BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Windows XP VM with INPA 5.0.2 installed. With USB pass-through from the host OS to the guest, everything seems to be working correctly.

My goal is to make a single VirtualBox file available for download with simple instructions on getting it going. People can just install VirtualBox on their laptop, import the image, plug their cable in and go.

Unfortunately, I only have a Mac laptop and a Linux laptop to test with. I'm looking for someone with a currently working INPA setup (cable, etc) that has a Windows laptop to help test things with me. I'll need you to install VirtualBox, import the VM and then document any other steps it took to get the VM/INPA running correctly. It should basically be as simple as configuring USB pass-through on the host, but I don't know yet if other steps will be needed. If possible, I'd like to also have a 'bare' Windows laptop be tested -- something that doesn't have a working INPA setup / usb-to-serial drivers installed.

I'll have the image available for download early next week, but I wanted to throw a feeler out there for interested parties.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I have INPA running in windows 7 pro and on XP mode (VM), I also have DIS v57 and SSS on win7 (VM) and am currently working on getting DIS v44 (GT1) running on win 7 (VM). Let me know if I can help as setting all of this up is a PITA

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have INPA running in windows 7 pro and on XP mode (VM), I also have DIS v57 and SSS on win7 (VM) and am currently working on getting DIS v44 (GT1) running on win 7 (VM). Let me know if I can help as setting all of this up is a PITA
Allison, thanks. I'd be interested in working with you to build a 'master' VM that has all of the tools installed for people to use. I only have access to INPA right now, so that's all I've been able to install. I'll touch base with you early next week with the download URL. :byee55amg

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
INPA is pretty straight forward - try doing this for GT1 ;)

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Slightly off topic(!) but can you confirm that diagnostic tests like the VANOS test work on v44 but not on v57?

Back on topic, I have INPA working on an old Vista laptop with a dead battery but I would love to get it working on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop. I have neanderthal-level skills on PC's so I'm the perfect volunteer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have recently bought BMCables offering and everything is working with Win7 or 8, 32 or 64 bit. They have a installer that installs everything automatically. I have one Win7 HP laptop and Win8 tablet running every software. I believe you are trying to bring it under one VM, it will safe some installation hassle but the installer approach is not bad as long as it works.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Slightly off topic(!) but can you confirm that diagnostic tests like the VANOS test work on v44 but not on v57?

Back on topic, I have INPA working on an old Vista laptop with a dead battery but I would love to get it working on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop. I have neanderthal-level skills on PC's so I'm the perfect volunteer.
Every time I try to run the VANOS test with v57 I get "No Test Schedule" so I as far as I can tell the VANOS test for the S62 is not available with v57.

Most people have no problem running the VANOS test with v44, I however, am still having issues getting this VM running properly. DIS comes up and all the Administration functions work as they should, but as soon as I try to enter "Diagnose" or "Coding" the bloody thing becomes unresponsive. So, if anyone has a clue as to why this is happening to me (save for bad karma) their input would be greatly appreciated. :1zhelp:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Every time I try to run the VANOS test with v57 I get "No Test Schedule" so I as far as I can tell the VANOS test for the S62 is not available with v57.
I have run a VANOS test on multiple E39 M5's in the area with v57. You have to change the protocol translator before starting into DIS and then it works. It took a while to figure that one out.

Reactions: AGM5

·
Registered
301 Posts
I can volunteer as well. I have Win7 home premium 64bit and a working INPA and virtualbox already. I'm also very experienced with all matters IT related so I can help debug, experienced in scripting with bash, batch and perl as well. Let me know if needed

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I've been swamped at work -- there's a Bash exploit in the wild and on Oct 1 a Xen exploit is hitting the world. Needless to say, there's been a lot of scrambling :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts