BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want more power. So far I have the dinan chip. Should I consider removing the head and having some portwork done? Change chip? Get a quality header?

·
10,456 Posts
you already have a quality header. You'll see some increased midrange if you do the dinan / 3.8 cam gears. A different chip, like a confortti or d'sylvia might make a few more hp, they seem to 'feel' like there's a little more torque. Removing the catalyst will make a difference too, for track use...

I'd do a set of schrick cams before any headwork. If you do cams and can have someone custom tune the software you'll likely see some results.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I REALLY appreciate a straight forward answer. If I remove the catalyst will I have "check engine" codes. I will swap for the conforti chip right away. 250$ seems fair
How much are cam gears and cams?

·
10,456 Posts
you won't get a check engine light without the catalyst, though it's still illegal to remove it. Can't remember how much the cam gears cost. I did it several years ago on my US car, and it made a noticeable difference in mid range power, came on a little sooner in the rpm range.

For chips it's best to do all the other mods first then have a chip that will compensate for what you've done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will removing the cats make it much louder? Where can A guy find these parts. And who does the custom tuning. Thanks!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Probably wouldn't be a big jump, but what about deleting the secondary air pump and modifying the header so it doesn't have those runner things at the top? I'd jump on that, but I wonder whether it'd get snagged in visual inspection.

·
Registered
826 Posts
By deleting the air pump and erasing the pipes of the header at the begining of the flanges or ports won't make any noticeable power increase IMO. Get a drop in high flow filter a good chip (or test different performance chips) replace/erase the CAT with highwer flow unit or leave it empty (my car came from factory W/O CT and doesn't make any more exhaust noise) and be done. Don't mess anymore with the beauty of the S38 unless you want to get some trade off while going wilder for mods.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By deleting the air pump and erasing the pipes of the header at the begining of the flanges or ports won't make any noticeable power increase IMO. Get a drop in high flow filter a good chip (or test different performance chips) replace/erase the CAT with highwer flow unit or leave it empty (my car came from factory W/O CT and doesn't make any more exhaust noise) and be done. Don't mess anymore with the beauty of the S38 unless you want to get some trade off while going wilder for mods.
Really good advice. Thank goodness no lights come on when the cats are out of the bag. I will plug in a conforti chip from Turner and see if its better than the dinan. I'll get a K&N filter panel filter just for kicks. I have 183,000 on it now but you would never know it. When the head needs work I will fill it w goodies, my best friend is a cyl head machinist.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Really good advice. Thank goodness no lights come on when the cats are out of the bag. I will plug in a conforti chip from Turner and see if its better than the dinan. I'll get a K&N filter panel filter just for kicks. I have 183,000 on it now but you would never know it. When the head needs work I will fill it w goodies, my best friend is a cyl head machinist.
I'm not a big fan of K&N filters. The oil from them tends to spoil the wire in the MAF.

Do not run a Turner/Conforti chip if you don't have access to 93oct. It will ping on 91. Been there done that, on the first engine.

Cam gear will give you more torque at 3k and up but you will lose a bit from 6k up.

Cams are your best bet, but you'll need to find someone capable of tuning the car for them.

My advice? At 183k some ponies have gotten out of the corral. Refresh the head and HG. De-carbonize the piston crowns. Chip, de-CAT, new o2 sensor, new fuel filter, valve adjust, vacuum lines and plugs and make sure your MAF is in proper spec.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gosh ok. I'll leave in the Dinan chip. What plugs should I grab. Im gonna call in a parts order. I'll check the pistons with my little camera on a wire thingy and start w a valve adjustment. I just sprayed air mass cleaner in the sensor. Where can I get the vacuum lines.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Gosh ok. I'll leave in the Dinan chip. What plugs should I grab. Im gonna call in a parts order. I'll check the pistons with my little camera on a wire thingy and start w a valve adjustment. I just sprayed air mass cleaner in the sensor. Where can I get the vacuum lines.

If your MAF is the original from factory at this age and millage is out of it's capabilties by this time. I would send it to Injection labs to get it rebuilded with new hot wire and service it. MAFs are very sensitive in performance output of the engine. It's worth the rebuild on there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If your MAF is the original from factory at this age and millage is out of it's capabilties by this time. I would send it to Injection labs to get it rebuilded with new hot wire and service it. MAFs are very sensitive in performance output of the engine. It's worth the rebuild on there.
I'll contact injection labs. Can I get the parts? Where? Thanks

·
Registered
758 Posts
Use only stock plugs. BOSCH Y6DC. Visit BMAparts.com. I deal with Patrick. Great guy and familiar with our cars.

A pre-cut silicone vacuum line kit is available for our cars at Hiperformancestore.com. Small mom and pop place in the Midwest somewhere. Good product.

Get an O2 (you'll notice a huge difference) on Amazon. They're like... $60 there.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Use only stock plugs. BOSCH Y6DC. Visit BMAparts.com. I deal with Patrick. Great guy and familiar with our cars.

A pre-cut silicone vacuum line kit is available for our cars at Hiperformancestore.com. Small mom and pop place in the Midwest somewhere. Good product.

Get an O2 (you'll notice a huge difference) on Amazon. They're like... $60 there.

Does a brand new oxigen sensor change that "great" the behavior of the car in performance (not talking about fuel comsuption) even when the 02 snsors take place in closed loop situations? My car as stated before didn't come with CAT from factory as well didn't come with 02 sensor, ther eis a OEM plug in the wiring loom/connecot of the 02 sensor instead, to "bridge" the signal I think. However I went ahead and purchased a brand new 02 oxigen sensor to retrofit it but that will happen tomorrow. I will scan Modic my car before and after and see if my AFR gauge will vary a bit after installation, sure will monitore the behavior of the engine once installed.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Get everything as it should be. Valve clearances, plugs, air filter, vacuum lines, MAF & 02 sensors for a start. Also check the distributor cap, rotor arm and leads, if they are more than 80k miles old they will likely need replacing.

Once you've done all that consider chips/head work and all that but you will need to spend a lot of money for fairly minimal gains.

BMW Motorsport delivered the car pretty much maxed out if you wanted it to be reliable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds good. Our shop mechanic says to leave the MAF alone if it runs good. Is there any way to test it to see if its doing its job? Im an auto body guy, im shooting a fresh coat of black on her in a couple weeks. I'll post pics.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Sounds good. Our shop mechanic says to leave the MAF alone if it runs good. Is there any way to test it to see if its doing its job? Im an auto body guy, im shooting a fresh coat of black on her in a couple weeks. I'll post pics.

Most greasy techs doesn't know much more than change a battery/oil in cars from what I have seen. So if "it's working" why touch it!? Most of the time is true, but sometimes when it's working it doesn't mean is working like it should, you have to go deeper and double check if the systems and components are working in top condition.

MAF wear won't throw a cel most of the time, they just wear and need replacement or a good clean (sometimes a good clean doesn't fix it but improove the performance of the MAF).

At that millage, I would send it to get it rebuild just for the sake to have it FRESH (or if you can buy a new one, better) a essential part of the engine operation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, are you really in Peru? Is there an outfit who sells rebuilt ones or new for a decent price? I heard a rumor BMW wants 1400 for one. I called that place you recommended for MAF rebuilds but no answer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts