BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a porsche, but have never owned one so I don't know a lot about them. For starters, anyone have any advice on what year/model to look for with a budget of 45-50k? I do not want a convertible. Thanks

·
Registered
881 Posts
Wake Champ said:
I am looking for a porsche, but have never owned one so I don't know a lot about them. For starters, anyone have any advice on what year/model to look for with a budget of 45-50k? I do not want a convertible. Thanks
You would probably be best to look into buying a 1996-1998 993. These are considered by many to be the best overall line of air-cooled Porsches. Very reliable. I had no trouble in 18 months with my 1997 C2S. I think for the kind of money you quote, you should be able to find something nice; I'd look at the '97 year models first.

·
Registered
84 Posts
First, You will need to decide whether you want 993 (1998 is the last version which is water-cooled and a wider body style) or 996 (1998 - 2004, air-cooled, more aerodynamic, convertible resembles Boxster). They do have somewhat different looks, and each will appeal to different taste.

Once you have decided, you should be able pick a low mileage 993 or med-high mileage early 996 (1999 or 2000)

I have 2002 996, and I love it. Good Luck!
M5MAX:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. What is the difference in performance / horsepower between the 993 and the 996? How do they compare in speed to the M5?

·
Registered
881 Posts
M5Max,
You have it backwards: the 993's are air cooled, all of them; the 996's from 1999 model year on here in the States, are water cooled.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A 993 Carrera 3.6 has I believe 285 bhp stock, wheras a stock 996 3.4 has either 295 or 300 even, I am not sure. Although, the 993 is a smaller car than the 996 and is therefore lighter. The 996 was also the beginning of the "cheap" Porsches, together with the Boxster. As thebishman already pointed out, a 993 is really as trouble-free as you can get in a pre-996 Turbo 911. My father has owned one for a couple of years now and he has had not even a single issue, and he autocrosses it frequently!

The best value for money you could find would be a Carrera S or C4S. Widebody with the big brakes and over-engineered drivetrain will never let you down.

Compared to an M5 a naturally aspirated 993 will eat the M5's dust in acceleration by about 3 tenths of a second 0-60, but because of the weight of the M5, they are closely matched in cornering, with a wide-body (meaning wider track) 993 taking a very slight edge in overall corner capability.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Compared to teh M5, all 911s (993s or 996s) are low on torque. Thus you may find yourself wanting if you are used to cruising in 6th in the M5, yet still have instant-on acceleration.

However, drive a 993 with PSS9s in the twisties and you'll know why it is considered a step up from BMWs, even an M5. We will NEVER have that sports car 'feel' in our M5 no matter how you mod it. Unfortunately, we can quantity a lot of performance attributes, but we can't quantity 'feel'.

If you can stretch another $10k or so, you may be able to get a 993tt, which will be a step-up from our M5 in all performance aspects. However, it still only sits 2, and not as good a car for cross-country jaunts.

CP

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for correcting me thebishman. I must had a stroke.

I agree with above. 993 or 996 will not give you the torque as does M5 @ any gear or speed. Having said that, my 996 (320 hp and 2900 lbs) gives me enough thrill as does M5 (396 hp and 4100 lbs), especially when taking corners.
My porsche mechanic recommended either '96 or "97 996 C4S as "best", but I got 2002 because I didn't want to buy a car with unknown history.
FYI. 2002 Boxster was a "fun car".

I hope this helps.

M5MAX

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Raodbeef,

You live in Pfaffenhausen? That's the Mecca of all Porsche-philes, ala RUF head quarter. mmmmmm mmmmmm

Have you visited their place yet? One of these days, I need to come pay homage to Alois, Hans Lieb, and all the magicians that work there. I absolutely lovelove lovelove my 993 RUF BTR-2. You are a lucky soul.

CP

·
Registered
27 Posts
chunpng-

I go to the university at nearby Memmingen during three days out of the week, and otherwise live with my family in Pfaffenhausen and also work there at the Netto supermarket. As you may have guessed my major at the Uni is English, hehe. I have known about Ruf since my family moved here three years ago, but I have loved Porsche for a long time before that. I've only met Mr. Ruf once, at a Rotary dinner meeting in Bad Wörishofen. He's a very very nice man, and he drove a dark blue old 911 that day.

What is odd for me is that I read in car magazines like Evo and Excellence that Ruf, as you say, is a Mecca for Porsche nuts, but locally he is considered just another company... which I suppose is why he likes it so much out here in the middle of nowhere south Germany, nobody really bothers him I suppose.

Just kidding, I work at Ruf and am originally from California. Hehe :blink:
Sorry for pulling your leg but I just couldn't resist!

I am very happy to hear how much you love your BTR-2, that is actually my favorite type of Ruf, even more so than the CTR-2 just because the 993 BTR is so understated, yet so so fast!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
For a 1999, this is extremely high price. A local (Half Moon Bay, CA) Rennlist member, Joe Remos, is selling his 1999 996 for about $38k I believe. If interested, PM me and I'll get you Joe's contact information.

Joe is a great car guy, and really takes care of his cars. He is selling the Carrera as he just bought a 993 turbo.

With the $$$ you save, you can get some great mods. :)

Good luck.

CP

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. I am interested. You can have him send me a private message or whatever works. That link is the only porsche I have found that has appealed to me in my area. Anyone else have any contacts or ideas?? Can I get a turbo for that price range??

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Wake Champ said:
Yes. I am interested. You can have him send me a private message or whatever works. That link is the only porsche I have found that has appealed to me in my area. Anyone else have any contacts or ideas?? Can I get a turbo for that price range??
You have a PM. Also, tts will run you high $50ks minimum.

CP

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
RoadBeef said:
chunpng-

I go to the university at nearby Memmingen during three days out of the week, and otherwise live with my family in Pfaffenhausen and also work there at the Netto supermarket. As you may have guessed my major at the Uni is English, hehe. I have known about Ruf since my family moved here three years ago, but I have loved Porsche for a long time before that. I've only met Mr. Ruf once, at a Rotary dinner meeting in Bad Wörishofen. He's a very very nice man, and he drove a dark blue old 911 that day.

What is odd for me is that I read in car magazines like Evo and Excellence that Ruf, as you say, is a Mecca for Porsche nuts, but locally he is considered just another company... which I suppose is why he likes it so much out here in the middle of nowhere south Germany, nobody really bothers him I suppose.

Just kidding, I work at Ruf and am originally from California. Hehe :blink:
Sorry for pulling your leg but I just couldn't resist!

I am very happy to hear how much you love your BTR-2, that is actually my favorite type of Ruf, even more so than the CTR-2 just because the 993 BTR is so understated, yet so so fast!
Lol Tristan I thought i had been pming the wrong guy :byebye:

CP's BTR2 is one of the best 993's. It looks absolutely incredibe :wroom:

Hehehe :cheers: Not long till the 5th....pming you now

a

·
Registered
27 Posts
chunpng said:
Adam,

Thanks for the kind words. Tristen, for you, here's a few pics of my RUF.

Enjoy.

CP
:eek:oohhh: :eek:oohhh: ouich Holy cow that car is gorgeous!!

My father has a guards red 993 C4, and I always tell him he should put painted Ruf wheels on it. Your car's looks are proof positive that his chrome 17-inchers just aren't cutting it anymore :cheers:

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
RoadBeef said:
:eek:oohhh: :eek:oohhh: ouich Holy cow that car is gorgeous!!

My father has a guards red 993 C4, and I always tell him he should put painted Ruf wheels on it. Your car's looks are proof positive that his chrome 17-inchers just aren't cutting it anymore :cheers:
Definitely show him these pics. You folks have the advantage that you don't even have to pay shipping. :1: :1:

I highy recommend a RUF. It's cheaper in the long run because you won't long to buy another car ever again, unless you are Adam, that is.... hmmm hmmm

CP

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
chunpng said:
Definitely show him these pics. You folks have the advantage that you don't even have to pay shipping. :1: :1:

I highy recommend a RUF. It's cheaper in the long run because you won't long to buy another car ever again, unless you are Adam, that is.... hmmm hmmm

CP

:byebye:

CP when are you coming over to pfaffenhausen? In the new year perhaps? :wroom:

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Adam,

We went on our honeymoon in 1982, drove all over Bavaria, and surrounding areas. I love it so much I would love to come back for a second visit. Now I know about Pfaffenhausn and RUF that will be a mandatory stop for me. I don't know for sure if our European trip is 05 or 06. I will certainly keep you posted way ahead of time, when my wife and I decides.

CP

1 - 20 of 28 Posts