BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have a question.

I've recently decided that I am going to purchase a performance sedan, either the '03 M5 or the '04 E55 AMG. Since I am just out of college, this is a pretty big decision for me so I would really appreciate some input.

I'm leaning more towards the M5 because it's a beautiful car and a better all around performer, but the E55 is also a good performing car (more in a straight line though) and a good looking car. It's also an automatic, which is good for the traffic jams in the city.

My two largest concerns are reliability and maintenance costs.

Since I'm most likely going to buy these cars without a warranty, repairs will be paid out of pocket. What do you think it will cost to maintain each car.

Since the car that I get will be a daily driver that I will probably keep for 5 years, reliability is a big concern. Which car is better in terms of reliability and why?

Thanks,

Andrey

·
Registered
46 Posts
The E55 pulls like a freight train. However it's more of a straight line care when compared to the M5. Honestly as a former MB employee they are not the most reliable machines on the road and the up keep is expensive like most high end cars. BMWs tend to last a bit longer with less demand for maintenance. Finally it all comes down to regular service and owner care. I was also stuck between the two prior to my M5.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have an 03' M5 and bro has 06' E55 that I have driven hard. I just did a major amount of maintenance on his car and parts are about the same $$ as far as brakes (the E55 front pads are $$ since there are 4 pads PER caliper), air/oil filters. The E55 has 16 spark plugs vs. our has 8. SC belt was a breeze to change out. If you haven't already, check out www.mbworld.org under W211 E55 AMG for info on the car.

Other posters are accurate. The E55 is a rocket in the straight line...effortless to drive straight and in traffic. Interior is a bit more luxurious/modern. The M5 is more of a driver's car...better around the twisties and I live the 6 speed. My M5 is actually up for sale here on the board but think I will just keep her. Nothing is wrong with it just don't drive it enough and I have another highly modded car that I don't drive enough either. Anyway, it depends on the type of driver you are. Of course, go out and test drive them both. A good place to do that is Carmax...do a search on the net to see if your local Carmax has both cars to test drive. Good luck.

Jeff

Reactions: AndreyR

·
Registered
125 Posts
Remember these cars cars are not cheap, high maintenance costs and what not. Repairs can be expensive also, a warranty would be a good idea.

p.s.- If your still set on buying one, go for the M5! :goldcup:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by AndreyR
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
it always makes me chuckle when people looking at cars like this cite this as their main concern.
My seven year old nephew and I were checking out my brother-in-law's 323I one day. We got to the trunk and I saw the toolkit and I said "Check that out! They even give you a set of tools." and then he said "Thats because they know its gonna break." :hihihi:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'd buy a toyota camry, if reliability and maintenance costs are a major issue. I assume fuel prices are also of concern. When we see $4/gal gas again, you'll start regretting your purchase. I love my car, but often times wished I bought an eco box.

If you DIY, MB and BMW are about equal, having owned both. Parts can be cheap if you know where to look and shop around. The major issue is if something big breaks. I'm a firm believer that warranties are not worth it as most of the time, the amount you pay into the warranty is more than if you pocketed the money yourself. That's how companies can sell a warranty. However, if you're the unlucky one, you'll be very unlucky.

If you're less scrupulous than the average person, get gap coverage at the fraction of the cost of a warranty. If something goes terribly wrong, you have two options, depending on the circumstances.

-If the car is running, "slip" on some "ice" or "oil" and see if you can take out a tree/telephone pole/skyscraper.
-If the car is not running, push the car near a tree and "accidentally" cut it down on top of the car.

(FYI: I don't carry gap coverage and I am scrupulous, but just giving options to people out there :) )

However, given your criteria, I still recommend a camry.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have a question.

I've recently decided that I am going to purchase a performance sedan, either the '03 M5 or the '04 E55 AMG. Since I am just out of college, this is a pretty big decision for me so I would really appreciate some input.

I'm leaning more towards the M5 because it's a beautiful car and a better all around performer, but the E55 is also a good performing car (more in a straight line though) and a good looking car. It's also an automatic, which is good for the traffic jams in the city.

Since I'm most likely going to buy these cars without a warranty, repairs will be paid out of pocket. What do you think it will cost to maintain each car.

Since the car that I get will be a daily driver that I will probably keep for 5 years, reliability is a big concern. Which car is better in terms of reliability and why?

Thanks,

Andrey
Dumb question/wrong place IMHO :confused3

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have both and I will keep both.

If you are looking to make some trouble and make minced meat out of cars on the street then the E55 is your car. The car is easy to drive slow, and even easier to drive fast! It is gorgeous, has a great luxurious interior and so far (knock on wood) has been reliable.

A $2500 belt/ECU change will have your E55 in the high 11 second 1/4 mile range on some sticky drag radials. That is no slouch, even against the most powerful street cars out there. I bet you won't meet your match on the street as the 5-speed auto makes repeatable launching pretty simple, although burning rubber is really easy as well!

The E39 M5 doesn't need an explanation here, it is a wonderful car I will never let go of.

Reactions: AndreyR

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
it always makes me chuckle when people looking at cars like this cite this as their main concern.
Ain't that the truth!!!:grinyes:

Reactions: 155plus

·
Registered
121 Posts
hey man...it's pretty simple...

if you want a powerful, mad car that's easy to drive, then go for the e55...the m5 is a lot of fun to drive because you are obviously more involved. i also think the m5 has a better interior. it feels a lot tighter and seats are 100x more sportier than the e55s.

both cars are relatively expensive to maintain. basic maintence on the M like oil changes cost ~$150, brakes/rotors all around cost ~$1500 just to give you an idea...try to look out for a CPO or get an aftermarket warranty, especially since it's going to be a daily driver.

good luck. congrats on graduating. keep us posted !

PS: have you considered a CPO 335i? you can get a good deals on those now. quick car, you can easily mod it to get 400hp with software tuning, and you have the piece of mind of free maintenance. just an idea ;)

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
M5, and you will never look back!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Both will be high maintenance, get one with a warranty. All MB owners recommend their cars, all of us will say BMW (which is better), however I almost bought the MB and agree with you on the styling. The ride is more comfortable in the MB, but it is not an M5. Drive them both and get the best warranty on either....One will speak to you! PS make sure you have another car to drive while either is in the shop! My GMC Sierra is always there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everyone, you've all been very helpful. Thanks for your input except for Fiori, his wasn't that helpful.

I wasn't expecting this much insight. I'm not really worried about paying for the repairs or for the car, its just that I'd rather buy the more reliable car. Haha, obviously. I've just heard so much good about both cars and I wanted to hear the other side.

So far everything is leaning towards the M5.

I'll keep you guys posted with my decision.

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Everyone, you've all been very helpful. Thanks for your input except for Fiori, his wasn't that helpful.

I wasn't expecting this much insight. I'm not really worried about paying for the repairs or for the car, its just that I'd rather buy the more reliable car. Haha, obviously. I've just heard so much good about both cars and I wanted to hear the other side.

So far everything is leaning towards the M5.

I'll keep you guys posted with my decision.
Have you driven both? It would seem the difference in transmissions would be a big part of your decision.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 20 of 29 Posts