BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Looking for purchase a 2000 M5

958 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mfjp 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm new here and found this forum to be extremely helpful. I'm looking to purchase a 2000 M5 in Vancouver, Canada and am having a few wonders. Many of the questions I have had been answer, but I kinda have trouble sorting thru it.

1) What price am I expect to pay at the dealer?

2) What does the certified series do? Do I still need additional warranty as I heard fixing this car is expesnive.

3) What kind of known problems is on this car? What especially should I look out for and check before the purchase?

Thank you all and I hope to join all you guys soon.

Jay

#3 · (Edited)
Tell the salesman "You looka lika man"

#4 ·
mfjp said:
Hi All,

I'm new here and found this forum to be extremely helpful. I'm looking to purchase a 2000 M5 in Vancouver, Canada and am having a few wonders. Many of the questions I have had been answer, but I kinda have trouble sorting thru it.

2) What does the certified series do? Do I still need additional warranty as I heard fixing this car is expesnive.

3) What kind of known problems is on this car? What especially should I look out for and check before the purchase?

Jay
I may be in the market for a M5 in a few months. My current car is still running strong and I figure when the new M5 hits the streets, the old M5 will drop in price a little more. Some places that I did some research on was ebay and the BMW website. Ebay gives you a decent idea what private parties are selling them at. The BMW website explains what a certified warranty has and also you can search how much a certified M5 costs at the dealer. If I get an M5 I will buy it certified for sure. The problems that I found searching on this site was mainly clutch and vanos problems. Search around this site and you will everything you need. Good luck.

Scott

#5 ·
sshu930 said:
I may be in the market for a M5 in a few months. My current car is still running strong and I figure when the new M5 hits the streets, the old M5 will drop in price a little more. Some places that I did some research on was ebay and the BMW website. Ebay gives you a decent idea what private parties are selling them at. The BMW website explains what a certified warranty has and also you can search how much a certified M5 costs at the dealer. If I get an M5 I will buy it certified for sure. The problems that I found searching on this site was mainly clutch and vanos problems. Search around this site and you will everything you need. Good luck.

Scott
I understand the VANOS issues are cover by the warranty, but not the clutch, am I correct?

#6 ·
mfjp said:
Hi All,

Jay
Jay,

I don't know if you are steadfast in your intent on buying from a Canadian dealer. If you open to buying in the US, check out prices on autotrader.com and this Board. It should give you a good sense of the price spread. Personally, I would prefer to spend a little more money and get a later model car. Theoretically, the issues of the 2000 model year that have been well described on this Board have been largely worked out in the 2003 model year, for example.

CPO doesn't seem to mean a lot according to some of the more experienced people on the Board. I don't know about the coverage of an 'additional warranty'. I could see the merits of getting it, particularly if it gives you peace of mind.

Getting the car inspected by an independent mechanic is a good idea. There was a great, recent thread on this. Use the search function on the Board and you should be able to find it easily.

Good luck!

#7 ·
bksf said:
Jay,

I don't know if you are steadfast in your intent on buying from a Canadian dealer. If you open to buying in the US, check out prices on autotrader.com and this Board. It should give you a good sense of the price spread. Personally, I would prefer to spend a little more money and get a later model car. Theoretically, the issues of the 2000 model year that have been well described on this Board have been largely worked out in the 2003 model year, for example.

CPO doesn't seem to mean a lot according to some of the more experienced people on the Board. I don't know about the coverage of an 'additional warranty'. I could see the merits of getting it, particularly if it gives you peace of mind.

Getting the car inspected by an independent mechanic is a good idea. There was a great, recent thread on this. Use the search function on the Board and you should be able to find it easily.

Good luck!
How would I be able to import the Car though?

The problem is there is no later model for sale from Canadian dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.