BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi group,

Due to an extremely unfortunate event with an old friend, I've got a chance to buy an 07 m6 from his estate. Very bitter sweet and more so since I was the one who talked him into buying the M6.

I'm trying to figure out what the value is on this beast and come up with something that is fair to the family and myself.

It's an 07 M6 coupe with 52k miles, SMG transmission. We have little history on the car as it was purchased about 4 months ago from a dealer in Chicago. Purchase price was $34k and had 49k miles at the time it was driven off the lot. Exterior and interior are in extremely good condition, with just a few very minor dings here and there. Almost immaculate in my book. The engine certainly feels strong, but not much to compare it to since it's certainly the fastest thing I've ever driven! It's 3k past-due on the last oil change (I'm assuming 13k on the current oil), which is a little scary given the S85 bearing issues. There might be a small clunk in the rear when shifting, but hard to know for sure since the SMG shifts so hard when you have the pedal down. It needs brakes and rotors all around and the tires are almost shot. The only other thing wrong is that a DBC malfunction periodically pops up and later clears. After reading codes with INPA and doing a little research, it looks like it needs an ABS pump and maybe the steering sensor too. I'm competent in the garage and might be able to tackle those myself.

For comparison, there's a local M6 on craigslist that looks really good. 07 M6, 18k miles, manual trans, and full aftermarket warranty at $35.5k.
Pretty dang good! Probably safe to say that this one won't need tires, breaks, no SMG issues, and the motor is even covered. Might be a hot deal for someone lurking on this forum!

2007 BMW M6 Coupe

So with just thinking out-loud, can anyone give a few comment on what my friend's 07 M6 might be worth? The family is letting me drive it around a little and I'll be bringing it to the dealer soon to have them check it out further. At the same time, I'll ask them what they would take in in for as either a buy-out, or a trade-in. Given what it needs, I'm thinking I'll need to spend another $5-7k on top of whatever I buy it for (breaks, tires, ABS pump)

I already own 4 BMWs, including an 88 M3 and a 98 M3. I certainly don't need another BMW, but the M6 is such an awesome beast that I'm starting to convince myself that I really ought to buy it. :2:

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would low ball it. Give them $25K and use the extra $ to fix it. These cars can be an expensive headache if not maintained meticulously, but you can alleviate your headache by getting the car dirt cheap!

My personal preference is to buy low mileage and then baby the car which minimizes random shakedowns but even with this approach I just blew $900 on a engine oil cooler at 34000 miles lol

·
Registered
657 Posts
Oops double post.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I would low ball it. Give them $25K and use the extra $ to fix it. These cars can be an expensive headache if not maintained meticulously, but you can alleviate your headache by getting the car dirt cheap!

My personal preference is to buy low mileage and then baby the car which minimizes random shakedowns but even with this approach I just blew $900 on a engine oil cooler at 34000 miles lol
Lemme guess you bought the oil cooler from the $tealership?

Behr is the manufacturer for the oil cooler that goes into our beasts...BMW just sticks their badge on it and prices it $900 + like $500 plus for labor (they go off the book price). If you look on eBay, you can find the same thing for $400...and like $150 in labor at an indie to get it all done.

Just a heads up to save money for anyone else who goes through oil cooler damage.

For the OP,

If you're really serious about getting an M6, most of the members here would recommend spending a little extra for the LCI (2008-2010) version. Software already comes upgraded + has a newer overall look to it. For warranty, make sure you get a good one that covers at least power train.

- Tash

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Dave - Hope you're doing well. Regarding the 07 M6, I think the car could be brought for a decent price without short changing your late friend's family. I would have the car inspected by a local INDY shop and obtain a quote on what needs fixing or replacing to bring the car up to par (Engine codes, brakes/rotors, tires etc) Once you have the quote, you will be in a much better position (informed) to know whether the car is worth buying. On the flip side, your friend's family will be able to decide whether to sell you the car at market price minus repair cost or something on those lines.

At the end of the day, whether your friend's family sells you the car or to someone else, they'll probably wouldn't get much for it because of the impeding repair/replacement costs. So if you look at it from this angle, you're essentially not low balling the family. Also, given your situation, I would try to focus on conducting the business on hand without allowing too much emotions involved - It'll make the transaction cleaner.

Keep us posted on what happens.

Reactions: jimsm6
1 - 5 of 5 Posts