BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am a proud E60 M5 owner, but not the best with a wrench. Hoping for a bit of help in figuring out where to go in my quest to get my vehicle rolling again.

My vehicle is a 2006 model, a daily driver with approx 165k miles on it. Engine rebuild was done last year, being driven only about 1-1/2 months until she went down again with leaking trans cooler and lines.
Once that was fixed, I experienced the Red Cog of Death - SMG pump motor failure. While waiting to get the replacement motor and for weather in which we could reasonably work, the battery went dead. I replaced the battery (coded it, too).
Removed the battery so it wouldn't die again, then replaced it after R&R of motor.

Now, after replacing the SMG pump motor, the shifter will move from R to 2, but not up/down from 2 to 1 or 3-7.
The engine will spin over, but will not start. It sounds like it is spinning over too easily.

OBD still shows the following codes:

27a0 2720 2796 2722 cf25 cf26 cf28 cf29 cf27 cf2a cf2b cf0b 520a 4fa0

Tried resetting the codes, but they keep showing up.

Please, can anyone shed some light as to what might be the issue? Is it necessary to re-code the same battery if it was disconnected from the car? Could that be the reason the codes will not reset?

Any ideas why the engine will not crank? I have verified the fuel pumps are running and pumping fuel.

Is it possible for the ECU(DME) to lose programming if the electrical system had no power for several weeks?

I am out of options, and have no indie shop near that knows anything about the E60 M5. Even the so-called 'expert' has not ever worked on one besides mine.

Any tips on how to check ECU function? I have INPA but it is German version only and very confusing to me...
Thanks in advance for humoring me. Any help you can give is sincerely appreciated.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Keep the battery in the car with a trickle charger if necessary.
Clear the codes.
Does the engine turn over or not? You state both in your thread.
Replace the SMG pump relay.
Use INPA to both observe the pressure and bleed the system. If you don't hear a distinct pump noise when you test the coupling is probably bound up. Go to the DIY section and you will find a great write up on the SMG motor replacement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alan,
First of all, thanks for your input.

Now, to clarify present situation:
SMG pump motor has been replaced. After replacing motor, gear shift lever was able to move from R to N and 2, but not up/down to any other gear.
INPA was unable to clear codes, also tried with Snap-On diagnostics at indie shop
Engine will turn over, but does not fire at all. Seems like not much compression - possibly because no fuel?
SMG pump relay is new, replaced at same time as motor.
When powering on vehicle and sometimes when shifting SMG, can hear motor pump noise. Seems normal.

Battery is still in car, now being charged as it went dead again.
Can anyone translate where the test/bleed procedure is listed in the German INPA ? Is there any way to read fuel pressure/diagnostics for fuel pump as well?
Would rather do that before R&R of fuel pump/filter if possible.

I have always found INPA to be difficult to understand (being non-German speaking). I will try to find either an English version or possibly something newer that will work for me....

Thanks again, especially for being tolerant of my ramblings... :)

·
1,834 Posts
Sounds like someone has been messing up with inpa too much. Either this:

Or this:

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you are in the SMG computer and reading codes and it does not reset them start there. If you are in the DME and reading codes start there. If the engine is cranking the SMG has pressure, is in neutral and satisfied the DME. If the EWS is not satisfied the engine will not crank. The handshake can be looked at in the DME or EWS. If you suspect the fuel pump pop the rear seat out and have a listen. flacormos will point you there as well, he is the expert on the filter killing the pump and injectors. You can translate the codes in German with google.

INPA is a powerful tool that has limited ability to screw things up. Yes it is hard to read but the more you use it the more you will like it. It is the only software I have used and it never lets me down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried to register the battery, and clear error codes but failed on both -received this error:
ERROR_ECU_CONDITIONS_NOT_CORRECT_OR_REQUEST_SEQUENCE_ERROR

Does this mean my ECU needs to be reprogrammed?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts