BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to get new brakes/rotors in a couple of months. i'm looking for feedback to point me in the right direction. there seems to be a couple of good ones on ebay with the diamond cut/zinc plated. have also herd that the left front is a little tricky because of the sensor?? what does the board have to say??? thanks

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Don't waste you money on ebay crap in terms of 'high performance rotors'... Skip drilled rotors in any form. Slots or just plan rotors.

Go to zeckhausen.com, great source for brake components

A

·
Registered
404 Posts
my first recomendation is to replace with factory bmw parts.
If you want to drop a few lbs, get the M5 euro spec rotors.

If the above does not satisfy your need to braking performance, upgrade the lines to SS braded teflon lines, and upgrade the pads to something more aggressive. There are several great posts on pad recomendation ( Use the search function).

If at this stage you are getting brake fade, you can upgrade your backing plates to Ti backing plates. ( motul 600 is a great fluid BTW)

Now if the above still cannot slow the beast down the way you want, then look into a BBK.

Now if you have the cash and simply want the best looking and performing brakes, go with a Stoptech or brembo BBK.

Edit note: THe brake pad sensors are not tricky in the slightest. If you have the correct pads, the sensor, which is a wire running through a rubber slug, simply pop into place at the rear of the pad.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Don't waste you money on ebay crap in terms of 'high performance rotors'... Skip drilled rotors in any form. Slots or just plan rotors.

Go to zeckhausen.com, great source for brake components

A
I second that. I had to get front rotors to pass inspection back in May. Here is what I got from zeckhausen and have been very happy:

1 x StopTech Street Performance brake pads - front (D681) [1 box req
1 x Power Slot slotted front rotor 345x32mm, Right
1 x Power Slot slotted front rotor 345x32mm, Left
1 x StopTech Street Performance brake pads - rear (D683) [1 box requ
1 x Brake pad wear sensor for BMW - Front
4 x M8x12mm rotor retaining screw w/5mm Allen head (2 required per

Dave is a good man to deal with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check out:

RockAuto Parts Catalog

I have not gotten BMW rotors from them yet, but have gotten some rotors for my C6 and they were decent.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Anyone know what happened to Zeckhausen? I tried to get onto his site today and Network solutions says the domain is expired! Only place I knew to get cross-drilled Centric rotors for the e39 M5. :crying:

Update: I got the wrong address. Zeckhausenracing.com is indeen expired, but the current site is http://www.zeckhausen.com/products.htm.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used them on my 01 Z06 Vette for a few driving school lapping days. Had the high temp ones (greens or reds, not sure which was which), and honestly they did not last anywhere near as long as Hawk, PBR's or Porterfield R4 race pads did, but this may have changed, and at the time the EBC pads were pretty new to the market. I have not, however, used them since. Good stopping power, but not good life.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Anyone know what happened to Zeckhausen? I tried to get onto his site today and Network solutions says the domain is expired! Only place I knew to get cross-drilled Centric rotors for the e39 M5. :crying:

Update: I got the wrong address. Zeckhausenracing.com is indeed expired, but the current site is http://www.zeckhausen.com/.
Further update. Not sure which end the problem's on, but I contacted Dave and the main site Zeckhausen Racing was down for a couple days. Dave has now fixed that. I'm still getting HTTP 501 messages when using IE 8 to try to access his e-commerce site http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog//, but I can access it via Apple's Safari browser. It's possible that problem is on my end, but if you have trouble accessing Dave's e-commerce site, please contact Dave so he can get it fixed, and in the meantime it looks like you can get to that site using a Safari browser.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've had euro floating rotors (from Turner) and Axxess Deluxe pads (from Zeckhausen) for a few years and love them. Great performance and very low dust.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Works OK with IE8 for me.
Turns out some of the problems were something funky with my brower on my end. Anyway, I'm relieved, because as far as I know, Dave's is the only place where you can easily get cross-drilled rotors for the e39 M5 (made by StopTech). Zeckhausen Racing

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
do those offer any benefit or are they just for looks?
Mostly for looks, I'll admit. But in theory there is some benefit. They also have slotted rotors and slotted and drilled.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts