BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at two 2003 M5 CPO. One is Imola Red/Black/Red seats 18K, one owner, nice car (only why the owner used Jiffy Lube to change oil?) in service day 7/03 (dealer is adamant about $58,900). They have not detailed the car yet.

The other is 2003 M5 CPO Charcoal Black/Black/Silver Seats, 25K, one owner, leased vehicle from Boston area, nice car, has RD Sport exhaust, in service 10/02, it has chips on wheels that looks like were caused by clip on balance weights and they have not change tires. Car has Toyo tires (50% used) Dealer also wants $58,900. I think this car combination looks better.

I am considering to offers in $55-56K range. What do you think? I have requested copy of CPO inspection from both dealers.

Anyone knows of 2003 M5 Charcoal Black with RD Sport exhaust that has been sold at the auction in last 4 months (VIN last 7 digit are CF91999)

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the board. A few clarifications, no disrespect intended:
The Imola Red car has Imola sports interior.

The other car is Carbon black with Silverstone sports interior (not charcoal black).

M5s do not come OEM with Toyo tires, so the CB sample, at 25k miles, has used up 1.5 sets of tires. Seeing that it's a Boston car, the summer tires are only in-service 8-9 months per year, I'd say the PO was a pretty aggressive driver. While carbon black/silverstone is an excellent combination, they are around. If you really like this car, please check it thoroughly. High miles and PO tendency seem troubling for $58.9k.

One last thing. Are you sure the CB sample was auctioned? Generally speaking, dealers only send the bottom-rung (or hard to sell color) samples to auctions. Carbon black is a desirable color. If the car went through auction, it suggest inferior quality in the dealers' eyes.

Good luck in your search.

CP

·
10,455 Posts
additionally, i'd be surprised if they would cpo a car with an aftermarket exhaust. Now here, we all know that is not a problem, but per the bmw cpo guidlines, modifications are a no no...
Mike

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I just talked with Imola Red previous owner. He is local to me, and assured me that car has been well taken care of, not raced, garaged and he traded-in for tha more family type car, because of two young kids. I could hear then in the background...tomorrow I will verify CPO inspection documents...let see if we can make this deal happen...Not my first choice of color, but all other aspects of the car checked out..

I cannot do the same thing with other M5 and previous respondent put some doubt in my mind...

I have to ask and start new thread about red cars and cops..

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome to the board :byebye:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ashok Arora said:
Welcome to the board :byebye:
Thank you for all the welcome messages, I have been reading this board for few months. Initially, I was looking to get M3, but my wife convinced me to get 2004 330Xi, I did it, but I always felt like I was missing something special. Do not get me wrong 330Xi is great, but does not have personality, I was looking for. Now, I am taking a bath on the trade-in of 330Xi, but I am following my dream....

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Good plan! I bought a new 2002 540i/6 in Jan 02 as the wait for the M5 was still a long list at that time at my local dealers. It took about 1 year for me to realize I had to get the M5. After hunting for 6 months or so, I found a 1 owner 01 model with 12k miles in LeMans blue (color I wanted, I had ordered the 540i in Topaz Blue). You won't be the least bit sorry, and you'll never look back on the 330i. :blink:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
DO NOT kid yourself that the 'dealers CPO inspection paperwork' is worth a crap.

Sure, look at it, but do your own inspection. They will cpo cars with body damage and repairs. With bad ebrake. with other problems.

Welcome! and good luck

A

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Welcome and good luck with your future purchase. Which ever car you choose, make sure you have it inspected by a neutral third party. CPO inspection is not worth the paper it's written on :flag:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I echo CP's thoughts.. While Imola Red is not my favorite color it might be the better of the 2 cars ..

Good luck in your decision..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found the answer about modification. They just are not included in the CPO warranty, so in case of CB car if anything goes wrong with exhaust it is just not covered by CPO warranty.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
igorkb said:
I found the answer about modification. They just are not included in the CPO warranty, so in case of CB car if anything goes wrong with exhaust it is just not covered by CPO warranty.
Unfortunatley, Mods are always the culprit:sad3:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
igorkb said:
Of course.

But the point that I think was being made is that BMW will not allow the entire car to be CPO'd if it has ANY non-Dinan modifications. So unless the car was cpo'd when stock and subsequently modified, the dealer may be pulling a fast one with the cpo. No sweat off your nose- it is between BMWNA and the dealer.... Plus, how often does an exhaust break? Of course there is the 'dealerspeak' for "your problem is likely caused by these modifications" translated to "we don't know what's wrong"

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: I am not looking anymore, I just signed and bought the 03 Imola Red. It has been the cleanest car, and after talking with PO he reassured me that car was babied. It looks like new car, 9 months younger than CB, stock. We settled on $58,300, which I think is reasonable price for car with 18.5K miles. I am picking my new lady up on Saturday.

Now, I need to get some classical music CDs to relax while I am driving. Do not need any tickets in first few weeks of ownership. Next thing, V1 radar detector to save me..

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
igorkb said:
Update: I am not looking anymore, I just signed and bought the 03 Imola Red. It has been the cleanest car, and after talking with PO he reassured me that car was babied. It looks like new car, 9 months younger than CB, stock. We settled on $58,300, which I think is reasonable price for car with 18.5K miles. I am picking my new lady up on Saturday.

Now, I need to get some classical music CDs to relax while I am driving. Do not need any tickets in first few weeks of ownership. Next thing, V1 radar detector to save me..
Congrats! Wow, you must be pleased.

(I assume the PO told you what he got for it as well.... nice to have that info)

You got a good deal for a cpo.

What you NEED is Sirius- :)

Ard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts