BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2013 M3 with 16,000 miles(SMG) and was wondering what the major problems these cars have and what to look for. Also I currently drive a E63 M6 so if anyone has any comparison that would be great.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am looking at a 2013 M3 with 16,000 miles(SMG) and was wondering what the major problems these cars have and what to look for. Also I currently drive a E63 M6 so if anyone has any comparison that would be great.
I have a 2011 M3 w/ DCT. It's been one of the best cars I've owned so far.

The biggest "problem" would be the rod bearings. A small percentage of cars have bad rod bearings from the factory. As a result, you may end up with a very pricey problem down the line.

You can get a blackstone report done on the oil to check and see if the rod bearings are ok. I personally did not do that and have not had any issues. I intend on swapping the rod bearings to coated bearings at some point in the near future, as a preventative measure.

Other than that, you may expect the same problems any BMW might have. As any nice car, the M3 will require regular maintenance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 2011 M3 w/ DCT. It's been one of the best cars I've owned so far.

The biggest "problem" would be the rod bearings. A small percentage of cars have bad rod bearings from the factory. As a result, you may end up with a very pricey problem down the line.

You can get a blackstone report done on the oil to check and see if the rod bearings are ok. I personally did not do that and have not had any issues. I intend on swapping the rod bearings to coated bearings at some point in the near future, as a preventative measure.

Other than that, you may expect the same problems any BMW might have. As any nice car, the M3 will require regular maintenance.
Oil analysis cannot be relied on to indicate if bearings are worn/failing. There are a number of threads devoted to this issue on E90post

1 - 7 of 7 Posts