BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I am in the market for a pressure washer, and I was wondering if anyone here has any advice on the best one to get.

I am undecided on a high-end electric pressure washer (either the Briggs & Stratton or a Karcher), or a mid-level gas pressure washer (likely a Karcher). I know the performance in terms of overall pressure is quite significant between gas and electric models. Just wondering if a decent electric pressure washer will be sufficient for cleaning my cars and spraying down my garage and driveway. The electric pressure washers are quite a bit cheaper than the gas models, and they seem fairly convenient to use. My hesitancy with the gas units is the noise and inconvenience of maintaining the engine of the unit. The noise is probably the biggest issue for me.

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated! My budget is about $500.

Thanks!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Bueller? :confused:

I know it's the middle of the winter, and most of us are not overly concerned with detailing our cars right now, but I'm very curious to know if anyone on the Board uses a pressure washer, and if so, which one? :1zhelp:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Spend some time on autopia.com.

In my experience the electrics will be marginal for you needs ( especially for the drive way). Also they are very noisy also. Finally, with moderate use expect no more than five years. I would get from Sams and keep the receipt because of the " no questions" return policy

I use a semi-pro (prosumer) gas model and it is very versatile and use it for everything.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I am not a big fan of using a pressure washer on a dirty car. It is not that far off from sand blasting your clear coat. I bought a CR Spotless which allows me plenty of pressure (hose line only) to wash my car and allows me to utiulize the filtration and de-ionization. Worls like a dream.

CRSpotless.com - Wash, Rinse, and Walk Away

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a cheap Karcher ~2000 psi electric (<$200). It works pretty well on wheels, undercarrige, and wheelwells. On painted surfaces, it's not as great but enough to knock loose dirt/salt off before actually washing wish a sponge. The best part about the pressure washer, is my foam lance attachment. you put detergent in and it spits out soapy foam to cover your whole car.

The electric washers are worthless on a garage/deck/drive way. It'll take you days to clean your garage with it. get a gas one if you want to use it for around the house.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I am not a big fan of using a pressure washer on a dirty car. It is not that far off from sand blasting your clear coat. I bought a CR Spotless which allows me plenty of pressure (hose line only) to wash my car and allows me to utiulize the filtration and de-ionization. Worls like a dream.

CRSpotless.com - Wash, Rinse, and Walk Away
I agree on all counts. It was sort if understood on my part that the pressure would only be used on the undercarriage and wheel wells.

The other use is with a foam cannon.
http://www.autogeek.net/autogeek-foam-cannon-hp.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts