BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, im new to this form and pretty new to the e60 m5 car itself. Im looking to figure out what things i need to look out for and especially things i can upgrade to keep this car running in great shape. I have did my research and found many problems with the smg transmission itself, rod bearings and the vanos system. Im sure that isnt even the full list. I understand this is a high performance car and i have to baby it alot. I live in the city and do stop alot, what would be some recommendations that can help extend the life of the car and help me not buy a disaster.
I also have seen talk of a euro flash and just wondering whats the difference

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hello everyone, im new to this form and pretty new to the e60 m5 car itself. Im looking to figure out what things i need to look out for and especially things i can upgrade to keep this car running in great shape. I have did my research and found many problems with the smg transmission itself, rod bearings and the vanos system. Im sure that isnt even the full list. I understand this is a high performance car and i have to baby it alot. I live in the city and do stop alot, what would be some recommendations that can help extend the life of the car and help me not buy a disaster.
I also have seen talk of a euro flash and just wondering whats the difference
If You not yet have it and already worrying then the car is not for you. In my view there are two ways to happily own this car 1) to be mechanically inclined and do your own work on the car..in these case maintaining this car is relatively cheap or 2) you have a 6 digit yearly income...some would say that if you have 6 digit yearly income you can afford a better car...I strongly disagree...you will struggle to find a better car even by today's standards...E60 M5 is so raw...so special...I would trade any today's luxury and tech for E60 M5's drive train...
Now, driving it in the city is not fun...SMG in the city sux...but the car was not made for the city..

To avoid big bills you only need to do the following

1) replace rod bearings
2)rehaul throttle actuators(not new ones)
3) check your vanos pressure once in a while
4) oil every 5k
5)never above 3k when cold

Around E60 M5 is a stupid unrealistic paranoia...if you get hit with it you won't enjoy it ...

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I definitely dont have a 6 figure salary and actually starting soon at a automotive technician college, Thank you for ur response i will keep that all in mind

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well I have had my car for about six months. It is a special car, V10 that revs to 8500 and makes over 500hp. With that said I rarely drive my car on the street. I live out in the country and getting stuck behind someone at 50 will be the death of me. The SMG shift on the track at full throttle is sweet bliss, the same shift at part throttle on the street is murder. Stop and go traffic I would think would kill the car and you may kill yourself. You will be doing triple digits by the second shift and I think that is just a bit much for the street in terms of safety.

I bought my car with 109k and about 10k on new rod bearings and clutch for 11k. I am just now getting comfortable with the power. I must admit that I had done my research as well, I am still nervous about the problems. I have vanos noise on one bank. The solenoids are $1800 each and there are four, I bought AM for $120 each. That didn't fix the noise. The rebuilt assybles are $2500ea and there are two. If I had paid 100k for the car I guess it would be no sweat. I did not and you will not spend that. So looking at half of what I paid for the car for any number of repairs is a little unnerving. In the end you have to be committed to the car. If you are not ready to spend 5k at any moment your car will end up sitting.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Great car ...... plenty of power and extremely comfortable. Once you get all maintenance stuff done. Drive it. Plenty of ppl here with high miles and not babying the car. Why would you want to baby an M ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Your right, im just worried I Decided to buy one and end up being a beater, should i get a pre-inspection at a local dealer or maybe find a private?
Just a regular 18 year old trying to find the one 🥺

·
Registered
132 Posts
Your right, im just worried I Decided to buy one and end up being a beater, should i get a pre-inspection at a local dealer or maybe find a private?
Just a regular 18 year old trying to find the one
I would give a brand new f90 M5 to be 18 again and own an E60 M5 :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
.... I have did my research and found many problems with the smg transmission itself, rod bearings and the vanos system. .....
Need more research. No BMW is cheap to maintain - M cars less so. Sure you can save lots of $$$ by doing your own work, and you may do a better job than a dealer or shop . Parts are still spendy.

Understand what you are getting into. They are awesome cars. But - if you don't have deep pockets right now - think twice - IMO.

·
Registered
76 Posts
To OP, I bought my M5 about 6 months ago with fairly high milage (93k). It was an impulse buy. I have owned 2 other bmws in the past but I did no research before buying the M5. Once I got home I got online and was paranoid for probably 2 months. The first thing I did was get the rod bearings replaced along with a few other things. After 600 miles my oil pan gasket went, ( the i shop used is very reputable in the M car community, I believe it was just bad luck). The only problem so far I’ve had is a steering angle/speed sensor, just had it cleaned and it was good. I would not have bought the car if I did not have another car to drive because I am by no means rich, however I am able to save some money each month just to fix my M if anything happens (even if I have to sit it for a month or 2). My opinion is if you don’t have a second car and can’t dish out some decent cash it could go bad (I’ve also gotten 400 dollars worth of tickets already) don’t be like me. The car is worth the money if you really love it like I do. Continue doing research, GL

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm not sure why you want an E60 M5. There are better looking less problematic cars, there is no other way to get the V10 sound and power. I have an E38 740il, it was 3k and in two years I have spent that much in parts. This was the first car I took to the track. I have done just about everything that could be done. I love this car, it is a dream to drive on the street or the track, it looks beautiful and there is enough power to enjoy but not get in trouble. You will hear the same feedback on that forum about maintenance. A 740 sport car would be even better. If you want a nice car that is fun to drive anywhere an E39 525 or 540 would be hard to beat. They are rock solid, very nice looking and comfortable. I just solds my wifes and she is driving my 740.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm not sure why you want an E60 M5. There are better looking less problematic cars, there is no other way to get the V10 sound and power. I have an E38 740il, it was 3k and in two years I have spent that much in parts. This was the first car I took to the track. I have done just about everything that could be done. I love this car, it is a dream to drive on the street or the track, it looks beautiful and there is enough power to enjoy but not get in trouble. You will hear the same feedback on that forum about maintenance. A 740 sport car would be even better. If you want a nice car that is fun to drive anywhere an E39 525 or 540 would be hard to beat. They are rock solid, very nice looking and comfortable. I just solds my wifes and she is driving my 740.
Hehe.. my wife has a 2017 420d grandcoupe...my E60 M5 looks much better imo

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's like any other high powered vehicle. Sometimes things break. Just get the rod bearings done for the peace of mind, otherwise it'll end up an expensive paper weight.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don’t think you can compare 740 to the E60 M5. However I don’t disagree that a 740 or a 540 might be a better first bimmer than the E60. My first Bimmer was an E34 540i and it was the love of my life at 18. I thought it was the coolest car ever then.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don’t think you can compare 740 to the E60 M5. However I don’t disagree that a 740 or a 540 might be a better first bimmer than the E60. My first Bimmer was an E34 540i and it was the love of my life at 18. I thought it was the coolest car ever then.
He was just joking mate

1 - 20 of 39 Posts