BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've been reviewing a lot of posts on people's dissatisfaction with the F10 M5's exhaust note (and volume of it)--I'm in that club. Even with my 2015 M5 w/CP it's still just lackluster.

I'm wondering what folks have done to address this and how they've struck a good balance between not spending $8,000 on an entire replacement exhaust system (it's a lease and I just can't bring myself to drop that kind of cash on it) yet managing to achieve what they set out to (for me: a better rasp, a growl even at idle... louder... and consistent because mine is sooooo variable).

I don't want to "see" the change either, i.e. I'm not looking for visibly over-sized XYZ-branded tips that come as part of a muffler replacement that just look plain wrong (the one offering I've seen from Turner, for example, that sounds great and meets my idea of a reasonable price has tips that look like they were stolen from the wind-section of an orchestra).

So, any first-hand experience/consensus/guidance here?

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi guys,

I've been reviewing a lot of posts on people's dissatisfaction with the F10 M5's exhaust note (and volume of it)--I'm in that club. Even with my 2015 M5 w/CP it's still just lackluster.

I'm wondering what folks have done to address this and how they've struck a good balance between not spending $8,000 on an entire replacement exhaust system (it's a lease and I just can't bring myself to drop that kind of cash on it) yet managing to achieve what they set out to (for me: a better rasp, a growl even at idle... louder... and consistent because mine is sooooo variable).

I don't want to "see" the change either, i.e. I'm not looking for visibly over-sized XYZ-branded tips that come as part of a muffler replacement that just look plain wrong (the one offering I've seen from Turner, for example, that sounds great and meets my idea of a reasonable price has tips that look like they were stolen from the wind-section of an orchestra).

Thanks!
Go RPI. $3600 and great sound. Love their exhausts.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go RPI. $3600 and great sound. Love their exhausts.
Thanks. You have one on your 550 I presume? I had 2 550xDrives before my M5--loved them both (especially being able to floor-it from a standstill while making a left or a right--doing that now causes me to make a much bigger left or right than optimal :0). The exhaust note on both of those cars was subdued to say the least--what did the RPI retrofit do to it? Do you have a video?

I'll go take a look at their offerings and reviews...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks!
I do not have an aftermarket exhaust because mine is a lease. But I have heard their exhausts on many BMW models and they are awesome.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks!

I have an Akrapovic exhaust. Pricey to be sure, but on an otherwise stock 2014 F10 CP it made 591 RWHP at Timmayfest 2014. Sounds pretty good too.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an Akrapovic exhaust. Pricey to be sure, but on an otherwise stock 2014 F10 CP it made 591 RWHP at Timmayfest 2014. Sounds pretty good too.
591 -> rear-wheel <- horsepower with just the exhaust? That's impressive... but it should be for $8,000 :0)

Thanks for the info--I'd already looked at it because of its popularity but this is a lease and that's a chunk-o'-change to drop on something that I'll later have to deal with or lose.

I was more thinking about axle-back muffler replacement...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
You need a better exhaust note? That's an easy one. For starters, you need 2 extra cylinders ;)

Jokes aside, Akra make a good system. Sounds great too.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You need a better exhaust note? That's an easy one. For starters, you need 2 extra cylinders ;)

Jokes aside, Akra make a good system. Sounds great too.
Ah, I see--you misunderstand; BMW didn't take anything away, they simply switched 2 cylinders for 2 turbos when they realized it gave you GOBS MORE power :0) They later concluded that an upgraded sound system also proved necessary if you get my drift... sigh.

Anyhoo, I've decided on the Turner option--I've heard one in the flesh now and it's superb; add great value, good looking and removable to that mix and I'm a happy customer.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Glad to hear! Enjoy it. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I haven't even had my M5 delivered yet and I was already thinking about this same thing. It must be a disease or something like drug addiction. I have heard first hand though, Akra, Eisenmann and Meisterschaft and I like them. Personally, I thought Meisterschaft sounded the best, but was warned that their business practices for some reason were suspect, but I don't know why. I guess some history I don't know about. I personally have no idea whether that's a concern. I think I want something that's not made yet. I want a sound like furies released from hell when I'm at full throttle, but yet don't want drone cruising since I'm getting the car for other reasons than when I bought my M3. Most people say that Akra is the only one that doesn't drone, but yes, pretty expensive. For now, I've hedged and will likely get the Exhaustmeister, lol. If I was 20-30yo, I'd get the RPi exhaust and catless downpipes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks!
I just sold my 2012 M5 and waiting for my new car.
I have the RPI GTM EXHAUST, and hands down it's the best
Sounding Exhaust on the market.
My friends have the Akropovic and Meistershaft and they don't come close.
I am selling it along with front and side black grills.
Best serious offer gets them.
Please don't comment if you have not heared this exhaust In Person, it's a Monster.

In fact I will get the same exhaust for my new car the 2015 M6 Gran Coupe, even tought it's has the Akropovic/M exhaust.
I live in Canada, if you were here I would do a satisfaction Garanteed that's how confident I am.
Sorry about any spelling mistakes.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
// UPDATE

The Turner exhaust is installed. It's... well, LOUD to say the least. In fact, it's borderline too loud too much of the time. However, that said, the pros so far outweigh the cons because when you want the growl... the pops... the V8 roar, it does that now and it sounds like a pissed off tiger. The cons are the drone at 1800rpm... and the fact that the car quite literally feels "rougher", less-refined somehow. As I said, though, it's something I need to let sit for a while and see how it affects my daily drive or family outings.

I'll take a video and try and get some decent sound samples shortly.

Short story: I'm massively happy with it when I want to bark back at a Mustang or a Vette or even a Subaru with aftermarket exhausts but I'm not a fan of the inability to dull the noise when driving is a means to an end, i.e. I want to get somewhere and use a portion of my brain to think about something other than driving--with this exhaust, that's a tough proposition now but I suspect I'll land on the "happy" side of this equation.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
// UPDATE

The Turner exhaust is installed. It's... well, LOUD to say the least. In fact, it's borderline too loud too much of the time. However, that said, the pros so far outweigh the cons because when you want the growl... the pops... the V8 roar, it does that now and it sounds like a pissed off tiger. The cons are the drone at 1800rpm... and the fact that the car quite literally feels "rougher", less-refined somehow. As I said, though, it's something I need to let sit for a while and see how it affects my daily drive or family outings.

I'll take a video and try and get some decent sound samples shortly.

Short story: I'm massively happy with it when I want to bark back at a Mustang or a Vette or even a Subaru with aftermarket exhausts but I'm not a fan of the inability to dull the noise when driving is a means to an end, i.e. I want to get somewhere and use a portion of my brain to think about something other than driving--with this exhaust, that's a tough proposition now but I suspect I'll land on the "happy" side of this equation.
As promised, here's a quick video from cold start through regular idle: http://youtu.be/IILCxItsecQ

·
Registered
56 Posts
As promised, here's a quick video from cold start through regular idle
I like it, sounds great at idle. Must sound like a screaming banshee when you get on it! Where did you get it installed?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like it, sounds great at idle. Must sound like a screaming banshee when you get on it! Where did you get it installed?
Benchmark Motoring in Bellevue.

It does sound great. Shifts down are a joy as are fast upshifts. Anything above 4K rpm is rocket-ship loud and mean--love it!

My lingering problem with it is that I chose an M5 because of its split personality: it's one half "a family 4-door, 5-seater sedan" and the other half (with the push of a carefully programmed M button) "an insane 600+ HP monster out to kill you"--I love that combination. But the problem is that this exhaust doesn't allow me to have the former: there are times when I don't want to drive past a group of people and have everyone's head turn in disgust to look at the kid in the souped-up Mustang only to find a middle-aged man in an M5 with a bag over his head.

I'm toying with the idea of exploring options to calm it down. My primary problem is coasting--it resonates to the point of deafening when coasting in nearly all gears. So much so in fact that I can feel the sound in my seat which makes the car feel likes it's running "rough".

I'll probably give Turner a call on Monday and see what's what...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Benchmark Motoring in Bellevue...
Thanks. I was looking at them or CNC to get some things done like springs and exhaust if I decide on them. I agree with you're other points too, it's a dilemma. Otherwise I'd probably just get the RPI exhaust and some downpipes. I decided to stick with the comp exhaust at first and get an exhaustmeister.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts