BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking to run Seafoam through the engine just to clean it out a bit. I was curious if any of you guys have had experience doing this or words of wisdom.

Maybe they dont even have it overseas, so heres some info:
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

People swear by it, and an oil change is coming up so I figured now is the time.

Does the brake booster vacuum source seem the best?

Anyways, heres a pic from today after a wash for ****s and giggles

·
Registered
25 Posts
yup! definitely recommend it!
i've done it to my E46 with 180,000km

added 1/3 of can to vacuum line
then the rest in the gas tank

bought another can and added half of that in the crankcase

engine feels brand new and response is better and overall a lot smoother

·
Registered
546 Posts
High quality petroleum based detergent. Cleans up intake deposits. Lots of people swear it is greatest invention since the napkin. I personnally have not used ansd therefore cannot make a recomendation pro or con.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I don't put it in the oil.

Just the intake and gas for a cleaning, and only the gas just before an oil change.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'd herd about Sea Foam before, but never bothered to try and find it.

But upon reading this thread I figured I should give it a go in my truck as I currently have to drive it as a DD and it's running like crap as it sat for a while.

I've been a fan of using Techron to clean the engine internals as it worked better than anything else I'd tried. But I'd run 2 Techron treatments through my truck recently and while it helped, it didn't clean it out as well as I'd have liked.

So today I went and found a bottle of Sea Foam, took my truck to the top of a deserted parking garage (the bottle says the exhaust will be nasty while you do this, and it was) and poured half the bottle down the carb while it idled. I could watch it cleaning the carbon off the carb as I was pouring it down the carb.

Once I was done slowly pouring almost 1/2 the bottle down the carb I shut the engine off for 5 minutes like it says to. Then I dumped the rest of the bottle in the gas tank.

After it sat for 5 minutes I started it back up again and noticed that it was immediately running better. Was running & idling smoother, throttle response was greatly improved, and it wasn't wanting to die as easily due to running too rich and flooding out.

Ran it on the freeway for a few miles to try to continue to blow crap out of the engine. It improved even more doing that.

Sea Foam works a lot better & a lot quicker than using Techron (too bad I never tried it before today). I'll certainly be using Sea Foam from now on. Though it'll be a bit different to try using it on my M-Sport than my truck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, Ill be doing this fairly soon and will post results. Does everyone agree the brake booster vacuum is the best source for even dispersion on the s38?

·
Registered
108 Posts
subscribing to see results. car's looking great, man :cheers:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I did it. I bought 6 feet of tubing and cut it into 6 pieces for each throttle body nipple. I the placed about half of the seafoam in 2 cups and put 3 of the hoses in each cup.

I put the rest in the crank case and let it sit for 10 minutes.

Here are some pics:

and heres a video of the start up and smoke:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K9Tv8j9Oh8

Overall, I guess I dont really notice a difference. Im not saying its not worth it, as its only 6 bucks, but maybe my engine just didnt need it.

Anyway, oil change tomorrow

thought it post the updates :cool2:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Your engine probably didn't really need it, but it wasn't a bad idea to try. It was certainly immediately noticeable when I ran half the bottle through the carb. And after I ran the other half through the gas tank w/about 7 gallons of gas it was better yet.

I'm actually tempted to run it again as I might still get improvement with another bottle.

How come you didn't run any through the gas tank? I'd guess the first place a BMW engine might get dirty is the injectors. And you need to run cleaner in the fuel to take care of that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I only have about 50k on the rebuild so its not a high mileage motor, I just wanted to clean it out if it needed it.

Gas will be next time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
white smoke came out of mine for about 20 seconds or so

good call on the oil change!
when I did mine after seafoaming it,
the oil came out clear but sludgy

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
How come you didn't run any through the gas tank? I'd guess the first place a BMW engine might get dirty is the injectors. And you need to run cleaner in the fuel to take care of that.
It's pretty straightforward to remove the injectors and give them a quick clean, or even better get them sonically cleaned, so you don't really NEED to run anything through the gas tank IMO :blink:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im bumping this because Ive had a change of heart. The car is noticeably smoother around town.

I dont know what it was, but its improved a smidge.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I bought 3 cans of it today at autozone along with about $40 other dollars of sealers, glue, gasket compound etc, that i can't find in germany:applause:

so one can for the M5, one for the 325 ring beater, and one for the 318iT DD:biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Im bumping this because Ive had a change of heart. The car is noticeably smoother around town.

I dont know what it was, but its improved a smidge.
Oddly enough my truck continued to improve for a couple of days after I'd used up all of the gas that had the Seafoam in it.

I really should try another bottle, but this time put the Seafoam in one tank, and regular gas in the other. Run the regular gas until the engine gets up to temp them switch over to the tank with the Seafoam in it. I'd imagine that it works better on an engine that's up to temp.

Too bad we don't have two tanks in our E34's. Though I'd not exactly want to put 45 gallons into the M-Sport on a complete fill up. I'm not fond of that in the truck...

·
Registered
109 Posts
bumping this back up because im about to do it. my M5 just cleared 126k and its time for an oil change so i bought oil, a filter and some seafoam.

im not 100% sure on where i want to inject this stuff into my motor, i originally planned to run some through the oil and some through the fuel, but someone mentioned not to run it through the oil?

what do you guys suggest?

ps i stole the pic on the first back and made it my backround. its my inspiration to get low!

·
Registered
763 Posts
bumping this back up because im about to do it. my M5 just cleared 126k and its time for an oil change so i bought oil, a filter and some seafoam.

im not 100% sure on where i want to inject this stuff into my motor, i originally planned to run some through the oil and some through the fuel, but someone mentioned not to run it through the oil?

what do you guys suggest?

ps i stole the pic on the first back and made it my backround. its my inspiration to get low!
Yeah, I never add anything to the oil....

I add it to the gas and feed it into the intake before an oil change.

Getting it into the intake is tricky do with the ITBs, but if you run a vacuum line to each nipple on the ITB you can get it evenly to all cylindars with six lines running into the can of seafoam.

·
Registered
109 Posts
so should i pour half of into the tank and the other half into the throttle bodies? should the car be running when i feed it into the ITBs? the pic on the other page gives me an idea, ill have to look at my motor closer to see exactly where im feeding it into the system.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts