BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am a total newb when it comes to performance software. And it's my birthday today so I decided to spend a little money on the beast. I'm looking for something cheap that will give a little power to her.

So my question is. What is the best performance software?

All I've been able to find so far is the
Conforti Shark Injector

BMW E39 M5 Conforti Shark Injector Performance Engine Software - E39 M5 Shark Injector

Does anyone have any other ones they might suggest? Is this a waste of money?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :wroom:

Oh and my car is 100% stock.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
195 Posts
Look into the Evolve Power tune with Alpha-N

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Roughly you can go with Conforti's Shark injector, Powerchips, Evolve, or ESS I think. Search for those makes on here (search titles only to narrow the results).

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
After `175,000 miles of running Dinan Software.... I myself Finally made the switch to Powerchip.... I wish I would have done that from the Beginning... Its amazing how much of an improvement it has made to my car. I highly recommend this route... The best part is the customer service for you tune and ease of self Install... Not all M5s are created equal nor should your software !!!

I know you want something inexpensive but if you wait and save a few more $ your wont sacrifice you expensive car... Even though M5s aren't to much money these days the parts havnt got any cheaper...

·
Registered
295 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
So I bought my M5 in December. I put SS headers on it and did the shark injector, then took it to the dyno. The tune didn't make any power over stock, it was waaaay too lean. It was jerky and hard to drive. Suffice to say, I was unhappy. I got it line for the Evolve Alpha N tune and waited (impatiently). I finally got the cable last week and Sal (Evolve) made a program specific to my car with my mods! I installed it and drove it for a day before Sal suggested making another change to the fuel map. Installed new flash and drove the car for the last two days.

Results are amazing! Car is much smoother, much stronger and much easier to drive smoothly. The customer service at Evolve is incredible and I would highly recommend them to anybody. Obviously, this flash costs more than a Conforti Shark Injector, but it is worth every cent. I now own a $300.00 Conforti paper-weight.

Dyno results next week!

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts
So I bought my M5 in December. I put SS headers on it and did the shark injector, then took it to the dyno. The tune didn't make any power over stock, it was waaaay too lean. It was jerky and hard to drive. Suffice to say, I was unhappy. I got it line for the Evolve Alpha N tune and waited (impatiently). I finally got the cable last week and Sal (Evolve) made a program specific to my car with my mods! I installed it and drove it for a day before Sal suggested making another change to the fuel map. Installed new flash and drove the car for the last two days.

Results are amazing! Car is much smoother, much stronger and much easier to drive smoothly. The customer service at Evolve is incredible and I would highly recommend them to anybody. Obviously, this flash costs more than a Conforti Shark Injector, but it is worth every cent. I now own a $300.00 Conforti paper-weight.

Dyno results next week!
Thanks for the feedback. It was really cool working with you on the M5 and the M3. Did your father push the M3 yet?

·
Registered
295 Posts
M3

Thanks for the feedback. It was really cool working with you on the M5 and the M3. Did your father push the M3 yet?

I took it out for a fast run yesterday. It works great. I'll try to dyno it next week as well and I'll keep you updated!

Reactions: evolve automotive

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
My car is currently stock, but I'll need to upgrade once I get my headers on. I'm currently leaning toward the Evolve tune, mainly because it's MAF-less. Powerchip would be my first choice if I wanted to keep the stock MAFs.

The Shark Injector is cheap, but I don't like that it's not customizable, you will end up with an increased rev limiter, which I personally think is a bad idea on our cars. Reviews I've seen have been mixed, some love it, some hate it, which is enough for me to want to stay away from it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
MAF tune

My car is currently stock, but I'll need to upgrade once I get my headers on. I'm currently leaning toward the Evolve tune, mainly because it's MAF-less. Powerchip would be my first choice if I wanted to keep the stock MAFs.

The Shark Injector is cheap, but I don't like that it's not customizable, you will end up with an increased rev limiter, which I personally think is a bad idea on our cars. Reviews I've seen have been mixed, some love it, some hate it, which is enough for me to want to stay away from it.

FYI, I had Evolve do a MAF tune on my E46 M3 and it is amazing. I'd recommend them for either type of tune.

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts

We have software which keeps the MAF's too and the reviews are very similar. It makes a big difference to the way the car drives and gives a healthy but safe increase in power.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Ok so I am a total newb when it comes to performance software. And it's my birthday today so I decided to spend a little money on the beast. I'm looking for something cheap that will give a little power to her.
Happy birthday bro! :happybirt

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have the Conforti, I like the fact that it's DIYable and you can easily reverse it back yourself...but I hear good things about the Evolve.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have Evolve powermap without Alpha-N. Throttle jerkyness is gone, nowdays iam allways driving sport mode on, before i drove sport mode off because it was too "ruff" to drive.
Power increase is amazing, my car pulls way more stronger :) At somepoint ill go with Alpha-N beacause i want throw those MAF sensors so far away :p

In your case i strongly suggest that you check your camtiming, adjust it spot on and then go with powermap + Alpha-N, you will notice the difference :M5launch:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a few aluminum 3.5" MAF delete tubes available for those of you doing Alpha N tuning.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
evolve all the way sal is a great guy to deal with

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
TMS has been offering a revised version for those who want to keep the stock rev limit. I know this because my stock rev limiter was retained with my Shark.

The only issue is throttle response jerkiness and the lack of customization. SharkEdit has been vaporware and I still do not know what the point of that USB slot that came with the shark will be used for. I doubt it'll ever come to light.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Secondary air bypass

Powerchip; especially if yoy need the secondary air flow "skip"...
Evolve offers the secondary air bypass as well. They also use a more comprehensive software setup than Powerchip. I considered both, but I received much better customer service from Evolve.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts