BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to make my M ride nice.
I read M-tech was similar to stock which is what I want but hard to find. Any ideas where to find them? and Bavarian Auto - Bavauto was similar as well, Which will provide a slightly lower look without creating a harsh ride? Looking for comfort and maybe a little sport. Right now its a harsh beast!
Thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts
Is it the stick SLS right now? Is the system healthy?

You say it is harsh, but IMO stock is too soft.

I have been happy with HR and Koni adjustables. I would avoid Bilstein Sports.

If you want to do it right, get coilovers. I wish I had from the get go.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which coilovers? I wish I knew which springs were in there. They are tightly wound and blue. I have old bilstiens amd they just feel wrong! Bouncy car right now

·
10,457 Posts
blue springs are probably dinan (which should be quite comfortable). Bilsteins are pretty stiff. Get a set of koni's. What's in the rear? Still sls? get new accumulators.

I had coil overs for about a year and hated it. But if i were doing it again i might try KW's, since they use stock rubber mounts. The ground control system uses all metal mounts, if you think you car is harsh now, try eliminating the rubber mounts.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Which coilovers? I wish I knew which springs were in there. They are tightly wound and blue. I have old bilstiens amd they just feel wrong! Bouncy car right now
I am not an authority on coilovers. Use google and you will find a lot of information on them.

If you end up getting shocks/struts, I would avoid Bilstein and get some Konis.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I had coil overs for about a year and hated it. But if i were doing it again i might try KW's, since they use stock rubber mounts. The ground control system uses all metal mounts, if you think you car is harsh now, try eliminating the rubber mounts.
The rubber in the stock upper shock mounts may help with noise and vibration a little, but if you had a bad ride I would say it is far more likely that the valving/spring rates on your coilovers were not set up well for what you wanted. I wouldn't blame the mounts.

·
10,457 Posts
The rubber in the stock upper shock mounts may help with noise and vibration a little, but if you had a bad ride I would say it is far more likely that the valving/spring rates on your coilovers were not set up well for what you wanted. I wouldn't blame the mounts.
the ride was fine. IIRC i had 425 / 350 front / rear spring rates, ground control coil overs. handling was great. I was very pleased with the combo of spring rate and the way the koni's performed.
It was the noise and harshness that i hated. The rubber mounts help with noise and harshness a lot. (which is probably why KW keeps them)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found out that my springs are Dinan so I got some Konis for the front. There are newer bilsteins on the back so this should be interesting. I also got all the bushings bearing plates and such. What's funny is I called Turner Motorsports to order Bilsteins and the salesman wouldn't sell them to me, he said they are just wrong for that car!

·
Registered
153 Posts
"Avoid like the plague" seems a bit strong. I've used the Bilstein/Eibach combo for 80,000 miles and have no complaints.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think two things, actually I know, a lowered bouncy car does not handle as well on a bumpy road and can actually be dangerous. It also kills the front end and mushrooms the strut towers. If you live in a place with nice roads Id say stiff suspension is fun! If not (like me) it is no fun.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I tried bilstein/HR in my 540i/6 that came with M tech originally. I found the fronts to be bottoming really hard, so I sent them to bilstein to be revalved, and when they came back they were actually quite good. I still wanted more firmness, so I went to the next step and ordered some Ground Control coilovers with 550 front and 400 rear springs. I tried to double the sport spring rates, which were tough to pin down as that info is hard to get. The best I could figure was the sport springs run like 275/200 lbs.
Anyways, the GC setup felt underdamped to me so I sent them back to GC for a revalve. They seem pretty good now, but you have to be going fast to make it work. I like them more and more as I have adjusted ride height, camber, toe and shock adjusters.
I have poly bushings and 850 front control arms with the spherical bearing instead of the e34 rubber bushing, so it's pretty tight.
I also did a new ps pump, steering box, front wheel bearings, and all the other hard parts too.

Would I recommend GC? Good question. I don't know. But I like my setup now. I do think properly revalved Bilsteins might be a great street setup with HR springs, but I was one more revalve away from perfection... And cheaper than GC which was like $2300.
Anyone in the eastern MA area could drive mine to see if that is what you want.
I am a suspension snob... If you have ever driven a 911 GT3 you will be hard pressed chasing that sort of perfection.

Reactions: E30isKing

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have Koni yellows with eibach springs and the ride is about an inch lower and is still smooth and feels factory..
(the PO had eibachs and bilsteins installed in 2002 but the bilstiens had failed so i replaced them with konis and it rides 100x better)

I live on the north coast of CA where the roads are windy and bumpy, my car now handles them with ease instead of being really bouncy like it was before i replaced the shocks

·
Registered
299 Posts
I tried bilstein/HR in my 540i/6 that came with M tech originally. I found the fronts to be bottoming really hard, so I sent them to bilstein to be revalved, and when they came back they were actually quite good. I still wanted more firmness, so I went to the next step and ordered some Ground Control coilovers with 550 front and 400 rear springs. I tried to double the sport spring rates, which were tough to pin down as that info is hard to get. The best I could figure was the sport springs run like 275/200 lbs.
Anyways, the GC setup felt underdamped to me so I sent them back to GC for a revalve. They seem pretty good now, but you have to be going fast to make it work. I like them more and more as I have adjusted ride height, camber, toe and shock adjusters.
I have poly bushings and 850 front control arms with the spherical bearing instead of the e34 rubber bushing, so it's pretty tight.
I also did a new ps pump, steering box, front wheel bearings, and all the other hard parts too.

Would I recommend GC? Good question. I don't know. But I like my setup now. I do think properly revalved Bilsteins might be a great street setup with HR springs, but I was one more revalve away from perfection... And cheaper than GC which was like $2300.
Anyone in the eastern MA area could drive mine to see if that is what you want.
I am a suspension snob... If you have ever driven a 911 GT3 you will be hard pressed chasing that sort of perfection.
Do you go by CarlfromBoston on bimmerforums? If so, I read your thread on the revalve of the Bilsteins. I almost went for it but ended up selling the car. Now I am in the same position and I don't know if I should have some used Bilsteins rebuilt or just go for the GCs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you have some bumpy roads and don't drive like you are racing, I think a Bilstein revolve could be very very good. But if you want to go to the limits of your grip and want a more race car-like feel... Then some sort of coil over is probably the way to go. You can go further with spring rates and really eliminate almost all body pitch and roll. That is how I wanted it and I like it. It's a German street weapon in a suit. Carl from boston yes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts