BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm in the Sunnyvale area. Any recommendations for experienced detailers that can do a proper paint correction and opti-coat?

Also, I plan on going for the paint correction myself in the mean time. I've actually done it once using a Porter Cable 7424 I think 4 years ago. wasn't patient enough and stored the pads and porter in a bucket and forgot about it. Just found it again and when inspecting the pads... they have some residual compounds but obviously super dry and dusty.

Question:

What should I do to these pads before trying to use them again?
Do polishing compounds expire?

I'm hoping I just have to clean them of the dust and go for it but looking forward to any insight into this. Thanks all!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Take your pads and throw them away. Not worth the risk, and pads are cheap anyway.

Get some Meguires Microfiber Cutting pads to amplify your cutting ability (Porter Cables are fairly anemic on tough BMW paint), and purchase some Optimum Hyper Polish (HP). Start with the MF pads and HP, then finish with some Hyper Polish on a soft polishing pad at lower speeds.

Keep your MF pads' fibers fluffed with compressed air or a brush.

Hyper Polish's abilities are directly related to the pad they are used on. On a rotary and wool pad it cuts quite well, whereas on a slow speed polishing pad on a DA it finishes exceptionally. It doesn't dust or gum up, nor will it stain your trim. Overall a very easy product to use!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Glad I asked. I have a friend who just purchased a Mercedes and his trunk has some hazing on the clear.
We think it was resprayed and just wasn't polished good enough.

I need to help him and we have a tight schedule, I see Pepboys carry some Meguiars pads. How are the pads and polish I can find there? I'll end up buying proper pads and polishes eventually but wanted to ask first.

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have no idea what your pep boys sells, get on Amazon, order the supplies mentioned, you will have it all by this weekend. If you have a tight schedule, I wouldn't take this on. Mercedes Benz paint is notoriously hard, rushing won't get you anywhere.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Thanks guys! Glad I asked. I have a friend who just purchased a Mercedes and his trunk has some hazing on the clear.
We think it was resprayed and just wasn't polished good enough.

I need to help him and we have a tight schedule, I see Pepboys carry some Meguiars pads. How are the pads and polish I can find there? I'll end up buying proper pads and polishes eventually but wanted to ask first.

Thanks again guys!
I've purchased all of my detailing supplies from Autogeek.net. They have tons of tips and a great informative forum just like this one. If you sign up with them, they send specials and codes to save money.

I haven't personally tried the Meguiars pads but you could do a search on Autogeek's forum. They're very honest and will say if the product is crap.

Make sure to test a small area before doing the whole trunk and start with the least aggressive products. Buy some painters tape and apply them to the edges of your panel. Those areas are prone to being damaged as the paint is very thin.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no idea what your pep boys sells, get on Amazon, order the supplies mentioned, you will have it all by this weekend. If you have a tight schedule, I wouldn't take this on. Mercedes Benz paint is notoriously hard, rushing won't get you anywhere.
They carry Meguiar products mainly. I completely understand the concerns. I'll test accordingly as others have mentioned! I'll try reporting back with my results.

Also, all the products, the pads, compounds, DA was purchased at auto geek. Great site, just overwhelming with all their products tbh.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so ended up following the advice from y'all and have purchased Chemical Guy's pad kit along with their V-Line polishes and compounds. I watched their buffing videos using these products so I felt a bit more comfortable using their products due to such great instruction... Hopefully I did alright :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Chemical guys is a great line too!

Autogeek does have a ton of stuff. I love that site though, it's very fun looking through everything. I bought a foam cannon from them and have yet to use it. So exciting!

By the way, there is a liquid cleaner for your microfiber towels thats good. I also throw in my wash mitts:

Wolfgang Microfiber Cleaner and Rejuvenator

A tip when washing your car; Use one wash mitt for the top half of your car (Mid door to roof) and one for the bottom half (Mid door to rocker panels). The bottom of the car has more dirt because it's closer to the ground. You can label or Sharpie which mitt is which. And spray down your vehicle with water only before using soap.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chemical guys is a great line too!

Autogeek does have a ton of stuff. I love that site though, it's very fun looking through everything. I bought a foam cannon from them and have yet to use it. So exciting!

By the way, there is a liquid cleaner for your microfiber towels thats good. I also throw in my wash mitts:

Wolfgang Microfiber Cleaner and Rejuvenator

A tip when washing your car; Use one wash mitt for the top half of your car (Mid door to roof) and one for the bottom half (Mid door to rocker panels). The bottom of the car has more dirt because it's closer to the ground. You can label or Sharpie which mitt is which. And spray down your vehicle with water only before using soap.
Awesome! Thanks for the tips. I've been using Chemical Guys waterless wash system which is so convenient. I'm in California where we have serious drought issues currently so this helps with the water ordinances recently put in for my city. Essentially waterless system with tons of microfiber towels. I'll look into the cleaner and glad you mentioned spraying the car down first before the soap. Is that due to getting rid of the dust?

I have a jet black as well and dust is something I was concerned about. Even with a waterless system, I sprayed the car first with water.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the tips. I've been using Chemical Guys waterless wash system which is so convenient. I'm in California where we have serious drought issues currently so this helps with the water ordinances recently put in for my city. Essentially waterless system with tons of microfiber towels. I'll look into the cleaner and glad you mentioned spraying the car down first before the soap. Is that due to getting rid of the dust?

I have a jet black as well and dust is something I was concerned about. Even with a waterless system, I sprayed the car first with water.
Just don't let your towels sit with dirt, although I have been known to do that... wash them right away. I have a old top loader that I drop my stuff in. If you use your machine for your clothing as well, you can do this to clean out old residue:

How to Clean Your {Top-Loader} Washing Machine - One Good Thing by Jillee

I'm obsessed with black cars. I just can't get away from them but you have to work to keep them glistening.

I don't know what the California restrictions are, but if you don't use a pressure washer, and you can use a garden hose, I use this:

As Seen on TV Water Jet : Target

I never buy as seen on tv stuff. My grocery store happened to be selling this wand but it proved to be very useful. It's not as strong as the ad says and you wouldn't want it to be if you love your car's paint. You can get the undercarriage, wheel arches, and other hard to reach spots. They sprayer is just good enough for pre-rinsing. I use the fan tip to blast off whatever I can before putting a mitt to it.

Oh, and there is a super cool technique to help you dry your car in less time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCeyTHyFbck

Here's some helpful information on washing:

Car Wash Guide, Car Wash how to - easy steps to shampoo and dry your vehicle using paint-safe mitts and towels, plus sponges, the Grit Guard and

I don't however recommend the squeegee for the car to dry it.

And, M5Board member Tiauguinho, one of the kings of detailing:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/159941-washing-claying-waxing-e39-m5-tutorial-tips-tricks.html

I've learned a lot from him. I wished his photos still worked. The man does magic!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
3 Participants
bmwluvr4evr
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing