BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to find a mechanic that is good enough to inspect an M5 I found at a stealership.
I asked the salesperson if they would allow me to have it inspected at a nearby BMW dealership and all I get is "Ï have to ask my manager, but he is busy at the moment."

So I figure bringing a mechanic will be the next best thing.
Since they might not allow the car to be lifted for a full inspection, I'd like someone who can do a good job and has the experience to know what to look and listen for.

I do know that the front bumper will need replacing, since it is cracked and a small piece is missing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I'm hoping to find a mechanic that is good enough to inspect an M5 I found at a stealership.
I asked the salesperson if they would allow me to have it inspected at a nearby BMW dealership and all I get is "Ï have to ask my manager, but he is busy at the moment."

So I figure bringing a mechanic will be the next best thing.
Since they might not allow the car to be lifted for a full inspection, I'd like someone who can do a good job and has the experience to know what to look and listen for.

I do know that the front bumper will need replacing, since it is cracked and a small piece is missing.

Thanks.
I'm in the Sacto area. I can give it a look-see if you'd like (NOT A PPI).

I can recommend valley motorworks:

Valley Motorwerks - VMWERKS - BMW / Mini Service, Repair, and Parts

Note: No mechanic will take 3 hours out of their schedule to go to a dealership and look at a car in the parking lot. It is a WASTE of your money and their time. Furthermore the dealer would not allow them to use their shop, lift, GT1, etc... the car has to go to the dealer.

One way to do it is remotely (have the dealer drive it over, have the shop go pick it up....you making arrangements from afar), another more common is to get set on the deal- you come in, take the car for a test drive (license, insurance documents, deposit) and take it for inspection- if OK, come back and buy it. If fail, you are out PPI cost and travel.

What dealer?

Feel free to PM me, if not give me your contact info in the thread- (I can erase it once I grab it.)

A

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
My contact info is [email protected]
I am sad that it looks like I missed out on PorscheTech's bluewater. If only I hadn't gotten busy at work, I would have been the first buyer :-(

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Yeah, heard about that... he went months with only lowballers, then literally two serious offers within a day. It is a very clean car.

Anyway, sent you an email... lets see what you found local

A

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I ended up getting the car sent to Niello BMW for the PPI.
Only a few items that were 'bad' mechanically that I was able to use to reduce the price.
However, I did learn that they seemed to focus on the mechanics.
Ard was kind enough to give me a call after my purchase and he described it correctly. Basically, the mechanics were looking for things that are not obvious to the average buyer.

So I missed finding the seat had the twisty back problem, but that was my fault. Just because I'm the primary driver doesn't mean I shouldn't sit in the passenger side during inspection.
On the way home, I also felt the clutch slipping, but I kind of expected that coming in. I also didn't expect the mechanic to find it, since I don't believe he was allowed to test drive it.

All in all, I'm happy with the purchase. Just peeved at the surprise of the twisty passenger seat.

First up, an Inspection II service at a recommended Indy so that I can get a nice list of items to work on.

I picked up Silver on Black. Titanium trim.
Now I hope that porschetech's sale goes through completely, or else I'll be contemplating owning two of these beasts, haha.

I still have an option to get an extended warranty through "Resource Automotive". I think it is administered via Motor Warranty Service of North America.
If anyone has experience with this company, please let me know via email ([email protected]) or post.

Yes, I've researched extended warranties on here, but most people talk about the one offered by BMW.
I figure if they are good enough, then I can get one and have the seat and mirror fixed through them.
I hope to avoid the standard "extended warranties are bad" responses, since I've had decent experiences with them with electronic devices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts