BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
And can't find any.

Help?
Are you trying to replace the shaft? I would start by disconnecting it on the column side, observe how it goes through the firewall and unbolt anything there that might hamper pulling it out. Then get underneath and remove the pinch bolt on the steering box side. Use a prybar, etc to get the shaft off the 'box. It is collapsible, FYI. At that point I would speculate you can pull it out from the interior, but I've never removed one so everything I said is based on my general automotive knowledge tied in with work I've done around the steering shaft (replacing steering gear box, etc.).

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Well, I have it out, but the gasket that it passed through on the firewall is kicking my *** :p
Nice. Were my tips pretty much in line? Did anything not apply? I ask so that we can have the thread updated with proper info for future thread searchers.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice. Were my tips pretty much in line? Did anything not apply? I ask so that we can have the thread updated with proper info for future thread searchers.
My situation was a bit unique, because I had the lower portion of the shaft already removed (refreshing the front end bits, lowered the front subframe). Looking at the lower shaft, it appeared to not be keyed, so when I was trying to reassemble it blindly, I assumed I had the wrong angle. In fact it was keyed, apparently, so doing it again I'd rotate it blindly until it properly lined up.

To insert the lower portion of the shaft, the gasket/bearing it passed through must be removed from the firewall. Note the orientation during removal, as it has to go back in the same way. The gasket has lips that must be sealed on both the sides of the firewall.

Other than that, attach the steering box side first (if disconnected)? Shaft can be removed from the steering wheel side with some gentle alternating prying. It just compresses in on itself, as you said. For reassembly, I gently tapped it back in place.

Every component of the steering system between the box and steering wheel is keyed in some way.

·
Registered
694 Posts
My situation was a bit unique, because I had the lower portion of the shaft already removed (refreshing the front end bits, lowered the front subframe). Looking at the lower shaft, it appeared to not be keyed, so when I was trying to reassemble it blindly, I assumed I had the wrong angle. In fact it was keyed, apparently, so doing it again I'd rotate it blindly until it properly lined up.

To insert the lower portion of the shaft, the gasket/bearing it passed through must be removed from the firewall. Note the orientation during removal, as it has to go back in the same way. The gasket has lips that must be sealed on both the sides of the firewall.

Other than that, attach the steering box side first (if disconnected)? Shaft can be removed from the steering wheel side with some gentle alternating prying. It just compresses in on itself, as you said. For reassembly, I gently tapped it back in place.

Every component of the steering system between the box and steering wheel is keyed in some way.
what were your symptoms? Why did you replaced it?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what were your symptoms? Why did you replaced it?
Car has 150,000 miles on it and the front subframe was out for the project. While I was in there, I did everything I could think of to not need to drop the subframe again till 250,000 miles. I did every bushing, bearing, mount, and steering component on the car.
(did the same on the rear not long ago, and the engine before that-- I just prefer to do it all when I go into an area to minimize the amount of times I'm in an area/maximize the reliability of the car)

·
Registered
59 Posts

I need to do the same, getting quite a bit of play in the steering wheel that does not transmit to the steering box. Do you have any pic's or the R&R? Also, is anyone aware of a Delrin or Powerflex replacement for the OEM rubber coupling bushing? Thanks1

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need to do the same, getting quite a bit of play in the steering wheel that does not transmit to the steering box. Do you have any pic's or the R&R? Also, is anyone aware of a Delrin or Powerflex replacement for the OEM rubber coupling bushing? Thanks1
I do not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
Obioban
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing