BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok everyone...need some thoughts here. I was driving home from the airport last Thursday (was out of town for 6 days and the car was at the airport). About 10 miles after I left I got the coolant level low warning light. I looked at the temp and was a couple degrees above the standard 210. I watched it pretty good and was fluctuating maybe 5-10. A little out of the ordinary, but didn't go up any more from that. Then the engine malfunction light came on and reduced power. I started getting pretty nervous. I pulled over and popped the hood to find some coolant spray on the engine and bottom of the hood. No major leak, but definitely leaking. I looked under the car and there was a small puddle of coolant, but seemed to be a pinhole leak somewhere. I was about 4 miles from the dealership so I hopped in and hoped engine temp would stay under control. Fortunately when I got to the dealership temp never even got maybe 15 degrees above normal. Dropped it off and got a ride to the house.

Next day dealership called and said bad news. They are still looking into it but appeared coolant was in the oil. Possible blown head gasket was the first thing that popped into my mind. I stopped at the dealership on the way home from work to get an update. Went in the back and noticed a white milky coating on the inside of the oil fill line. They are still working on it and hope to get some more info early next week, but seems that there could be a few things that could have caused it.

I've searched thru the forum and have been reluctant to find anything about a blown head gasket or anything similar. The only experience I have with this is a truck I had 25 years ago and when it happened it was blowing white smoke out the back. Realize the truck likely had water as coolant and the M5 uses something like glycol, but I was constantly looking in my rear view mirror to see if I could see anything out the back and didn't see anything. Also, seems like there is a oil level high warning light? I would think that if there was coolant in the oil it would have triggered this or just the foaming that would have probably been going on would have raised the oil level and tripped this warning? With the engine malfunction warning light on you can't pull the oil level indicator up (realize not very accurate and takes a while to leel out, but still might have been good to see any increase in level). In any case I haven't seen anything in the plethera of posts on this forum about anything similar. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

And saved the most unfortunate part for last.....I was in the process of getting a third party warranty. Bought the car a few months ago and warranty expired in December (right before I bought it). Had some quotes and was looking to find the best option, but had not pulled the trigger yet. Wish me luck.......

Mickey

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Do you have fire and theft on it??? Get it tow'd to the nearest sand pit...good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts