BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been looking to buy an E34 M5 for the past month or so and have been doing nothing but research so far. In that month long period, I've also taken a look at 2 M5. The first was a really sorry sight, and was being driven by a 17 year old - they're attitude was "when it breaks we fix it." I walked away.

The second one I saw last night, had 203,200 kms on it, and is owned by a BMW fanatic who also happens to be a mechanic (his driveway was filled with the E34, an E39 M5, and two E28s). It's a 1989 euro import, Macao Blue, with a tan extended leather interior (would this be Natur?). the E34 was his DD, and recently he adjusted all of the valves, replaced the oil pan gasket and intake/throttle body gasket, KYB shocks in the front, Bilsteins in the rear, H&R springs all round, new control arms, bushings, ball joint, etc. Mechanically the car seems to be very sound, however it has some troubling cosmetic issues. The car has been an outside car, and has definitely been a daily driver to all of it's life - the exterior has some clear coat peeling on the mirrors, and it's starting to haze in a few spots (1" sized spot on the roof, and a 1/2" in sized spot on the hood). Interior wise, these are the "large" problems. The extended leather is pretty beat on the 2 front doors, and the driver's and passenger's seat. I've been searching around, and it seems like the door panels weren't delaminating, but rather the middle inserts were only falling off (common problem, right?), and the arm rests looked a little water damage (however the interior was bone dry). The front seats need some serious restoration work (heavily cracked, and a rip in the driver's). The backs are in decent shape, and they're the 2+2 configuration with a rear-centre console. Also for some reason the car's odometer reset when it hit 200,000kms - it's currently reading "003200." Have any of you seen anything like this before??? Anyways, asking price is around $6000 - think that is relatively fair?

Pics for clicks:

The tails are OEM smoked HELLA's - actually, does the paint look like it's Daytona Violet?
Thoughts?

·
Banned
47 Posts
Don't be afraid of high mileage. The suspension, tranny and engine are built to withstand racing engine speeds and yet are usually driven very sedatly. The electronics and body components however, are not. Buy one that is well maintained, a late model year, garaged in good condition but don't be afraid of mileage. You could probably get one across the pond and import it for less.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
That looks like a Macao Blue M5 and has a lovely leather interior with the 4 seat set up and cruise control .

If it's structurally sound and mechanically good , it's a great buy !

D

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Sounds a fair price to me, it is a 20 yr old car and been used daily so it's going to be far from perfect, that is reflected in it's price IMO

How much would a top condition one go for? Then if it's mechanically sound you have the balance of the budget(theoretically) to get her up to your standard.

I personally would change the rear lights, I think the front is sitting high and the wheels wouldn't be my choice but the colour combo is good and the spec sounds nice so if it's what you want go for it or wait til a better one comes along, good luck in whatever you decide:noSMG:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks like a Macao Blue M5 and has a lovely leather interior with the 4 seat set up and cruise control .

If it's structurally sound and mechanically good , it's a great buy !

D
Yeah, and it appears to be as such - just a few cosmetic things. Like I said, I was pretty bummed about the interior condition, but I know I've got some leatherique hiding around here somewhere..

Sounds a fair price to me, it is a 20 yr old car and been used daily so it's going to be far from perfect, that is reflected in it's price IMO

How much would a top condition one go for? Then if it's mechanically sound you have the balance of the budget(theoretically) to get her up to your standard.

I personally would change the rear lights, I think the front is sitting high and the wheels wouldn't be my choice but the colour combo is good and the spec sounds nice so if it's what you want go for it or wait til a better one comes along, good luck in whatever you decide:noSMG:
I guess my main problem is I'm coming from a car of the same vintage, with the same milage - the difference being the interior is pretty much spotless, the exterior is pretty darn good, and it has no rust. Mentally, it's kinda like a step down in the cosmetic department. I believe the pictures were taken before the fronts were lowered - he said he had some issue with Bilstein sending him the wrong shock absorbers (for a while), hence it now has KYB's in the front, and Bilsteins in the rear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts