much better, but was comfortable to drive as well. I just did a 1,000 mile road trip in the M5, and it was more fatiguing to drive than I'd hoped.

Hooligan Factor - win for the M5! The 911 wants to be driven smoothly, cleanly, and doesn't really care for more aggressive inputs. And it rewards such a driver prodigiously, but sometimes, you just want to stomp on the gas, throw the tail out, and smoke the tires. The Porsche responds to this like a German executive to someone farting in the boardroom. The M5 responds like a German at Oktoberfest when the beer comes. I do feel that the M5 can be more fun than a 911 in many circumstances. It's like Chris Farley in the SNL Chippendales skit with Patrick Swayze. He's a big boy, but he's got the moves.

Practicality - win for the M5 (obviously), but DAMN, the gas mileage is crap. I don't drive like a nutjob, but I get a solid 9.3 mpg on average. This is a modern car, a supposed miracle of Teutonic efficiency, but where is all that excess energy going? The car is aerodynamically efficient, or it couldn't crack 200 with a mere 500HP, the transmission doesn't have a stupid torque converter, so it's got to be the engine, which is miraculous in every other way. Highway cruising in 7th gear with cruise control barely gets me to 17mpg. It's not an issue of affordability, but it *bothers* me that every time I get in the car, even to run up to the Wag a Bag, the fuel gauge drops noticeably, and that's part of the ownership experience to be considered.

I have a huge amount of respect for the M5, and I like it a great deal, but a 911 is like the girl you break up with, and realize 6 months later what a terrible mistake it was. Unlike women, you can always go back to the Porsche. If I didn't have two small kids to carry, I'd still go back to the 911.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The Porsche responds to this like a German executive to someone farting in the boardroom. The M5 responds like a German at Oktoberfest when the beer comes.
Classic. :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
:nono:

I came from a P-car Turbo and prefer the M5 in every way. Cannot beat a naturally aspirated V10 producing 100bhp/liter.

Andrew Sherman answered the 4 questions you had and was spot on with those answers.

Enjoy your test drive and make sure you bring your check book.
If its one or the other, then I agree, the M5 is the best all around car, practical and fast.

But Swisstype mentions he's keeping the 4Runner, that seems to cover the practicality part. So what's wrong with have a P-Car for the fast part?

Especially a TT.....

Here's a reason KeithTa gives:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRvrOMgau4k

·
Registered
831 Posts
I am scheduled for atest drive in FL Saturday, so we will see what we will see. I will keep you posted.
THANK YOU to everybody that replied! I really appreciate the input.
Make sure when you do the test drive that the car is in P500/S5 and not P400. When I initially did my test drive, the car was in P400 mode, and I was not impressed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again for all your responses. To further answer these other questions, I must say that I think the 997S is fantastic in every way. While I agree that the M5 is a more pwerful car, I know that the "nimble-ness" is going to be har dto match, yet that is not what I am looking for. I like the idea of having my son not scrunch into a ball in the back of the car, a la the 997. Also, the roads here in Indiana are ****e, due to teh weather. I feel EVERYTHING in teh 997. I understand taht the M5 will be a somewhat better, but still a stiff ride.
The 4Runner is my everyday car, especially in the winter, but when I am local or doing a little road trip, or jsut want to "play," that is where the M5 comes in. It will get less than 10k miles per year. So, let me do my test drive and see what I think. I will keep you all posted.

Thansk again!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts