BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I don't get to post here much but I am hoping to have a reason to be over here more often soon. I am currently in search of a really nice E34 M5. I am no stranger to E34's as I have owned 4 of them before. I currently DD a really solid blk/blk 535i 5 speed on coilovers. I pretty much did every single mod that you could do to it other than a turbo. I am to the point where I really want to have a M5 to play with, problem is always finding one that isn't going to be a money pit or that doesn't have a ton of miles on it. Also most of them around my area have rust issues of some kind. If anybody is interested in selling their M5 or knows of a well sorted one, please let me know. My email is [email protected] dot com.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I used to own a E34 535i back in 1990 and I got an E34 M5 in 2008 thinking that why not get the best E34 has to offer, however I still miss my 535i which is a better all around car IMO. Why not get a E24 M6 instead?

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...9-ot-e24-m6-17k-miles-4sale-near-perfect.html

Check out Bring a Trailer or German cars for sale blogs, they tend to have pristine examples. Good luck...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, not really interested in a M6. They are cool cars but I am a E34 fan all the way. Love having room for people in the rear and 4 doors.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I used to own a E34 535i back in 1990 and I got an E34 M5 in 2008 thinking that why not get the best E34 has to offer, however I still miss my 535i which is a better all around car IMO. Why not get a E24 M6 instead?

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...9-ot-e24-m6-17k-miles-4sale-near-perfect.html

Check out Bring a Trailer or German cars for sale blogs, they tend to have pristine examples. Good luck...
I'd be interested to know in what areas an E34 535 is a better all-round car than an E34 M5?

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^Hey, what's up bud! As you can see I am still of the fence as to whether I want to go this way or another route if the right car comes along.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I'd be interested to know in what areas an E34 535 is a better all-round car than an E34 M5?

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)
+1

If he said cheaper I would agree, but poster said "I still miss my 535i which is a better all round car than an e34 M5"

·
Registered
175 Posts
Steve Mac & Vadas1,
As I said, in my opinion, I prefer 535i > M5, as for my needs as a daily driver it's easier to live with, in terms of performance (mine was auto) low end torque & instant acceleration was not all that different. I also don't particularly like the short gearing on an M5. Perhaps because of the type of driver that I'am which is more a cruiser than racer. For me, 535i suits me better.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We'll see. I am having a hard time giving up my 535i right now because it is nicer than most M5's I am coming across. The one I am really wanting to pickup is giving me trouble because the owner is a jerk and won't get back to me ever. He basically told me he is too busy to get me info on the car at the moment. Sothe search continues. I am not looking for aquire a nightmare, so I will take my time finding exactly what I want.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'll pass along some valuable (pun intended) information given to me when I was on the hunt:

"A worthy E34 M5 is between $12k-$15k. Either you pay that up-front in purchasing a well-sorted example, or you will pay it post-purchase in getting the car up to snuff"

Initially, I thought that was a load of bunk and I set off searching for one. Here I am - a year later, and guess what?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been told this by other guys. I am glad I am spending good time to look into cars and shop around for the right car. Small things here or there are to be expected with a car like this. I have owned 4 E34's so I know what I am getting into. Of course everything is taken up to another level with the S38. My goal is to find a deal on a lower mileage example with the maintenance kept up. Obviously would be great if the guy was a enthusiast and he knew a lot about the cars and performed proper warm ups before driving the car also. I really like the idea of your car Dan. I spent some time looking at your posts of BFC and going over some of the info. Only thing I don't really like is the color of the car. Never really been a fan of white E34 M5's and the wife just bought a white car. I know you have addressed lots of issues and replaced all the main wear parts, and the mechanics are a large part of a M5 purchase. I am in no hurry to buy, so I am going to continue to look and inform myself as I go. I am currently doing a lot of maintenance on my 535i 5 speed in anticipation for the Cars and Coffee season.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Googone20,
I am going to be posting my car up for sale in the next couple of weeks. Flip through my pictures, specifically the "Happy Birthday" album and let me know if it looks like something you would be interested in. It is a great condition, runs excellently and only has 140000km on it (less than 100k miles).
I can send you more details if you want.

- David

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The real problem is federalizing the car in the US. It would be such a added headache and expense. Not sure if it would be worth it, but would be curious if anybody else has done it and knows what cost would be.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, that's what I thought they were. Isn't a very attractive number for a car that can be had in the US.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts