BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With some S62 motors failing, I feel compelled to report that the M62 community is finding more loose oil pump bolts on V8 E39. I do not know if the oil pump assembly on S62 is similar and nobody has commented on this possibility. A knowledgeable fellow (Electroman) reported yesterday that valve ticking symptoms went away after tightening a 540i pump. This was his post:

"Two months ago my 97 540/6 began leaking oil. The oil pan bolts were loose. As I was tightening them, I noticed it had the factory cork gasket and made a mental note to change it at the next oil change.

Which was today. After I pulled the pan I was surprised to see the oil pump loose. I had read the multiple posts here about it, but figured at 223.5k miles if the pump hadn't loosened up by now I didn't have anything to worry about. Wrong. Funny thing was the bolt seemed tight but the pump freely moved. The two nuts were no more than finger tight. Pulled all three, cleaned, locktite'd, and reinstalled.

As a bonus, the ticking noise in the engine that I thought was to be expected with high mileage is now gone.

Word of warning, the cork gasket was a major pain to remove off the steel oil pan. It was not, however, adhered at all to the aluminum surface of the engine.

I also noticed my pan had a couple of dents in it, I wonder if that is why the pan bolts loosened up initially? I do recall dragging on a couple of speed-bumps, but don't remeber the timing in relation to the oil leaking."

·
Registered
590 Posts
Lscman it appears the S62 and the M62 engines use the same design for the oil pump. Chain driven. With the pump being loose it was not against the mating surface on the block or deep enough inside the oil tube to allow some pressure to leak out. The valve lifters seem to be the last to get the oil. Probably not getting the pressure it should, hence the noisy lifters. This engine is more dependent on oil pressure then most, Vanos, four cams, 32 lifters, so I would guess a leak in that pressure system would starve something from the right oil pressure.

Very interesting article thanks for the info. I don't think the lower oil pan is that hard to get down in this car. Might be some cheap insurance to drop it and take a look.

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts