BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have any good or bad experiences with this set up? Should I mate it with the Dinan Supplemental Ride Bump Stop kit? Is the Dealer OEM Shock/Strut set up a better route?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I had stock shocks and springs and went to dinan rear sway and front control sway kit
Then mono balls
Then changed to dinan springs with bump stops and stock shocks

I thought it drove better but it would always bottom out

I wanted to keep edc and was sick of bottoming out when driving hard or with passengers so went bilstein b6 and back to stock springs
Heaps better handling and no bottoming out
I highly recommend this setup with stock springs as b6 were designed for stock height

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had stock shocks and springs and went to dinan rear sway and front control sway kit
Then mono balls
Then changed to dinan springs with bump stops and stock shocks

I thought it drove better but it would always bottom out

I wanted to keep edc and was sick of bottoming out when driving hard or with passengers so went bilstein b6 and back to stock springs
Heaps better handling and no bottoming out
I highly recommend this setup with stock springs as b6 were designed for stock height

That’s what I was concerned about- the fact that the B6’s weren’t designed for shorter springs. However I thought the Dinan bump stops might compensate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'd like to give the Dinan springs a go. Has anyone done this set up? Dinan suggests using their bumpstop kit but Bilstein B6 come with integrated bump stops for the front... and the shaft sizing may be wider or narrower than stock.

Thoughts?
:dunno:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I dont think you could go wrong with either but i think only b16 keeps edc

What exactly do you want to change on the car and what driving do you do??

·
Registered
369 Posts
Could you provide the source stating the Bilstein B6's should not be used with a lowering spring?

Bilstein's website states: "Bilstein B6 Performance (DampTronic) dampers are a performance upgrade to OE dampers designed to be paired with OE factory springs."

Turners advertisement states: "Bilstein shocks are ideal for use with lowering springs."

I'm over 100K on the original shocks...and planning to install Eibach lowering springs and these B6's. It is a family truckster until I get behind the wheel. I look at it as a cost effective replacement compared to the OEM's.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Bilsteins website quote exactly that designed for oem springs

When i researced it was the general consensus that this was the best solution and some people that used lowering springs regretted it

I had dinan lowering springs with progressive bump stops and stock shocks and it was too low imho

·
Registered
369 Posts
Craze - I don't read Bilstein's website that they *shouldn't* be used with lowering springs - just compatible with OEMs and lowering springs not required. Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have 44k on my recently acquired e60 M5. It is a California car and I live in NYC. The previous owner let car sit for a while and I feel that when it started hit the nyc roads it’s killed whatever life was left in the shocks/struts. Every bump I hit I feel/hear a “bonging” sound. Like a lack of absorption. I know the life expectancy of stock struts/shocks varies so I am willing to tackle that project now. At the same time a little tasteful drop wouldn’t hurt so I figured I’d give it a go. Just don’t want to regret it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Use them if you want

Ive used lowering springs on shocks designed for normal ride height several times and i can assure you its not the correct solution

It will work but not ideal

·
Registered
150 Posts
I dont think you could go wrong with either but i think only b16 keeps edc

What exactly do you want to change on the car and what driving do you do??
nothing more than spirited driving......the stock suspension rides great but looks way too high for me (specially in the front), right now I'm on H&R Springs/OEM Shocks....and while it looks great, it bottoms out on decent sized bumps. from what I've been reading coilovers are the way to go. KW V3 has 2 versions...one with EDC and one that deletes it. difference in price between the B16 and KW V3 is negligible, looking for opinions on both options.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nothing more than spirited driving......the stock suspension rides great but looks way too high for me (specially in the front), right now I'm on H&R Springs/OEM Shocks....and while it looks great, it bottoms out on decent sized bumps. from what I've been reading coilovers are the way to go. KW V3 has 2 versions...one with EDC and one that deletes it. difference in price between the B16 and KW V3 is negligible, looking for opinions on both options.

I believe that is why Dinan offers the bump stops for use with OEM shocks/struts. Kind of fills the space between a shorter spring and an oem shock/strut travel wise.

·
Registered
59 Posts

I am fairly sure the KW does not support EDC at all. The delete module just turns off the error code by fooling the car into thinking the shocks are plugged in.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am fairly sure the KW does not support EDC at all. The delete module just turns off the error code by fooling the car into thinking the shocks are plugged in.

I think you're right.... so I guess that really only leave the B16's as an option for those of us wanting to keep EDC.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just recently purchase this same set up b6 with dinan springs. I bought the dinan bump stops but you vent use them because bilsteins b6 has bump stop inside of the strut. I also called bilstein and rep said to me that they are built as a performance upgrade that came be used with lowering springs. Tomorrow I'll finish the installation. Just my 2 cents

1 - 19 of 19 Posts