BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to have a brand new 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8 shipped from Langhorn, PA to Las Vegas. I would like to have it shipped on a covered transport so it arrives looking as fresh as it started the trip. Does anyone have any personal experience with any of the transport services that use covered trucks?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
A friend of mine had his E55 shipped from Maryland to AI Design in NY to have some work done. The company he used had to push him back a week because they were busy with the NY auto show and shipping Porsche CGT's around. I seem to remember him saying that they were Porsche's exclusive carrier for the CGT. So, I guess they're good!! Seriously, my buddy said they were meticulous and would not use anyone else if he had to move his car again. I've already left him a v-mail to get the name. I'll post it as soon as he calls me back.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Intercity Lines....look no further, but it's EXPENSIVE.....for the money you save with open transport, you can pay for a 2 nice detail jobs...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Dave,

I used Horseless Carriage last year to ship a 1995 M3 LTW race car from Fresno, CA to Chicago. I was very satisfied with the service and the adherance to promised pick-up and delivery dates/times. They are only aittle more expensive than mom & pop delivery services, and have a deserved great reputation. Check their web site and then call them. They will want a certified or cashier's check on delivery.

Regards, Dick Roberts

·
Registered
540 Posts
RRoberts said:
Dave,

I used Horseless Carriage last year to ship a 1995 M3 LTW race car from Fresno, CA to Chicago. I was very satisfied with the service and the adherance to promised pick-up and delivery dates/times. They are only aittle more expensive than mom & pop delivery services, and have a deserved great reputation. Check their web site and then call them. They will want a certified or cashier's check on delivery.

Regards, Dick Roberts
I second the horseless carriage. Whoever you choose, ask for the top bunk. Eliminates any drips or leaks from other cars above you.

good luck

al

·
Registered
252 Posts
I used Horseless Carriage from PA to AZ and were very happy with them. Have heard good things asbout Intercity as well but have never used them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
I need to have a brand new 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8 shipped from Langhorn, PA to Las Vegas. I would like to have it shipped on a covered transport so it arrives looking as fresh as it started the trip. Does anyone have any personal experience with any of the transport services that use covered trucks?

Thanks!!
Poor dispatcher service from Intercity. They were unable to give me clear timeframe of pick-up and were inflexible for delivery. My e-mail to their CEO was entirely ignored.

On the bright side, the drivers were terrific. They seemed to deliver the car w/ great care.

If you use Intercity, make sure to get firm commitments for pick-up and delivery.

·
Registered
122 Posts
www.movinmusclecars.com
I use this company exclusively and never had a problem or concern with them. They can do anywhere from a covered single car transport to an open 12 car transport. Very good attention to personal service with updates along the entire route and very accomodating.
Don runs a clean shift...

·
Registered
11 Posts
We use Reliable to ship prototype vehicles to and from shows and test sites. They have transports from Detroit to California on a regular basis - if they have something in the area they would be a good choice.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Dave, I'd look into Horseless Carriage, especially since they are close to you, Paterson, N.J. They have a top notch operation. Paterson police do their off hours security, and so I've been at their facility dozens of times over the years. Man...... the cars they put into their storage building are mouth watering to say the least!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Dave-

I used Passport when I had the M shipped from Spartenburg to NY back in Jan '03. I was mostly happy with them, but I learned a couple things along the way.

First, it's not uncommon on long hauls for vehicles to be moved out of one trailer, and into another-- some times in a warehouse for the night, I was told. You can request that there be "no transfers", and they will honor the request. The other thing, is that you want your car to go in first-- preferrable on top (so nothing could fall on it). Cars that are not in first have to be jockeyed in/out of the trailer so the one ahead of it can be backed out. That's where damage can occur. In fact, I know a guy who had his antique Rolls almost fall out of the truck while it was being "jockeyed"--- only to be saved by the military-strength battery box!!

Lastly, are the tie-down methods. You want the carrier to use tie-downs over the tires only--- and nothing through the wheels. And for obvious reasons, nothing through the suspension (but you know that). Most will also use some kind of protectant over the car, and on the seats-- lightweight plastic drop-cloth kind of thing.

Good luck, and have fun in Sin City....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Everyone i know would recommend Horseless Carriage since they handle exotics all the time. I ended up using Fred Koller (http://www.concourstransport.com) to transport a Ferrari from CA to VA. oh man he was awesome. he was extremely flexible. i had pretty small windows of operation and he was able to pick up within the hour i needed and was able to get it cross country within 5 days for my bday. (no flames.. my gift to myself). Fred (driver) called me throughout his trip, keeping me uptodate on his progress.

of course i probably got extremely lucky and fit his schedule exactly. but still, i didn't have to have a 14 day leeway upon pickup and delivery. i was very anxious. :)

James

·
Registered
428 Posts
Dave..........do not use the guys from Chicago......sorry but I can't remember the name. They transported my Sprite from Indiana under a 56 Ford and just threw some used polyethylene over my car to catch the oil drips........Joe

·
Registered
377 Posts
DZeckhausen said:

Thanks!!
I had a 1969 MB 280SL shipped from Burlingame, Ca to Allamuchy, NJ for $1500 by Horseless Carrige. Absolutely no problems.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just make sure you verify who is an actual carrier and who is merely a broker, Dave. When I bought my M5 I could have saved a few hundred and improved communication on the whereabouts of my car and delivery of it had I not gone through a broker who then turned me over to the carrier.

·
Registered
205 Posts
DZeckhausen said:

Thanks!!
Dave: I used Reliable Carriers (www.reliable-carriers.com) to transport my 2000 M5 from Atlanta to California earlier this year. The attached photos show that they really know how to load and transport high-value cars.

I canvassed all the major covered carriers (Passport, Horseless Carriage, Reliable, Intercity, Dependable, etc) and found Reliable to be the best. There is also a wide variation in price among the various companies, so it pays to shop around. The other thing that varies is their ability and willingness to work with your shipping date. Some of them won't guarantee to pick up the car when you need it. I found Reliable to be very good about scheduling on both ends.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have used Passport, InterCity, Horseless Carriage, and a few private guys. never had any problems with any of them as far as cars go, though one did damage my Indian Motorcycle slightly - the big tractor trailer rigs just aren't set up well to deal with motorcycles, so I will get a specialized one next time. Whomever you pick, I doubt you will have any problems.

BTW, what is a chrysler 300? ;) A mini-van? .

Steve

·
Registered
45 Posts
DZeckhausen said:

Thanks!!
Year Round Transportation does a great job - beautiful equipment too. 1-800-784-7951

·
Registered
225 Posts
This was an extremely helpful post I found in my search....
Wanted to check to see if there are any new reportable experiences with auto transporters (good or bad) in the year and a half or so that has passed since this thread was last alive?

Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
intercity ++

from florida to the bay area, driver called before the pickup, called after he inspected the car, gave me an eta and his number, spoke a couple of times on the trek across the us, car was well taken care of in terms of packaging, covers etc.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts