BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
18-year-old who has no idea about E60M chassis, just starting college, wanting to buy an e60 M5.....what could go wrong....
I'm not going to go into details dude, just save yourself some time, money, trouble, and....buy something else. Trust me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
18-year-old who has no idea about E60M chassis, just starting college, wanting to buy an e60 M5.....what could go wrong....
I'm not going to go into details dude, just save yourself some time, money, trouble, and....buy something else. Trust me.
Absolutely agree with you

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, you should be spending money on cheap beer, late night taco bell runs, and making mistakes about investing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The owners on this forum represent such a small minority who actually take proper care of their beasts.

The quality of the vast majority E60 M5's on the market are proof of that. Additionally most for sale are at least 3 owner if not more with mileage north of 100k. The probability of needing to catch up on "deferred maintenance" (read: previous owner was too cheap to address) is painfully real and can be painfully expensive.

Even if you are comfortable wrenching, consumables are stupid expensive compared to a "normal" car, not to mention any parts that break or need replacing. Go on FCP euro, ECS, Turner motorsport etc etc and look up general prices. Call around to a couple shops near you for quotes on bearing swaps.

These are wonderful cars, but they can be very needy and spendy to keep on the road in a healthy condition.

Perhaps you're independently wealthy at 18, but without a couple grand to sort whatever you get and an additional couple K more in a slush fund for keeping it going, I really would not recommend getting one.

Look I don't want to come off negative on the M5 or you, but I don't want you r anyone else to be blindsided by costs and have the car down for extended periods of time because you can't afford them and you don't want to end up resenting it or needing to sell at a loss.

I love my M5 more than any person should like an inanimate object, but I'm honest and acknowledge that its a purely emotional choice not a super fiscally responsible one with 2 decent incomes and no kids. Myself at 18 would have struggled to keep the tank full on premium daily driving let alone anything else.

Best of luck

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I struggle to keep my tank full not for financial reasons with this car. :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Proof, the emblem on the side vent fell off. Shocked to find out its $50!!! Then I was thinking maybe someone stole it while in a parking lot. Except for us long time owners, no Joe Schmo out there is spending $50 on that.

Even if you are comfortable wrenching, consumables are stupid expensive compared to a "normal" car, not to mention any parts that break or need replacing. Go on FCP euro, ECS, Turner motorsport etc etc and look up general prices.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Proof, the emblem on the side vent fell off. Shocked to find out its $50!!! Then I was thinking maybe someone stole it while in a parking lot. Except for us long time owners, no Joe Schmo out there is spending $50 on that.
That is because you went to BMW:) bmw must make lots of money in the NA

·
Registered
136 Posts
The corners of my lower steering wheel trim are rubbing off to the gloss finish. I want to replace it but not sure if I want to spend $70 for some plastic ugh. One of these days I'll break down and do it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The corners of my lower steering wheel trim are rubbing off to the gloss finish. I want to replace it but not sure if I want to spend $70 for some plastic ugh. One of these days I'll break down and do it.
YouTube it...I fixed mine by rubbing off the peeling rubberish thing and spray it with plastic mate black spray can.. you should spend no more than $5 and 30 minutes.... There is a YouTube video... It really looks amazing after 6 mo

·
Registered
228 Posts
I struggle to keep my tank full not for financial reasons with this car. :)
Never felt this good spending a lot of money for trips to the gas station.. totally worth it for this car in my opinion.. lol.. I made the time to look for a very well maintained M5 6mt. Definitely paying off right now. But yeah, sticker price on this car might be cheap nowadays but you definitely gotta have a good income to own and maintain one.. even if you can wrench on your own. Absolutely dont recommend it either if its your only means of getting around.

·
Registered
228 Posts
YouTube it...I fixed mine by rubbing off the peeling rubberish thing and spray it with plastic mate black spray can.. you should spend no more than $5 and 30 minutes.... There is a YouTube video... It really looks amazing after 6 mo
Do you have the specific brand spray paint that you used? Mine is doing the same and I don't feel like getting on the carbon fiber everything bandwagon..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Do you have the specific brand spray paint that you used? Mine is doing the same and I don't feel like getting on the carbon fiber everything bandwagon..
I live in UK ..I used Simoniz Matt Black but any good paint would do...take the trim off...heat it up with your wife's hair dryer and you will easy to peel off the rubber. Use for grease remover before applying the paint and I would give 3 coats(it's takes 20 min do dry)... I love the way it look...it looks fresh and brand new...

·
Registered
228 Posts
I live in UK ..I used Simoniz Matt Black but any good paint would do...take the trim off...heat it up with your wife's hair dryer and you will easy to peel off the rubber. Use for grease remover before applying the paint and I would give 3 coats(it's takes 20 min do dry)... I love the way it look...it looks fresh and brand new...
Ok, it looks like a regular acrylic paint. Just wanted to make sure I get one that doesn't melt the plastic. Thanks again and I didn't mean to mess up this thread.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
^this is correct.

·
Registered
574 Posts
LOL no dealer was $70-80 and got from ECS for like $44

That is because you went to BMW:) bmw must make lots of money in the NA

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have my supercharged Ess M5 for sale 2008 contact me if intrested 716-907-1108 have all info on what’s been done to the car.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts