BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking at buying an e39 m5 for a couple months and found a 2000 with 96k on it asking 12 for it. interior was in excellent shape while the exterior needed a detail but also in really good shape for a 14 year old car. only thing i found weird was the transmission. Owner said he had replaced the trans mounts with uuc blue mounts and also replaced the guibo. This thing was vibrating like crazy while clutch was engaged and i could hear a lot of noise coming in the cabin. The clutch engaged fine as well as went into every gear just fine. Is it something to shy away from or no? Thanks

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Ive been looking at buying an e39 m5 for a couple months and found a 2000 with 96k on it asking 12 for it. interior was in excellent shape while the exterior needed a detail but also in really good shape for a 14 year old car. only thing i found weird was the transmission. Owner said he had replaced the trans mounts with uuc blue mounts and also replaced the guibo. This thing was vibrating like crazy while clutch was engaged and i could hear a lot of noise coming in the cabin. The clutch engaged fine as well as went into every gear just fine. Is it something to shy away from or no? Thanks
Sounds like a pressure plate or throw out bearing issue. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but I would expect to be doing a clutch job in the near future.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
588 Posts
Could be the mounts themselves too. They're for a track car that is sometimes street driven (from the UUC website).

"The urethane is a higher durometer (stiffer) material than the rubber and offers nearly the same drivetrain motion control as a solid delrin or aluminum mount, but with significant vibration isolation. That last detail makes it a better choice for a track car that is occassionally street-driven, where cabin noise is a concern. While UUC does expect some vibration transmitted into the cabin, initial user reports say that it is minimal and certainly acceptable."
Transmission Mount Bushing kit -BLUE ISOLATED (priced per pair) – UUC Motorwerks Online Store

What is 'acceptable' is a personal preference. I don't know how much stiffer these are from stock but I replaced the differential mounts in my race miata with urethane mounts and the difference in vibration and sound was very noticeable. I may go back to stock.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have those blue mounts in my 2001, they're just on the edge of what I'd consider acceptable for a street car and let in a lot of trans/driveline noise. I would bet it's the mounts. Most people that ride in my car will ask what's wrong with it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah thats what the owner was saying is the problem i just don't wanna buy something with a bad transmission. I'm gonna have the car ppi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts