BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team,

Today while driving to drop my M5 off to have some leather work done, the car began to idle very roughly, stumbling to a low RPM and almost stalling. Then it threw an SES light and went into limp mode. Luckily I was only half a mile from my destination. I parked the M5, turned the car off, and restated it and the rough idle and SES remained.

I would have stayed to trouble shoot the issue but I had my 4 month old with me and we needed to get him home.

Is there any one in the Sterling, VA area with a Peake tool willing to stop by to read the codes for me? The M5 will be at the leather repair location Mon-Wends next week (12/15-12/18) and it would be a big help to get the codes read. I know it's a lot to ask, but I would be very appreciative.

TL;DR - Looking to enlist a volunteer in NOVA with a Peake tool to read a few SES codes.

Feel free to reach out to me via email - michael DOT Scott DOT Ford AT G Mail DOT com

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,108 Posts
I don't understand? How could you buy this car and not budget for a code reader? Look where it has got you now. Not to offend but if this is your DD and you have not given it, it's own personal bank account you maybe in for a world of hurt. I hope you have ordered or bought a reader of some sort in the past few hours since this post. A Peake is only $100 and as the other poster has an OBDII can go for as little as $30.....

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
OP- You know the old says, "Pray to God... but row towards shore"?

Why not ORDER the peake tomorrow (row) and maybe someone will pull codes before it arrives (pray).

Almost undoubtably the advice will be "read codes, CLEAR them, drive around, see what comes back"...asking someone to simply pull the codes is one half of that advice...what will you do after you clear them and the CEL comes on??? THAT second read will be the 'true' current codes.

Order it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies - a kind gent in Sterling VA stepped up and is kind enough to lend a hand.

I ordered a peake tool shortly before I started this thread last night so I'll be good to go for next time.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Peake is a must and INPA/DIS are nice to have on the laptop. If you need further help, let me know and I'll bring my laptop for a quick check.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Do we really have to hammer the man for not having a Peake code reader in a split instant after owning this car? Yeah it's a nice tool, but with a 4-month old I'm sure he's got other priorities.

LS-1 if I'm ever in the Alexandria, VA area (my wife has family near there), I'd be more than happy to read codes all day for you and buy you a beer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the support. Feels like we have a great community here.

Quick update - The codes came back as multiple misfire with cylinder shutdown. After digging a bit we found that the fuel injector in cylinder 1 failed and was running wide open and flooded the cylinder. We sucked out the fuel in cylinder 1, replaced the defective fuel injector, changed the oil (because it was contaminated with fuel) and she is running well. Well I think it's running well - RRT helped me out in a jam and did the work to get her back running. I haven't picked the car up quite yet. With a new kid, it's tough to find the time.

Next steps - Adam (Clemster) is going help me knock out some preventative maintenance to try and avoid any further reliability issues. I cant thank him enough for all is help and advice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just reading the replies with the offers of help made me feel what a great community this is. I am proud (and happy) to be part of it. GL with the preventive stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Definitely a great community. Glad to see you got help! It feels good to know we have people who are so willing to help. Hope all is well with your beast, cheers!

·
Registered
10,108 Posts
I appreciate your concern but the dis is out of love not hate. Yes we should. There seems to be be a trend for young men to buy these cars without any education. Then they reach out to a community that own the cars, and purchased them well educated.
Alot of people bought Peakes just to buy the car. Best place to get kicked is on an board, you don't want your friends or wife doing it.
I have no idea what his bill was but I suspect it was a significant amount in comparison to what he paid for the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts