BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 needs front brakes... it sounds like it's down to metal, but the wear indicator never went off.

I can take it to my local dealer (Herb Chambers), but I'm afraid they'll charge me a boatload for a brake job.

What is one to expect a standard brake job to cost these days?

thanks.
-Hank

·
Registered
193 Posts
My 2002 needs front brakes... it sounds like it's down to metal, but the wear indicator never went off.

I can take it to my local dealer (Herb Chambers), but I'm afraid they'll charge me a boatload for a brake job.

thanks.
-Hank
Herb Chambers blows...try giving Lou's Custom Exhaust in Worcester a call, I'm getting my Akebono's done there this Friday morning.

·
Registered
938 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I performed mine recently (including OEM rotors & Dave Z Axxis pads)- piece of cake if you're even partially mechanically inclined.
If rotors are in very good shape, I'd purchase front & rear pads (Deluxe Advanced)

If rotors are questionable, pick up a set to go with those new pads :)
Lemme know if you want help/ PM me... Vic

FYI & to echo others - I hear AE in Lexington is great...

thanks.
-Hank

·
Registered
30 Posts
I second Auto Engineering in Lexington. Chip is the one to see. Very professional.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Autobahn in Lexington it is. They quoted me $877 for pads, rotors, and sensors for the front brakes.

I can feel the back of the front right rotor is badly scored... I don't know how that happened unless the sensor failed.

Thanks for the recommendation.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Front brake job is now complete -- out the door for $912. :eek:oohhh:

But my rear brake pads are at 5mm (another $900) and they tell me my clutch is slipping ($1400).

I know what a slipping clutch feels like, and I still can't feel it. But Chip did say "you won't feel it if you 'baby it'". I guess I baby my clutch, so it's got a little life left! Even when I pound on it, it's not slipping. It is a little "soft" when starting from a stop, but not slippage territory (IMHO).

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
So, what are they quoting you in that $1,400 price?
Disk, pressure plate 'and' flywheel?

Vic

Front brake job is now complete -- out the door for $912. :eek:oohhh:

But my rear brake pads are at 5mm (another $900) and they tell me my clutch is slipping ($1400).

I know what a slipping clutch feels like, and I still can't feel it. But Chip did say "you won't feel it if you 'baby it'". I guess I baby my clutch, so it's got a little life left! Even when I pound on it, it's not slipping. It is a little "soft" when starting from a stop, but not slippage territory (IMHO).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts