BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oldest sons and I plan to start doing high performance driving schools this year in preparation for moving to club racing next year. I know it sounds nuts, but we want to get some track time both in the e30 M3 race car I bought, and also in our street cars. They are an e36 M3, e46 M3 coupe, and my beast an e39 Dinan S2 M5 with Dinan brake upgrade. On the race car, I want us to learn the handling limits on street tires instead of the Hoosier slicks so we have an audible indication of the traction limit. I'm also thinking about swapping wheels and tires out on the other cars to save the daily driving street tires from excessive wear.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good tire to use for this application that is a nice balance between stickyness and wear?

Thanks!

- Aaron

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Aaron,

I would look into the R compound tyres available. Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, Toyo R888 are just a couple options out there. These are very high grip tyres that still give progressive breakaway with audible warning. If you want to go even more down the ladder, the Michelin PS2, Bridgestone REO5OA, and Toyo R1R are viable candidates. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Aaron Penkacik

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Yep...

Toyo RA1 and Nitto NT01...
+1. 'Dunno much about Nitto's, but RA-1's are excellent track/street combo tires for your M5. 'Get surprisingly good wear, too. Just keep them @ 39 - 40psi (hot) when at the track, and they'll give you great performance/durability.

·
Registered
92 Posts
+1 on the Toyo RA-1. Fine tires. I use these for my track days, but take them off otherwise as I don't agree that the wear is acceptable. I guess it's a matter of money.

I took note of your comment that you plan to learn to drive the race car on street tires. My chapter of BMWCCA holds the same philosopy - that you'll learn more with a little less tire. They discourage students from running the R-compound tires, recommending instead the max-performance summer tires( Michelin PS2, Toyo T1R, etc). If you buy into this, you could save yourself some money.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a path now...

And have ordered the Toyo RA-1s. They will be on a track car and won't really see much street use except for occasional "drive the race car to work days" since it is registered and inspected. Thanks to all who provided advice - you make it easy for a new racer to get started...!:)

·
Registered
877 Posts
My oldest sons and I plan to start doing high performance driving schools this year in preparation for moving to club racing next year. I know it sounds nuts, but we want to get some track time both in the e30 M3 race car I bought, and also in our street cars. They are an e36 M3, e46 M3 coupe, and my beast an e39 Dinan S2 M5 with Dinan brake upgrade. On the race car, I want us to learn the handling limits on street tires instead of the Hoosier slicks so we have an audible indication of the traction limit. I'm also thinking about swapping wheels and tires out on the other cars to save the daily driving street tires from excessive wear.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good tire to use for this application that is a nice balance between stickyness and wear?

Thanks!

- Aaron
If I can figure out a way to become 10 years younger can I be your son too :dunno:

What an unbelievable line up of cars to learn in... please keep us updated. Oh, and as they say, VIDEOS or BAN!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Start out with Falken Azenis RT-615 and work your way up to R-comps. Going with R-comps right away will give you false confidence and will mask driving errors. That tire provides excellent balance between cost, wear, and traction characteristics.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try them!

Thanks Alex - I have the Toyo's on order and will have them mounted this weekend. I'll give the Falkens a try next. I appreciate your input!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts